Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Door draught

Options
  • 25-01-2008 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

My front door is slowly driving me insane.

No matter what I do to try stop draughts coming in, there's no stopping them.

I've put that thick rubber draught excluder all around the edge of the frame and door itself. Packed in as much as I could to allow the door to close with the locks catching properly.

The door itself is one of those wooden ones with glass panels. You lift the door handle to lock the door with a three-point locking system.

I don't really want to go down the route of putting a heavy curtain at the back of the door, so at this stage, am I better off just getting the whole door replaced?

The hallway is noticeably colder than the rest of the house, especially on a windy day like today.

The house itself is about 10 years old...so do front doors have a lifespan?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

mick_irl wrote: »
    My front door is slowly driving me insane.

No matter what I do to try stop draughts coming in, there's no stopping them.

I've put that thick rubber draught excluder all around the edge of the frame and door itself. Packed in as much as I could to allow the door to close with the locks catching properly.

The door itself is one of those wooden ones with glass panels. You lift the door handle to lock the door with a three-point locking system.

I don't really want to go down the route of putting a heavy curtain at the back of the door, so at this stage, am I better off just getting the whole door replaced?

The hallway is noticeably colder than the rest of the house, especially on a windy day like today.

The house itself is about 10 years old...so do front doors have a lifespan?

where is the draught coming from? Have you felt around the inside of the door? Could it be coming from around the frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

The frame seems to be ok.

The silicone on the outside between the bricks and frame seems to be intact.

One problem is the letter box. The springs on each side, because of general wear and tear, have loosened a lot. That should be easily enough replaced.

Advertisement