Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embarrasing Spills

Options
  • 25-01-2008 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Not sure if there's been a thread on this before but has anyone got any good stories of embarrasing self-inflicted spills?

Got back from work yesterday evening, grabbed my gear for training, hopped on the old dog mtb, stood up to accelerate and...the chain slips and I go over the handlebars, taking a big lump of skin off my hand, cracking my knee and somehow buckling the front wheel. Picked myself up from the ground 5 yards from my gate, noticed taxi driver parked about 10 metres down the road staring at me and then limped back inside the house. Nice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 skim

a few years back i ran into d back of a parked ambulance and broke my nose coming around a corner and was talkin 2 d lad beside me prob d mort embarrasin ting 2 happen 2 me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

skim wrote: »
    a few years back i ran into d back of a parked ambulance and broke my nose coming around a corner and was talkin 2 d lad beside me prob d mort embarrasin ting 2 happen 2 me

are you typing on a phone?

aren't all spills embarrassing? last winter i took a spill about 30 feet from my own front door (it was very icy, honest) and looked up to see a group of 3 teenage schoolgirls laughing their arses off at me. that was humbling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I had a spill at some traffic lights when my trouser leg caught in my pedal and I was clipped in on the other side. This was opposite two garda cars at night when I didn't have any lights on. In all fairness, one of them came over and asked was I ok. (He thought that I had been clipped by one of the cars behind me at the lights).

I went out and got bike lights the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

niceonetom wrote: »

aren't all spills embarrassing? last winter i took a spill about 30 feet from my own front door (it was very icy, honest) and looked up to see a group of 3 teenage schoolgirls laughing their arses off at me. that was humbling.

but the most embarising are always are infront of school kids aren't they, have had quite a few in the ol iccey conditions my self

;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Cycled up to the lights, stopped and fell over. Ah, the wonders of SPD's.:rolleyes:
    In fairness, not one of the drivers behind beeped when the lights went green. They all waited patiently for me to untangle myself from the bike and pick self and bike and badly damaged ego up from middle of junction and move to side of road. I'm sure they were all laughing at me but I hid behind my shades and pretended not to notice them.:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

This is embarrasing only because there was no good reason for it at all - no ice, no bad winds, no cars to blame - just me having a dozy moment. Cycling home from work or training one night, just at the top of the hill of my estate I sort of just drifted lazily into the curb at about 2 miles an hour, the wheels stopped and I rolled off the bike. I popped up again and checked that nobody had seen then carried on my way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Persius

Touring Mayo a few years back. Twas evening and I was tired after a long day's cycle with panniers on the back as well. Came into some village and saw a sign with a map on it. Cycled over to have a look at it. Stopped just before the sign and forgot that my feet were clipped in (SPDs). In slow motion the bike, with me still clipped in, fell over to the side and on to the ground. Couldn't believe how stupid I was. The biggest injury was to my pride :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

My brakes stopped working and I didn't have enough time to get them fixed. This was coming home with a few friends. We were going down a steep hill when a taxi suddenly comes out and everyone stops. I hit my friends hind wheel and get flipped over. I was actually pretty lucky since nothing bad happened. Didn't cycle again until I got my brakes fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Already recorded on a previous thread.

In November, I cycled into a section of wet concrete on a footpath. (same as the movies). My pride was definitely hurt!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

I was on my bike at the shops oneday, was sayin hi to these two birds i kinda knew, and cycled straight into the side of a car that pulled out in front of me. The aul ego was not in the best of shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Hit a Mercedes SLK Compressor a few years back - hit some ice, turned into the skid and the front wheel bounced out from the kerb at a right-angle. The front of the car devoured my front fork and front wheel, made a fair mess of my handle bars too. Miraculously, the only thing that needed repairing on the car was a front headlight; of course on a Merc that ran to €600 or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

One time a few years back ,I was going about 5mph coming up to a set of red lights.

Forgetting about my new magura brakes I pulled them very hard and went over the handlebars in slow motion. It defied the laws of gravity because I was going to slow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

_Brian_ wrote: »
    One time a few years back ,I was going about 5mph coming up to a set of red lights.

Forgetting about my new magura brakes I pulled them very hard and went over the handlebars in slow motion. It defied the laws of gravity because I was going to slow :D

That would've been absolutely hilarious to see! I had a similar experience when I was younger - borrowed my friend's bike to do a big back tyre skid but didn't realise the brakes were reversed so ended up slamming on the front brake. Stopped myself from faceplanting over the handlebars at the cost of what felt like a 30 second ball-crusher on the stem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

_Brian_ wrote: »

Something similar happened to me. I had recently tightened the brakes cos they were getting a bit loose. Was wheeling towards a stop in college when I slammed on the brakes forgetting I had tightened them.

Ended up making a tit of myself but only had some skinned hands and a bruised ego

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I crashed into the back of a parked car one cold wet Sunday morning. I looked up and there was the roof. :o

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I didn'd really have an embarrassing spill until now. As I mentioned in another thread, I just got a new set of brakes. Threw them on on Thursday night and went down to the basement carpark in my building to see if they were working alright. No problems there, so I started fiddling with my cadence sensor. At one point I wasn't paying enough attention to where I was going as I was looking down at the computer and rode straight into a concrete pillar. Split my head open and was in the Mater until five in the morning waiting to get it stiched up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I was heading out of my estate to go play some footie. A neighbour, guy about a year older than me, and his mate were headin off to Wicklow to go for a spin. I thought "I don't wanna get chatting here", so I sped up the to the top of the road, hit some wet leaves going round a bend and slid sideways off the bike.

Banged my bike up a bit, cut my elbow and knee and destroyed my watch. So there is me, trying not too look like a total tool as the neighbour appears behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Blowback

A bright sunny morning when the sun was low and you cannot look straight in front of you as it is blinding
    .Cycle this way every day .There are traffic cones in a neat straight line at the side of the hard shoulder always!!! This sunny morning they decided to huddle themselves in a group for a chat, I had my head down and went straight into them.Problem was there was a line of traffic just sitting there wondering what sort of a loolah was I?

Advertisement