Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken own Beamish now

Options
  • 25-01-2008 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭

Heineken and Carlsberg have just pushed through a deal to buy (and spilt) Scottish and Newcastle, who are Beamish's parent company.

Heineken are taking all the Irish business arms of S&N, so they now own Bemish.
    Not good news for the brewery I think

http://www.just-drinks.com/article.aspx?id=92805&lk=nfl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

They already own Murphys right? It might help Beamish break into new markets if it has the power of Heineken behind it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

JohnK wrote: »
    They already own Murphys right? It might help Beamish break into new markets if it has the power of Heineken behind it...

Maybe...

But two minority stouts owned by one company??

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Alo10

Yeah - would be a shame to see it go - had developed a taste for it after a few trips to a free bar in Beamish House - but it is sold in a few other countries and recently (mentioned on 96fm today) been launched in the US - http://www.scottish-newcastle.com/snplc/brands/allsnbrands/#b

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

well i was in france last year and didnt see either guinness or murphys.... as i used to when i worked in bars in paris and the south of france... it was ALL beamish.... i dont drink the stuff but was chuffed all the same....

does a brewery owned by another namebrand smell any sweeter? or more like mouldy teabags?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

But two minority stouts owned by one company??

And will that same company see a good reason to sell one cheaper than the other?

When will they rebrand the brewery - like they did with the Murphy's Brewery?

If I worked there I'd be worried about consolidation, selling off of land etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

When travelling ive noticed you can ofteb find beamish in the middle of no where but murphys less so. uppose thatll stop now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

Kind of scarey though. Kind of like when the muppets were bought out by Disney.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

dark days ahead for Beamish. Better have a few more pints of it before it's fate is sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I don't think either brand will disappear, however I would be worried about both breweries surviving. With both of them sitting on potentially lucrative city centre sites it would be very tempting to the bean counters to sell at least one of them off and consolidate production at a single site. This is particularly ominous:
    Heineken will own S&N's operations in the UK and Ireland, Portuguese, Finnish, Belgian, US and Indian operations.

Advertisement