Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda speed trap at night?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

I'd be interested to see what would happen if a Garda died or got seriously injured due to having pulled into the ditch with no lights on.

Even pulling onto the break down lane on motorways can be dangerous enough with a bad crash last week showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Niall1234 wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see what would happen if a Garda died or got seriously injured due to having pulled into the ditch with no lights on.

Even pulling onto the break down lane on motorways can be dangerous enough with a bad crash last week showing.

im sure there would be uproar and whoever hit him would be toast.

its very dangerous to be stopped on the side of a main road. i had to pull over to answer a phone call the other night and i was hoping the passing drivers would see my lights and not hit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

OP, I've checked with the Traffic Corp and they have confirmed
    that none of the speed-guns issued to the Gardai are solar-powered
    and they are able to perform speed-checks 24/7, regardless of how
    dark it is.

:D

D_murph wrote: »
    im sure there would be uproar and whoever hit him would be toast.

its very dangerous to be stopped on the side of a main road. i had to pull over to answer a phone call the other night and i was hoping the passing drivers would see my lights and not hit me.

Exactly, the first thing you should do when pulled over at the side of the road is make your car noticable. Keep your dims on and turn on your warning lights.

Surely its a rule of the road to do so when pulled over. I find this activity by the Gardai to be potentially dangerous. God, people who are well lit up even get hit in this sort of situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

I don't care what any "holier than thou" people on this board think, nabbing people for doing 10 or even 20 kph over the limit on a HQDC or Motorway is fish in a barrel without any good reason (except raising money for the Station Christmas party) in my point of view.

If the vast majority of the deaths and crashes happen on bad roads and on accident black spots, then that's where the Gardai should be. Plain and simple.

Raising money for the Station Chirstmas party??? What sh*t are you talkin

• Advertisement

alfie wrote: »

here we go, it begins.................:rolleyes:

alfie wrote: »

I hear the Donegal lads used to have some shindig every year before the Morris Tribunal. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

snyper wrote: »
    erm.. no

I got done at 7am 3 years back

98mph in a 1997 fiesta.

7AM eh? Maybe the government decided to let them start early.

There is no way in hell a Fiesta can go at that speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Lets hope they don't clock an RAF Tornado then eh??? lol

"The RAF, truly, is the motorist's friend.

Canteen chatter currently centres on a heart-warming incident in which a pair of traffic policemen manning a speed-trap in Grampian directed their radar gun at a Range Rover speeding towards the crest of a hill.

To their surprise, the speed reading rocketed up to 366mph and then jammed. Shortly afterwards two low-flying Tornado fighter jets screamed over the crest of the hill. What the bobbies didn't know is that they came within an ace of being blown to smithereens. When their speed gun locked on to the fighters by accident, the tactical battle computer in the cockpit detected the radar lock and sent out the signal that jammed it. It also automatically armed and targeted an air-to-ground missile. Had the Tornados not been on training exercises, the computer would have let fly without pausing to consult the pilot.

The consensus in the RAF seems to be that it's a shame these precautions exist."

I know, it's only a joke. :)

you would be surprised actually ;). i had a 95 1.1 litre one and it could come close enough to believe that.

the ones from 03 upwards are capable of a bit more than that as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

antodeco wrote: »
    Hmm Snyper, Im doing a *cough* college assignment *cough* on these. Whats the story with them?

Had a thread on this radar detector business....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055222200

kleefarr wrote: »
    Lets hope they don't clock an RAF Tornado then eh??? lol

"The RAF, truly, is the motorist's friend.

Canteen chatter currently centres on a heart-warming incident in which a pair of traffic policemen manning a speed-trap in Grampian directed their radar gun at a Range Rover speeding towards the crest of a hill.

To their surprise, the speed reading rocketed up to 366mph and then jammed. Shortly afterwards two low-flying Tornado fighter jets screamed over the crest of the hill. What the bobbies didn't know is that they came within an ace of being blown to smithereens. When their speed gun locked on to the fighters by accident, the tactical battle computer in the cockpit detected the radar lock and sent out the signal that jammed it. It also automatically armed and targeted an air-to-ground missile. Had the Tornados not been on training exercises, the computer would have let fly without pausing to consult the pilot.

The consensus in the RAF seems to be that it's a shame these precautions exist."

I know, it's only a joke. :)

:D. im sure if you look up this

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.asp

you will find that it is an urban legend. from what ive read it seems to have happened in California as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

:D. im sure if you look up this

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.asp

you will find that it is an urban legend. from what ive read it seems to have happened in California as well.

