Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN Supported by O2 mobile broadband

Options
  • 25-01-2008 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

Long time reader but new poster :) Please move if this is in the wrong forum!

Does anyone know if O2 mobile broadband allows you to connect to a VPN??

I have read somewhere that 3G does not support this so wondering if all the mobile broadband providers are the same! I have searched their website and the net and can't find any information! (I also tried ringing but was on hold frown.gif )

Thanks
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It did the last time I tried it. In fact when I was setting up a VPN server at home that's how I tested it (my home access is on Digiweb Metro).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

I use it regularly to connect from home to work using Nortel Contivity without any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭dos7749

Will o2 also allow you to run a server on your home network..? (What I need is a client like from no-ip.com to point to my IP address) I'm using 3 (three.ie) and this doesn't work on this service... Also, do you get your own IP on o2? Again on 3, this is something which is shared with many users.. Can someone using o2 offer some light?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

O2 you get an individual dynamic IP. I wouldn't host anything on it though.
    (a) Too low an upload speed
    (b) Probabily forbidden in T&C
    (c) Cap might be too small
    (d) Not reliable enough connection. All 3G/EDGE/HSDPA is essentially fast dialup. If connection is dropped manual intervention may be needed and you need a dyndns client all the time as each time it reconnects it may get a different connection.

You want a Business class Broadband for self hosting and preferable to use shared hosting from about €29 a year. I do have access to my home server via VPN, but that is just for occasional personal access. I wouldn't host anything for anyone. And I have 2 x 1Mbps upload speed and probably no cap.
    For actual shared content I have cheap hosting in Dublin (see sig) and also USA (slower).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I use Cisco VPN software with O2 with no problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement