Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

progress report

Options
  • 25-01-2008 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

let's take stock of where things stand at the lane.
    Firstly, our league position. We're twelft with 27 points from 23 matches. This time last year we were ninth with 33 points from 24 matches. Despite all the points thrown away late in games, the undermining of the manager, the dressingroom being subsequently unsettled, and the change of manager, coaching staff and style, we're in a broadly similar position in the league to last season. Fifth is unlikely, but sixth or seventh is realistic.
    Next Ramos. This guy takes no ****. I still remember the way he whipped Alves off at the Lane when he started agting the maggot in the UEFA CUp. he stared straight past the Brazilian as he trudged by. (Boetang should and will get his arse kicked for similar on Tuesday). He has Chimbonda and Berbatov playing with real intent again. Robinson will have to stop whinging, knuckle down, or piss off. This is as it should be.
    The team is notably fitter and stronger since the changeover.The players couldn't wait to get their shirts off and show us all their tone on Tuesday. The energy levels that follow mean we can maintain a high tempo game for ninety minutes. Witness the reading game and the two LC legs with Arsenal. This is a good thing, we have finally entered the 21st century.
    Style-always key at the Lane. We played the Ramos way on Tuesday- putting immense pressure on the ball, denying space, and breaking in numbers with intent. In the 93rd minute Jenas and Malbranque, who had covered miles all night, broke from their own half to create the fifth goal. This football is technically satisfying, and exhilerating. The lane responded with a display of energy and fitness of it's own. Ninety minutes of passion that Scousers or geordies would be hard pressed to match.
    The test that Jol (still a hero for much that he did and his dignity, and BTW did you see his ode to Keano in the Sunday Times? great stuff) could never pass was against the top four. We must beat Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Man Utd regularly before we can consider an assault on the CL.That's the standard. Like it or not, they are among the top dozen clubs in Europe. Beat them and you can beat anyone. Sunday is important. Moral victories are irrelevant. I think ramos can prepare a team to win on Sunday, and at Wembley.
    Signings- The summer was a disaster. We wanted Distin (or similar), Petrov (ditto) a holding midfielder, and a fourth striker, as Mido could not stay fit. We got Bale, an excellent signing, and Bent- a good player, but overpriced and too good for fourth fiddle, Kaboul- callow and KPB who looks like a misfit in the PL so far.
    This time we're chasing Hutton, Tiago, Gilberto, and now Woodgate. This looks more like it. Players with a bit of steel- ready to play at this level. Woodgate's fitnes is a worry of course, but I'm willing to trust Ramos to come out on top here. The Commoli situation is unsatisfying. Now that Kelmsley has left and seems to be F***ing Liverpool up, whispering in Hicks and Gillettes ears, Commmoli may be isolated at Spurs. 2 questions. Is Kelmsley working for UTD or Chelsea , wrecking potential rivals, and can Commoli be trusted with our money? I'd like to see the back of him.
    That's how I see things anyway.

Advertisement