Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda speed trap at night?

Options
  • 25-01-2008 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

hi one of my freinds got pulled for speeding last week the thing was that it was 11 o clock at night on a straight stretch of road doing 70 in a 60 zone(not the pont) it was all pitch black until all off a sudden a blue starts flashin on the other side of the road. long story short the cop had basicly been campin out in the hard shoulder on the road is car with no lights on im just wondering is he allowed to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I can't see why he wouldn't be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

hi one of my freinds got pulled for speeding last week the thing was that it was 11 o clock at night on a straight stretch of road doing 70 in a 60 zone(not the pont) it was all pitch black until all off a sudden a blue starts flashin on the other side of the road. long story short the cop had basicly been campin out in the hard shoulder on the road is car with no lights on im just wondering is he allowed to do this?
    one worded reply.

YES.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Bogger77 wrote: »
    one worded reply.

YES.
    indeed, not exactly rocket science. Of course they're allowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Get one of those speed radar dector thingies.

Works like a charm

No more problems.

.... unless you hit a three at 200mph after ploughing through a group of disabled children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hmm .. dont think so man, their all laser these days, hardly any radar guns left.

The best a detector does is tell you you've been caught.

• Advertisement

..erm.. sorry.. i mean radar...

digital...

bout.. €249.. in Andorra *cough*

..so im told *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

snyper wrote: »
    Get one of those speed radar dector thingies.

Works like a charm

No more problems.

.... unless you hit a three at 200mph after ploughing through a group of disabled children

Or get seen using is, as they are illegal to possess.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

By that logic, they shouldn't be able to do drink driving checkpoints during the daytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

i got done the same way some years back. never saw a thing till the blue lights came on in the hedge.

i think the thing I was really done for was waking him up - but the court summons said speeding.

why would it not be legal ? coz its unfair ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I think the OP may mean because it the Garda car was on the otherside of the road/had his lights off......Not that his mate just got done at night?

Though i may be wrong it would not be the first time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

so, lazer works perfectly at night too?

tell me, can they detect your speed as you drive away from them - let say - as you are driving down the motorway and they are up a slip road with the gun out........and your drving away from them?
    Just curious? or do you have to be driving towards them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Whats wrong with that? I don't see how it differs from parking a car at night. In fairness, have you ever seen a cop car on the side of the road at night, lit up like a Christmas tree to inform people of their presence while they are pulled over with the camera out the window.... they try the best method to catch people.

so, lazer works perfectly at night too?

tell me, can they detect your speed as you drive away from them - let say - as you are driving down the motorway and they are up a slip road with the gun out........and your drving away from them?
    Just curious? or do you have to be driving towards them?

Yes.
    Or get seen using is, as they are illegal to possess.

Il pass on the information to my friend *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I reckon the OP's question has been answered by now! :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Your all wrong. Traffic Squad are only allowed work 9-5 and even at that they must display a warning telling drivers they are doing a speed check and to slow down. Garda Ombudsman imo. :p

Funnily enough I was on a dual carriageway yesterday doing about about 5 over the speed limit and the traffic squad came out behind a parked truck on the other side - pulled out with the blues, I assumed they were gonna join my lane and come up but they didn't in the end.. Odd.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hmm Snyper, Im doing a *cough* college assignment *cough* on these. Whats the story with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Saw them on the road outside where I live yesterday evening. Guard hiding behind a tree catching traffic coming off a bend onto large open straight road.

First time I had ever seen them speed check in the dark and I reckon he would have nabbed every second car on that stretch. It's hardly what I would call an accident black spot either.

snyper wrote: »
    Yes.

Il pass on the information to my friend *cough*

Snyper, yes, they can do you driving away from them?
    or yes, they can do you driving towards you?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Snyper, yes, they can do you driving away from them?
    or yes, they can do you driving towards you?

Both! When moving away it simply has a minus at the start. I managed to see one working on an elderly couply as they walked along. Said something like -3 or something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

racso1975 wrote: »
    I think the OP may mean because it the Garda car was on the otherside of the road/had his lights off......Not that his mate just got done at night?

Though i may be wrong it would not be the first time

that is my point surely you cant just park on a hard shoulder in the middle of the night with no lights on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

antodeco wrote: »
    Both! When moving away it simply has a minus at the start. I managed to see one working on an elderly couply as they walked along. Said something like -3 or something!!

yep exactly. it does the same on cars except they are moving faster :D.

laser works by night too and in fact it has greater range due to the fact that it uses infared light reflections to determine a vehicles speed. by day the sun causes interference (even in Ireland :)) but by night the gun has less filtering to do.

if youre within a half a mile and speeding when you are targeted by one youre pretty much screwed :p

Traffic Squad are only allowed work 9-5 and even at that they must display a warning telling drivers they are doing a speed check and to slow down

erm.. no

I got done at 7am 3 years back

98mph in a 1997 fiesta.

antodeco wrote: »

good to know.........Thanks Antodeco!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

What road was he nabbed on me wonders. I wouldnt be suprised it its the duel laned N3 from Clonee to past Blanch to the M50. Cop cars seem to spring out from nowhere along there.

