Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

beat the clampers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

They'd try and fit one over it - the nice blokes that they are

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Best solution is to carry a generator and an angle grinder around in your boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Best solution is to pay for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Anan1 wrote: »
    Best solution is to pay for parking.

And hope that the clampers actually look for the ticket and not just clamp you cause it can't be seen from the van, as happened to someone I know.

Tauren wrote: »
    And hope that the clampers actually look for the ticket and not just clamp you cause it can't be seen from the van, as happened to someone I know.
    In all fairness, do you think that's a regular occurrence?

• Advertisement

I know its happened twice up at Temple Street, to two nurses.

I know its happened twice up at Temple Street, to two nurses.
    Where (trying not to smirk) did the nurses put their tickets?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Can clampers not issue general parking fines anyway? I have thought about buying 4 of them myself before though :D

Where (trying not to smirk) did the nurses put their tickets?:)

On the dashboard. You had to walk up to the car to see it, but still...

Know of another time one of them saw a car getting clamped 10 minutes after it became a free parking zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

the clampers clamp would fit over them. I was being clamped a few weeks ago when i closed the car door the ticket flew off the dash, caught the clampers just in time.

Cheapskate city council decided that the tickets don't need to have stickers on them anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭10-10-20

In all fairness, do you think that's a regular occurrence?

Yes, I tore a new 'exit point' for a clamper one night as he applied a clamp to my wife's car outside our house. Car had the correct parking sticker on the front window, but the lazy sod didn't bother looking.

He didn't even apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

If perchance the clamper puts the clamp on a back wheel of your car then put a supermacs/mcdonalds tray under it and drive away. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

My father in law was at a rugby game once and came out to find his car clamped.

He had a big lump hammer in the boot and hammered the LARD out of the clamp and it fell apart.

He then ripped up the notices and drove off........and when he told me the story i thought that he'd get a big nasty fine in the post.

Funny thing is he never did. And its years ago!:cool:

I have to say, lads, this is all news to me. I've been leaving my ticket on the dashboard since clamping was introduced, and the only two times I was ever clamped were when I hadn't paid. On a side-note, i'm driving a SAAB 9-5 at the minute - it has a little clear plastic clip on the windscreen for holding your parking ticket. How thoughtful is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have to say, lads, this is all news to me. I've been leaving my ticket on the dashboard since clamping was introduced, and the only two times I was ever clamped were when I hadn't paid. On a side-note, i'm driving a SAAB 9-5 at the minute - it has a little clear plastic clip on the windscreen for holding your parking ticket. How thoughtful is that?

skoda and many vw s also have that little clip on windscreen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

Do clampers not have to take a picture of your front and rear windows now when they clamp you? I've seen parking wardens doing this several times...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Any clamper I have ever seen has taken numerous photographs of the car before either clamping or lifting (as I saw in cork) the car away.

Pretty sure they have to do this so that the car owner does not claim against them for damages or mysterious scratches that appear.

Plus, should you be clamped when you have already paid and displayed a parking ticket im pretty sure that it leaves the clampers open to legal action against them. And the onus would then be on the clampers to prove that you did not display your ticket, another reason why they need to photograph your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

On a side-note, i'm driving a SAAB 9-5 at the minute - it has a little clear plastic clip on the windscreen for holding your parking ticket. How thoughtful is that?

Is THAT what that thing is for?! Theres one in my Dads A6 too, always wondered what it was for :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Surely they had to walk up to the car to put on the clamp? Did they win on appeal?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Yes, I tore a new 'exit point' for a clamper one night as he applied a clamp to my wife's car outside our house. Car had the correct parking sticker on the front window, but the lazy sod didn't bother looking.He didn't even apologise.
    Know of another time one of them saw a car getting clamped 10 minutes after it became a free parking zone.

Scum!!! The ones they have around UL have pad locks on them anyways, so if i'm ever clamped, i refuse to give the 70+ year old security lad money to take it off. I'd pop into Limerick and invest in a lock snips or a hacksaw. Keep the clamp. They'd be at the loss of it. Say there was no clamp on it when i got there. Nothing to do with with me :rolleyes: Then clamp a security van at night. See how they f*cking like it. They only clamp students, events in the concert hall, the general public park EVERY WHERE, blocking stuff left right and center. None of them are ever clamped.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

AFAIK it is an offence (criminal or civil, don't know?) to remove a clamp and drive off. I know of one lad who did it in Dun Laoghaire harbour and was duely caught and done by the Harbour Police.

I once saw two clampers walking around a Ferrari scratching their heads, as the clamp was too small to fit over the wheel. So many benefits... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

kodute wrote: »
    Best solution is to carry a generator and an angle grinder around in your boot.

I have the MASTER KEY to the bar at the back of the CLAMP! and I never got clamped once??

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Yes, I tore a new 'exit point' for a clamper one night as he applied a clamp to my wife's car outside our house. Car had the correct parking sticker on the front window, but the lazy sod didn't bother looking.

He didn't even apologise.

no surprise there :rolleyes:, im sure he even felt hard done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Scum!!! The ones they have around UL have pad locks on them anyways, so if i'm ever clamped, i refuse to give the 70+ year old security lad money to take it off. I'd pop into Limerick and invest in a lock snips or a hacksaw. Keep the clamp. They'd be at the loss of it. Say there was no clamp on it when i got there. Nothing to do with with me :rolleyes: Then clamp a security van at night. See how they f*cking like it. They only clamp students, events in the concert hall, the general public park EVERY WHERE, blocking stuff left right and center. None of them are ever clamped.

So that's still going on in UL. Funny you should mention clamping security.
    Lads in my class did that when I was in UL. Went to the trouble of finding out where Clampus Security stored the clamps and then robbed one. Sat in the bushes outside D block until security had parked their van their one night and gone in for tea break or whatever it is they do, clamped the van.... (and the icing on the cake)... welded the lock so it couldn't be opened with a key. They then got back into the bushes and filmed the security guys trying to get the clamp off when they came back out. The lads then jumped out of the bushes wearing balaclavas to scare them. Very funny video.

They were also responsible for clamping several lecturers cars who parked in the disabled parking space at the side of the Schrodinger. Cue more filming, welding, superglue and balaclavas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I don't think you can get a clamp on over an existing clamp. :D

Advertisement