Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chances of getting a visa?

• 25-01-2008 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Myself and my boyfriend would love to take a year out and go traveling. We talked about it loads and we decided that we would go at the end of the year! We were checking online on how to get a visa for australia when it hit us it might not be that easy as my boyfriend has previous convictions.
    He has 22 convictions consisting of drunk and disorderly, threatning and abusive behaviour (while being drunk and disorderly) and has driving convictions. He has never been to prison or anything he always just had to pay a fine and had to do comunity service once or twice. He's not a scumbag by any means but on paper it looks like he is!! He just has a habit of getting himself into stupid positions.
    On the visa forms it asks if you have any previous convictions and if you do you must give detailed descriptions of what happened and you must give police reports. From what I am reading online you will only be refused if you have serious convictions and have been in prison for more than 12 months.
    What I want to know is if anyone has had any experience with anything like this? Also, what is the procedure that the visa people go through? Can they check your criminal record?? And do they??
    Thanks.
    Please no replys like "he doesn't deserve to be in the country" etc!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You better ring the Oz embassy and ask - they're the one to issue visas. Just give a fake name and ask you questions.
    22 is waaay too much in my opinion (but I'm not the one to issue visas). Sure 1 might be ok but 22...
    When was the most recent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If i recall correctly you do not have to declare any convictions for which time has been served. I'd double check that though.

http://www.immigrant.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'll send this to the Travel forum but be warned that you can't post as unregistered there. It is, however, more fitting for that forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

visa4oz wrote: »
    Hi,
    He has 22 convictions consisting of drunk and disorderly, threatning and abusive behaviour (while being drunk and disorderly) and has driving convictions. He has never been to prison...

maybe is time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

my mate was refused entry to Australia and also America due to his 1 conviction. He was caught with a few pills down at oxygen 2 years ago. He just got a fine but it went down on his record as a drugs possession charge or whatever. So unless they view drugs in a whole different light your boyfriend may have trouble. my mate got an interview to explain his situation in both circumstances though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I know in America drugs are seen as different than other convictions, not sure about Australia though.

I still don't see how someone can get into a stupid position 22 times though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

If you have any kind of conviction involving drugs then you cannot get a visa!! I know a guy who has a few convictions including one for possession of cannabis and he answered "No" for the convictions answer on the visa form for australia and got one no hassle!!
    I've heard (although im not sure how true it is) that they dont have access to criminal records and the only way you can get caught out is if you get into trouble in the other country then they can access your information?
    22 convictions sounds lot but sometimes when you get into trouble once you get thrown 5 convictions for the same thing!!

Advertisement