Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hibernian - Protected No Claims - Renewal quotes

Options
  • 25-01-2008 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

I am with Hibernian and paid for the protected no claims cover plus the step back no claims. I had been driving claims free for 7 years (never had an accident up to last year) so have a 50% discount. Since signing up I have had two accidents (one where I scrapped the side of my car on a gate post and one where I reversed in to a parked car opp my drive at home). Under the terms of the policy you are allowed 2 claims in a certain time period (I think it is 2 claims in 5 years) without losing your no claims discount. I'm kicking myself about my careless driving (even though my mum blames the green car I bought in June - not sure what that is about!) but am wondering......

If I want to shop around for insurance at my renewal date , can I just say I have X number of years no claims or will I have to declare the claims?

Logically speaking I would imagine that I would have to declare the claims in which case I won't get the full benefit of the no claims discount and will be wedded to the Hibernian for the foreseeable future.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation (re moving insurance companies after claiming under the protected no claims clause, not in incurring two careless accidents!) and what did you do? .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

No if your shopping around you'll have to mention the accidents. NCB protection should be re-named premium protection i.e. your next annual premium won't be impacted by the accidents however your NCB will be lost. Effectively your locked into staying with Hibernian for 5yrs. I think most insurers trot out the line Have you had any accidents or claims in the past five years?
    Therefore you'll only be able to say no if 5yrs time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i didnt work in sales but i am almost sure that you will be able to keep your full bonus.

yes you had 2 accidents and you have to declare them BUT you will be asked for a proof of bonus from your current insurer and if this says that they are still giving you a full bonus(which is 70% not 50%) then the company "should" honor that if they want your business. they dont have to honour it by any stretch of the imagination but i think they will anyway to get your business

edit; tere is no disadvantage to you ringing and asking them yourself by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

When you get your renewal notice with your NCD record, It will mention your NCD but also list the 2 claims and the ammount to settle them. You will be with Hibernian for a while. :(

Advertisement