Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs and Pigs

• 25-01-2008 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

The hubby wants to know why muslims hate dogs and pigs, they are his favorite animals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

We don't eat Pigs. So even if we don't like them, its works out pretty well for the pigs :D.

As for Dogs, well I like dogs. Some Muslims consider them dirty, but as long as there kept clean, I don't see much of an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

wes wrote: »
    As for Dogs, well I like dogs. Some Muslims consider them dirty, but as long as there kept clean, I don't see much of an issue.

They don't taste so good. I ate dog a couple of times in China and it was pretty nasty. Pigs are OK though.

PDN wrote: »
    They don't taste so good. I ate dog a couple of times in China and it was pretty nasty. Pigs are OK though.

We don't eat Dogs either btw, there considered Haram as well. I meant keep them as pets lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

What about sheep, they can get pretty dirty climbing the hills and mountains, don't get me wrong, I really like sheep but I wouldn't like to keep them in the house if you know what I mean

What about sheep, they can get pretty dirty climbing the hills and mountains, don't get me wrong, I really like sheep but I wouldn't like to keep them in the house if you know what I mean

Sheep tend to be kept on farms and generally not as pets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Pigs are usually dirty only because people keep them in conditions where they cannot help but be dirty. In terms of being "unclean"...well, sheep have more disgusting diseases than pigs in my opinion.

Liver fluke anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭takumi

i dont think we are allowed to eat any animal that eats meat. like dogs lions etc.pigs eat every thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

The hubby wants to know why muslims hate dogs and pigs, they are his favorite animals
    Actually, Muslims don't hate dogs or pigs. We don't eat pork but that doesn't mean we hate pigs. As Muslims, we should love all of God's creations... even mosquitoes :)

The reason that Muslims don't eat pork is because Muslims believe that God has disallowed it as He has disallowed it for Jews and Christians in their holy books (the predecessors to the Quran).

As for dogs, there is a lot to be said on this topic but from some research that a cousin of mine did a few years back, there's no reason to consider dogs any more unclean than any other pet. There is a hadith (saying/tradition) of the Prophet Mohamed (peace be upon him) that says that if a dog eats from a dish then you should wash the dish seven times (the first time with soil) before being used again for humans. People often use this hadith to say that dogs are unclean but there's nothing to actually say that the dog itself is unclean.

There is also another hadith that says a person should not keep a dog unless it be for hunting or guarding your property but I'm unsure as to the authenticity of this hadith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Dogs are clean animals

Cleaner than many ppl actually! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 wotisthere

Ye , they dont Drink either !(alcahol)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

well, I think people must remember that in the time of the Prophet , dogs would generaly be roaming in packs scavanging in populated areas , like they do today in Iraq etc.... so they would have been very unhygenic at the time !!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

So I take it that he never eats either dog or pig then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Muslims dont hate dogs! Dogs are Great, I have 2 dogs in my house :D
    as for Pigs,... just because we dont eat them doesnt mean we hate them!
    its simple really....Muslims dont eat any animal that feeds on meat, or have a fang. the animal we feed on must be raised on vegi diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

If dogs and pigs are unclean animals, and some have suggested that it is indeed okay to touch a dog and have one as a pet as long as it is clean, would it not be the same if one had a pig as a pet?

Jakkass wrote: »
    If dogs and pigs are unclean animals, and some have suggested that it is indeed okay to touch a dog and have one as a pet as long as it is clean, would it not be the same if one had a pig as a pet?

I don't think there is a specific prohibition against having a pig as a pet in Islam, but I don't think there has to be. I don't think they make good domestic animals tbh.

I think if you touch a dog you need to clean yourself before praying again thats all. It does not state you cant or should not touch a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

There are wide varying opinions on that actually DinoBot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Pigs are usually dirty only because people keep them in conditions where they cannot help but be dirty. In terms of being "unclean"...well, sheep have more disgusting diseases than pigs in my opinion.

Liver fluke anyone?

Liver Fluke is regional to sheep- Asian Goats and Sheep would have a lower incidence of this pest than say Northern European breeds, thanks to the wetter climate we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Jannah

Dogs, if they have a purpose (guide dogs, guard dogs etc) are okay so long as they don't enter the house as you'll find the more you look into Islam that cleanliness really IS next to Godliness!! There is also a belief that a dog in one's house keeps out the angels, but I most definitely wouldn't say that muslims *hate* dogs!! As for pigs, they are haram to eat, along with animals with claws or canine teeth such as dogs, cats, etc but pigs are especially bad because they are seen as dirty and impure because they are fed really disgusting scraps of everything and anything and live in filth. For any Christians on this site, pork is SUPPOSED to not be consumed by them either as Jesus- and all Jews for that matter- also believe and this belief has been carried forward in holy scriptures such as the bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

just in relation to islam and animals and im sorry if im off the mark here but i think i read somewhere that Muhammad had a particular liking for cats, even washing himself before prayer from the same basin/bowl his cat drank from, is this true?

just in relation to islam and animals and im sorry if im off the mark here but i think i read somewhere that Muhammad had a particular liking for cats, even washing himself before prayer from the same basin/bowl his cat drank from, is this true?

I think I recall hearing that before. But is it true ? dont know. But at least that one is harmless :) What a strange question, you seem to be very concerned about Islam and animals.

It reminds me of a talk I was at few years back on 'Islam and the west', held by Dr Bilal Philips. Very interesting, questioned if Islam is compatible with the western mindset (his conclusion was no btw)
    But at the end he opened the floor to questions.
    The main question was "Are doorbells, which play a tune, allowed in Islam?" ...................I suppose different people have different priorities in life.

• Advertisement

I highly doubt it. People are always making up weird things about the prophet Muhammad (PBUH) to make him seem like a freak and a paedophile, its all stupid western shock tactics to encourage Islamaphobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

dont really think if you wanted to breed islamaphobia you would invent a story about Muhammad liking cats, Just thought it was an interesting story in light of the mistaken perception a lot of people have in relation to Islam and certain animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Gaothfar

Just goes to show what piffle all religion is.

Gaothfar wrote: »
    Just goes to show what piffle all religion is.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=614

Good for you, the forum above, may be more to your liking then ;).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Jannah wrote: »
    I highly doubt it. People are always making up weird things about the prophet Muhammad (PBUH) to make him seem like a freak and a paedophile, its all stupid western shock tactics to encourage Islamaphobia.

to be fair, we haven't made up that he married a nine year old. you can't really pin that one on anyone but yourselves, or himself.

Mordeth wrote: »
    to be fair, we haven't made up that he married a nine year old. you can't really pin that one on anyone but yourselves, or himself.

As far as Muhammad (pbuh) and his marriage to Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) is concerned, it is completely unrealistic to compare their situation with that of today. She was actually ALREADY engaged when Muhammad (pbuh) met her, but she was engaged to a non-muslim man called Jober Ibn Al-Moteam Ibn Oday, an engagement of which her father was reluctant to agree to, but Muhammad (pbuh) agreed to marry her at approximately 9 years old (the age differs according to its source) and consumated the marriage when she had reached puberty at 14 / 15 (again, depends on the source). During these times, it would be completely acceptable for such an event to occur and in comparing it with today's norms, it just isn't fair. Her marriage to the Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) at an early age allowed her to be an eye witness to the personal details of his life and carry them on the succeeding generations. By being both spiritually and physically near to the Prophet , the marriage prepared her to be an example to all Muslims, especially women, for all times. She developed into a spiritual teacher and scholar, since she was remarkably intelligent and wise. Her qualities helped support the Prophet's work and further the cause of Islam. Aisha, may Allah be pleased with her, is the Mother of the Believers and also a commentator on the Qur'an, an authority on hadeeth and knowledgeable in Islamic Law. She narrated at least 2,210 ahadith that give Muslims valuable insights into the Final Prophet's daily life and behaviour, thus preserving the Sunnah of Muhammad (pbuh). The changes Islam brought to Arabic culture are astounding and extremely progressive when one looks at where the people were beforehand.
    dont really think if you wanted to breed islamaphobia you would invent a story about Muhammad liking cats, Just thought it was an interesting story in light of the mistaken perception a lot of people have in relation to Islam and certain animals

Muhammad (pbuh) 'liking cats' is one thing, but to outrightedly say that he bathed in the same water as cats, is blasphemous.

Jannah wrote: »
    During these times, it would be completely acceptable for such an event to occur and in comparing it with today's norms, it just isn't fair.

So, to be clear, are you saying that by todays standards such an act would be immoral ? And if so, do you think it will remain so forever ?

By today's standards such an act would be ILLEGAL, however, whether it would be immoral greatly depends on who you ask and their culture. It is more of a cultural clash than a relgious one, really. With the rise in paedophilia (or at least, the newfound acceptance that it happened in the past aswell) people are losing track of the truly important aspects of Islam and instead trying to villainise it. People fear what they don't understand and thats why it is important to have sites like these in which ignorance can be dispelled and people no longer feel the need to hate what isn't normal to themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

wes wrote: »
    We don't eat Pigs. So even if we don't like them, its works out pretty well for the pigs :D.

Why is this? Is there any historical/Social explanation for this religious observance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Oops, posted twice.

Advertisement