Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a Pug and a Siberian Husky get on together?

Options
  • 25-01-2008 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

My partner and I have moved into a new house with a large rear garden.

For a long time I have wanted to own a Siberian Husky. I have done alot of homework regarding their temperament, exercise needs etc.

My partner wants to buy a pug.

So we have agreed to the idea that we might buy one of each.

So my question is, if we bought a pug and a husky both at approx 8 weeks old and brought them up together would they get on?

The pug would be more of a house dog while the husky would be primarily a garden dog.

Would the husky get jealous of the pug being allowed into the house more?

I look forward to your comments / advise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

kellyr4 wrote: »
    husky would be primarily a garden dog

What does this mean? Surely if you want a dog for company and the joys of owning a dog, leaving it out in the garden defeats this? This forum is extremely pro-adopt a rescue, so be prepared to get lots of suggestions! I would meet some people that own Huskies. I have some friends that have them and I find them quiet difficult, strong hunt instinct, dominant, intrusive...

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kellyr4

By garden dog I mean that it would not necessarily be free to roam the house as much as the pug could purely down to its size.

It would be walked every morning and evening and would be allowed into the sitting room to relax. Its bed would also be inside the house.

From the reading I have done on the siberian husky I have learned that they make an ideal family pet and are extremely loving and great with kids. I am also aware of their desire to run which is why it would be walked as much as possible and have a large garden to play in. I have also read that there is a misconception that due to its wolf-like appearance it has some temperment traits of a wolf, however the husky is no more related to the wolf than any other breed of dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

I certainly wouldn't agree with that huskies make ideal family pets. They are a demanding breed that needs a lot of exercise and they usually end up in the back garden as they can get quite destructive when not exercised enough. Are you planning to do some sledding with your husky? I really feel, from my own experience with the breed, that they need this type of activity as they are, as you probably already know, bred to do this.
    I don't understand why you are planning on leaving the husky outside on it's own, they are very social animals and need company.
    You also say that huskies 'has some temperament traits of a wolf' what are they if you don't mind me asking?

But to answer your question there is no reason why a pug and a husky wouldn't get along but if you ask me it's insane to get 2 pups at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

IMO it would be unfair to threat the two dogs differently.

-Yes they will get along if introduced properly and given the right care, although the pug will probably think it's a husky and the husky will probably think it's a pug because it's the only thing they will see!

In my opinion they should be given the same privilages, eg. if you want to let the pug on the sofa because it's small and you dont want the husky up there. Neither of them should be up there. It's your sofa - no theirs.

Just bear in mind you are buying to very different dogs in regards to care. The pug will drool and the husky will shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

The only wolf like traits that I know of is the howling, which is a trait in many dogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 kellyr4

Thanks for your comments.

Annika I said that there is a misconception that huskies have wolf-like traits i.e. that they can be viscious and attack people, just because they look like them, however they are loving and caring but also highly active animals.

I think you are confusing me with a person who would leave a dog outside all day long in the cold and rain.

What i meant was that it terms of practicality, due to the size difference between both dogs, the pug would be more suited to running around the house whereas the huskie would be more suited to running around the garden but would also be welcome to relax, eat and sleep in the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

Sorry my mistake about the 'wolf like traits', still too early for me to be out of bed:D.
    Huskies are not that large that they won't be able to live indoors. The huskies that I've had throughout the years have been real couch potatoes and have always lived indoors:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

I can say you have done your reading. but huskies are hard work. I have two and three kids and they are brill with kids. but they need company of a dog that is fit for them. they can be hyper. my girl dog is laid back couch potatoe but my dog is mad in the head.:D but the get on the best. my dogs are never left on there own in the house as I would have every pulled out by the time I get back. but I am not away that often and they look to get out to there box at night as the house is to hot for them. as for getting 2 pups at the same time I do think it can be good but do your home work a bit more as I don't think you should have 2 dogs with different lifestyles. the would get jealous. If I was getting a husky the need company so possiable get your first pup and give it a year then you would know if you have time for a husky. if you are planning kids don't get your husky yet. A husky is a lifestyle chose and not just a pet. I have a hectic life but my dogs are part of that but it is not for everyone.:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

kellyr4 wrote: »
    My partner and I have moved into a new house with a large rear garden.

For a long time I have wanted to own a Siberian Husky. I have done alot of homework regarding their temperament, exercise needs etc.

My partner wants to buy a pug.

So we have agreed to the idea that we might buy one of each.

So my question is, if we bought a pug and a husky both at approx 8 weeks old and brought them up together would they get on?

The pug would be more of a house dog while the husky would be primarily a garden dog.

Would the husky get jealous of the pug being allowed into the house more?

I look forward to your comments / advise

No way i put a husky with a pug god!as the pug would deemed be to small for the husky.Why not try to get a similar breed together sizewise maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

If they are both gotten as pups they will get along together,but,two energetic pups take up alot of your time.My two dogs are inseprible.
    If you bring only one of them for a walk,the other will jump the wall because they were bought at the same time and as pups.

• Advertisement
Advertisement