Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Burst sump

Options
  • 25-01-2008 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

My old man was driving home from Navan yesterday in his 00 diesel scenic.

He hit a rock in the road and pulled over as soon as he did, everything seemed fine, no problems so he jumped back in the car and he drove away.....about 2 miles down the road the oil warning light came on,.....**** he said.

He jumped out of the car there was oil pi55ing from the sump all over the road. In his wisdom, he jumped into the car and drove about 40 yards into the car park of the ardmore hotel.........

ANyway, im just looking for advice? will that drive he did into the ardmore have fcuked the engine? How much is he looking to pay for a new sump (or where can he get one?)

Any advice greatly appreciated. He has a volvo s60 but he needs the scenic for carrying some samples when he is working so i need to get him back motoring asap.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As to whether he did any damage, it's fingers crossed time I guess.

Fot the sump, i'd start with Renault. If they want crazy money, then try a scrapyard, www.micksgarage.ie, or www.ebay.co.uk. I'm NOT recommending this, but I have seen sumps repaired with chemical metal.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If the sump has no sensor built in it's cheap enough. If the car was still running right when he pulled in it probably has no engine damage. I had the same thing happening to my Octavia about a year ago. I had it towed from Dublin to Navan and left overnight outside the garage. You should have seen the lake of oil under it. Even with the sump cracked at least another 2 pints of oil leaked out. The cost of repair came to around 200 euro including parts ( non sensor pan ).

Advertisement