LOL... hence the "I know, it's only a joke. :)"

Still facking funny to think about though! LOL

kleefarr wrote: »
    LOL... hence the "I know, it's only a joke. :)"

Still facking funny to think about though! LOL

i thought you meant the joke was the bit at the end where the RAF thought it was a shame these precautions were in place ;).

that would be funny too if you think about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

To White_P, if your man was actually on private land he has to have some justification for being there. Just doing speedchecks isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Sully wrote: »
    7AM eh? Maybe the government decided to let them start early.

There is no way in hell a Fiesta can go at that speed!

Speed gun said so .. :(

Galway to Athlone in 46 mins.

Ive grown up since then and slowed down ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

snyper wrote: »
    Galway to Athlone in 46 mins.

I know someone who claimed to have done the same journey in 37 mins. Mind you he did it in a Honda Prelude, and it was 4am at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

To White_P, if your man was actually on private land he has to have some justification for being there. Just doing speedchecks isn't good enough.

Another favourite spot on the N4 is haflway up a private lane at the bottom of Top O the Hill between Dromad and Carrick On Shannon. Particularly in the summer months. Catch all those surfers on their way to and from Sligo and Donegal.

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Another favourite spot on the N4 is haflway up a private lane at the bottom of Top O the Hill between Dromad and Carrick On Shannon. Particularly in the summer months. Catch all those surfers on their way to and from Sligo and Donegal.

The Garda was parked on a private lane ?

How are they allowed to do that.

The Garda was parked on a private lane ?

How are they allowed to do that.

Who's going to stop them. Think of how difficult they would make the landowners life if he complained.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Don't matter where he is if you're on the public road:D

Who's going to stop them. Think of how difficult they would make the landowners life if he complained.

If I was the land owner I'd instruct the Garda that he is tresspassing. If he came back I'd contact the Garda ombudsman.

With all the stuff that happened with the Morris tribunal you'd hope that the days of Gardai picking on people are over.

^X2. exactly. would you try and tell them to move :rolleyes:?

next time your brake lights or indicators fail im sure they will be the first to tell you if you mess with them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

that is my point surely you cant just park on a hard shoulder in the middle of the night with no lights on

Why not?

Speed limits don't just apply during daylight hours.

Why not?

hey.i like your username. simpsons fan?

while i agree with you in principle i have to point out one thing.

a car in the hard shoulder with no lights on is hard to see to many people at night and i for one would not feel comfortable being in one.

speed limits as they are get broken by people all hours of the day and its possible that you might meet an idiot that would hit you in the dark without your lights on, especially from behind in the hard shoulder of a busy main road/dual carriageway.

i find its best not to put myself in harms way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

hey.i like your username. simpsons fan?

while i agree with you in principle i have to point out one thing.

a car in the hard shoulder with no lights on is hard to see to many people at night and i for one would not feel comfortable being in one.

speed limits as they are get broken by people all hours of the day and its possible that you might meet an idiot that would hit you in the dark without your lights on, especially from behind in the hard shoulder of a busy main road/dual carriageway.

i find its best not to put myself in harms way ;)

Simpsons? Nah, I just like Skittles and beer :D

yep, cant get enough of that wonderful Duff :):D

Why not?

A person died in Cork last week, when she pulled into the hard shoulder on the Glanmire bypass. She had her lights on.

You seriously think that pulling into the hard shoulder with lights off is a good idea ?

I thought the Gardai were to enforce proper driving. This is shocking stuff from the Gardai.

If I was the land owner I'd instruct the Garda that he is tresspassing. If he came back I'd contact the Garda ombudsman.

With all the stuff that happened with the Morris tribunal you'd hope that the days of Gardai picking on people are over.

Never happen. If you have ever seen it in practice, you will know that its next to impossible to stop, unless you have some powerful contacts it the Gardai / government. Most complaints to the Garda complaints board are met with PFO replies, particularly if the alledged offences, you are being charged with are minor (like most motor related one's).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Sully wrote: »
    Your all wrong. Traffic Squad are only allowed work 9-5 and even at that they must display a warning telling drivers they are doing a speed check and to slow down

I'm sorry but that is complete shit.

A herd of cattle ran into my car on the road a couple of months ago at 11 at night, called the guards and they turned up at half 12... asked what station they were from and they said they were out from town...
    and added "you've got the traffic corps with you tonight"

Spotted them multiple times since crusin round after midnight in their unmarked focus saloon ;)

Advertisement