Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christian 'Apologist' or 'Apologetic'?

• 25-01-2008 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

I've always know the term for someone who takes part in Christian Apologetics to be 'Christian Apologist', but is it ever correct to call such a person a 'Christian Apologetic'? I didn't think it was, but I saw somebody using that term.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I didn't think "apologetic" was a noun that could be used in such a manner.

But what would I know, I'm just an apologist. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

nij wrote: »
    I've always know the term for someone who takes part in Christian Apologetics to be 'Christian Apologist', but is it ever correct to call such a person a 'Christian Apologetic'? I didn't think it was, but I saw somebody using that term.

it doesn't sound right, I'd say Apologist is right. Apologetics is the adjective and apologist is the noun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Dades wrote: »
    I didn't think "apologetic" was a noun that could be used in such a manner.

But what would I know, I'm just an apologist. :)
    Apologetics is the adjective

An Apologetic (as in a noun) is used to describe a piece of writing or argument that defends something. So no you wouldn't describe someone and an apologetic but you may well describe their work as one.
    Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_apologetics

Advertisement