Dropping a guy home at 7am one Sunday months ago, coming onto the N4 inside the M50 heading towards Kilmanham, theres a white van with a speed camera out the back, hidding behind a huge pile of old Xmas trees. Almost missed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Its basically an ambush tactic and they do it all the time.

Theres a traffic cop from Boyle, works out of Sligo who parks the unmarked traffic car in farm gates along the N4 and props a bale of hay out of the boot during the day to disguise what he at.

Real peace of scum, must have been a fan of the Dukes of Hazzard when he was a kid, because I heard him give evidence once and it sounded just like an episode of this trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

WHITE_P wrote: »

Theres a traffic cop from Boyle, works out of Sligo who parks the unmarked traffic car in farm gates along the N4 and props a bale of hay out of the boot during the day to disguise what he at.

Real peace of scum, must have been a fan of the Dukes of Hazzard when he was a kid, because I heard him give evidence once and it sounded just like an episode of this trash.

i know what you mean. hope he gets a rash from the hay :D.

main tactic ive seen lately is to hide up a slip road and target cars from the rear as they pass by. very sneaky IMO and at rush hour as well. some poor sod after earning his crust for the day gets an 80 euro fine to take home to feed his kids with instead :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

D_murph wrote: »
    i know what you mean. hope he gets a rash from the hay :D.

main tactic ive seen lately is to hide up a slip road and target cars from the rear as they pass by. very sneaky IMO and at rush hour as well. some poor sod after earning his crust for the day gets an 80 euro fine to take home to feed his kids with instead :mad:

I don't care what any "holier than thou" people on this board think, nabbing people for doing 10 or even 20 kph over the limit on a HQDC or Motorway is fish in a barrel without any good reason (except raising money for the Station Christmas party) in my point of view.

If the vast majority of the deaths and crashes happen on bad roads and on accident black spots, then that's where the Gardai should be. Plain and simple.

Niall1234 wrote: »
    I don't care what any "holier than thou" people on this board think, nabbing people for doing 10 or even 20 kph over the limit on a HQDC or Motorway is fish in a barrel without any good reason (except raising money for the Station Christmas party) in my point of view.

If the vast majority of the deaths and crashes happen on bad roads and on accident black spots, then that's where the Gardai should be. Plain and simple.

All traffic cars should be out patrolling, not hidden at the side of the road. However one statistic that suprised me when I did a defensive driving course with Nifast a few years ago, was that most bad accidents happened on good straight roads on bright sunny days, Why !! because people get very relaxed in this situation, stereo on, window down, not really paying attention.
    Easy target for nasty traffic cops looking to get as many convictions as possible without actually working too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

WHITE_P wrote: »

Hey is he the one that used to hide in the phone box in Castlebaldwin or up on the old road section just out of Castlebadlwin towards Boyle ?

You go past Castlebaldwin towards Boyle, around the first sweeeping corner and he is parked on the old road looking down on you.
    Often thought it would be funny to get the phone number and start phoning him while he is at phone box :D

There also used to be motorbike cop parked beside tractor garage near turnoff for Riverstown. Really hard to spot on that straight section.
    Also spotted guard hidden in the entrance to that estate on straight section beofre you get to Castlebaldwin.
    Very hard to spot him peeping out from behind wall.

The ultimate I have seen on motorway around Maynooth was few years back.
    Estate car pulled up with back open, so looks like someone changing tyre or kids having piddle.
    Get closer you realise there is a guard lying prone inside with gun pointed out the back.
    Back door open upwards hides rear flashes and hides rooflights.
    Really sneaky ...

Or the famous garda that operated out of Ennis that I once saw on his knees hiding in the little hedge that was down the median of the dual carriageway between Cratloe and Bunratty.
    Ah those were the days when hedges passed as armco barriers :)

He is also the only guard I have met operating a checkpint at 5 minutes to midnight on New Years Eve night :rolleyes:
    Maybe there is book or TV show detailing all the efforts they go to to catch people speeding...

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    Hey is he the one that used to hide in the phone box in Castlebaldwin or up on the old road section just out of Castlebadlwin towards Boyle ?

You go past Castlebaldwin towards Boyle, around the first sweeeping corner and he is parked on the old road looking down on you.
    Often thought it would be funny to get the phone number and start phoning him while he is at phone box :D

There also used to be motorbike cop parked beside tractor garage near turnoff for Riverstown. Really hard to spot on that straight section.
    Also spotted guard hidden in the entrance to that estate on straight section beofre you get to Castlebaldwin.
    Very hard to spot him peeping out from behind wall.

The ultimate I have seen on motorway around Maynooth was few years back.
    Estate car pulled up with back open, so looks like someone changing tyre or kids having piddle.
    Get closer you realise there is a guard lying prone inside with gun pointed out the back.
    Back door open upwards hides rear flashes and hides rooflights.
    Really sneaky ...

Probably the same bloke. He also drives bikes. Has a BMW bike of his own, often in Coffees in Carrick On Shannon on Sunday mornings with a bunch of other bikers.

Advertisement