Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda speed trap at night?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Never happen. If you have ever seen it in practice, you will know that its next to impossible to stop, unless you have some powerful contacts it the Gardai / government. Most complaints to the Garda complaints board are met with PFO replies, particularly if the alledged offences, you are being charged with are minor (like most motor related one's).

I'm not talking about the person being prosecuted for speeding.

I'm talking about the land owner upon who's land the Garda is tresspassing. Trespass by Gardai, especially if they don't have a search warrant is fairly serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Niall1234 wrote: »
    I'm not talking about the person being prosecuted for speeding.

I'm talking about the land owner upon who's land the Garda is tresspassing. Trespass by Gardai, especially if they don't have a search warrant is fairly serious.

I was talking about what would happen to the landowner if they complained about the guards using their land for the purpose of speed trapping. The guards would definitly make their life miserable by stopping them when ever they went out in a car. And it wouldn't be just the guard who was on their land, but all his mates too. I've seen how they operate this type of thing in the past. Ask anyone in any country town who has got on the wrong side of the local guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

PaulKK wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that is complete shit.

A herd of cattle ran into my car on the road a couple of months ago at 11 at night, called the guards and they turned up at half 12... asked what station they were from and they said they were out from town...
    and added "you've got the traffic corps with you tonight"

Spotted them multiple times since crusin round after midnight in their unmarked focus saloon ;)

my mother was rear ended over a year ago. pretty hard too. neither car could drive away from it. she called the guards to the scene and one turned up 45 minutes later. the local station is less than 5 minutes away :rolleyes:.

he took down the details and had the nerve to suggest to them that they had better get the cars removed quickly in case they might cause another accident because they were on a bend in the road.

he says this after taking that long to turn up, yeah right :rolleyes:

i also agree with WHITE_P about what would happen to the landowner. i can easily imagine it happening because ive heard of it before myself.

they dont like it when you catch them out and yes, id be checking all my lights were working etc, before i went out if i were a landowner and had done something like getting them to move off my land.

just wouldnt be worth it due to the bully boy tactics that would be used on me after :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

if the cop shop was only five minutes away why did they wait on a bend in the road and has this topic suddenly gone from speed traps to Garda response

NBar wrote: »
    if the cop shop was only five minutes away why did they wait on a bend in the road and has this topic suddenly gone from speed traps to Garda response

if you read the post properly you would see that it was a bad crash and both cars were unable to drive away :rolleyes:.

5 minutes in a car but you have a point though. if she walked it she would have been quicker.

theyre plenty fast at getting out to man a speedtrap but not to do anything else it seems :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

D_murph wrote: »
    if you read the post properly you would see that it was a bad crash and both cars were unable to drive away :rolleyes:.

5 minutes in a car but you have a point though. if she walked it she would have been quicker.

theyre plenty fast at getting out to man a speedtrap but not to do anything else it seems :(

Ok it was a bad smash but if they are on a speedtrap is joe public not going to them ;)and there is no such thing as a traffic accident, they don't happen they are caused

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

D_murph wrote: »
    my mother was rear ended over a year ago. pretty hard too. neither car could drive away from it. she called the guards to the scene and one turned up 45 minutes later. the local station is less than 5 minutes away

But surely you don't think that the guards sit in the station waiting for something to happen?

TBH if both cars were badly damaged and couldn't be driven the guard should have had them recovered there and then. If your mum called the station I presume the first question the guards would have asked would have been if anyone was injured. If the answer was no then I would also presume it would be a low priority call if there were more pressing calls to attend to.

TheNog wrote: »
    But surely you don't think that the guards sit in the station waiting for something to happen?

TBH if both cars were badly damaged and couldn't be driven the guard should have had them recovered there and then. If your mum called the station I presume the first question the guards would have asked would have been if anyone was injured. If the answer was no then I would also presume it would be a low priority call if there were more pressing calls to attend to.

course not but 45 minutes was pretty bad and he had a bit of an attitude when he said that we should do it quickly.

IMO you have to preserve the scene as it was so that he could see who was at fault if any personal claims arise from it later on.

once he finished we shoved one car in behind a shop nearby and i towed the mothers home. a mile away roughly.

no one was hurt but one passenger of the other car was pregnant. dont know if he was told this though TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Another favourite spot on the N4 is haflway up a private lane at the bottom of Top O the Hill between Dromad and Carrick On Shannon. Particularly in the summer months. Catch all those surfers on their way to and from Sligo and Donegal.

Yeah that's the area I was caught at 11am on Monday morning :mad:

AFAIK Garda don't have to come to accident site unless someone is injured or they believe the accident is casuing an obstruction.
    Regarding the landowner complaining, it would not be a good idea for the owner.
    One old story I heard was a bar that did not accomodate some local Garda ended up getting continous hassel. They were raided numerous times, and the customers ended up drinking elsewhere.

Regarding the RAF story.
    Few years ago I was told story by helicopter pilot about airfield in Uk that had speed camera along a perimeter fence.
    One heli pilot flew low/close and triggered camera, spotted the flash so then everyone started doing it for a bit of fun.
    The police could not see any speeding cars on film so they sent out numerous repairman. They certified camera ok. This continued until the day a cop was parked nearby and spotted an offending helicopter buzzing the camera.
    Needless to say airfield and operators given stern warning.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement