Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAKO Quad

Options
  • 25-01-2008 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a SAKO Quad if so whats it like to shoot and can you tell me how the licencing works on the SAKO Quad. As this has interchangeable barrels, in theory one can have a 22 lr for targets and a 22 mag or 17 hmr for small game and vermin.

Question is does this count as 1 rifle on the FAC or two rifles or do the s/n on the barrells match the fire arm.

I looked at the varmint version on the web and it's tidy.

Many thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I think the consensus the last time this question was asked was that it would need multiple licenses. I could be remembering it wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Anyone have a SAKO Quad if so whats it like to shoot and can you tell me how the licencing works on the SAKO Quad. As this has interchangeable barrels, in theory one can have a 22 lr for targets and a 22 mag or 17 hmr for small game and vermin.

Question is does this count as 1 rifle on the FAC or two rifles or do the s/n on the barrells match the fire arm.

I looked at the varmint version on the web and it's tidy.

Many thanks

Dont have 1 but have tried 1 in .22lr with iron sights. Very nice to shoot and feels very good to handle. However my CZ .22 feels almost as good at nearly half the price! Yes, seperate FAC for each caliber (arse!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Thanks for the replies, Back to drawing board

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Though think about it, if you have an interest in owning at least two of the calibres (personally I'd like the .22lr, .22wmr and .17hmr anyway) it's going to work out a damn sight cheaper than three different rifles, and probably a lot easier to license too. Obviously depends on your local gardai, but I could see some being fairly understanding about the multiple certs issue. My own locals would probably find it more intriguing than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Had one in a 22 WMR, excellnt rifle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Need a licence for each barrel. Have one in .22lr, very accurate. Two mates have them in HMR, again very accurate.

If anything the cops should love them when you think of it as even if you had four barrels you'd still only have one trigger etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Question is is it just a gimick or is it genuinely useful.....

I see the practical side of the different calibres and such but i dont like all the faffing about changing barrels and different zero's and such

Well, it wouldn't be as though you'd be changing them in the field for a particularly long-range rabbit, so for someone who doesn't mind the few adjustments at the start of a day's shooting, it could save the price of a rifle, which seems to be the key thing. I was having a look at them the other day, and when I get around to getting a rabbit basher, I might bag one with barrels in .22lr and .17hmr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

if i was paying for 3 licences,i would want 3 rifles.icon6.gif

In an ideal world, with me fabulously wealthy, yeah, sure. :p But for me now, I'd take the second barrel. Would almost certainly be easier to get the cert for anyway. Would it have the same serial number actually?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

It's a concept that makes a lot of sense if you think about it.

One action ..one trigger to get used to , one cheek weld to establish .
    Just swap to whatever calibre suits your shooting best .

The Quads in particular are sold the the option of buying a matched scope ,
    each barrel has a coloured ring , and the dedicated scope has matching rings on the turrets.
    So you establish your zero for each and no re zero is required if you change to a different barrel .

To most people , the "Gun" is the action ... everything else is an accessory.
    A bit like changing the tyres on a 4x4 to suit road conditions or off roading , it's still the same vehicle and it dosen't require a separate tax disk for the other tyres .

Thats not how its seen in law at the moment , but it may change at some time in the future .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

There's a number stamped on the action. There's also, what I'd consider to be the proper serial number stamped on the barrel. These numbers aren't the same.

I can take out my .22 barrel, clean it or whatever and replace it and it shoots to exactly the same POI as before. I wouldn't be arsed with that Burris scope, to me that's the gimmick as you could buy a better quality scope and just write down the zero points for whichever calibres you get. Plus it wouldn't look like a rainbow parade :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

There's a number stamped on the action. There's also, what I'd consider to be the proper serial number stamped on the barrel. These numbers aren't the same.

Yes i know , it was just a handy example ...
    My point being that even if you had a shed load of barrels for it ,
    you still have only one action and so... one gun .
    I wouldn't be arsed with that Burris scope, to me that's the gimmick as you could buy a better quality scope and just write down the zero points for whichever calibres you get. Plus it wouldn't look like a rainbow parade

No it wouldn't be my first choice either , however ...
    It did offer more inexperienced shooters a handy way of recording a zero for 4 different calibres.

As an aside , even different weight bullets or even the same weight but a different make of bullet of the same calibre will sometimes shoot a little left or right of zero , as well as being higher or lower.
    The four coloured rings allowed you to record that too.

Me ?.. I have a drop sheet taped to the scope on my centerfire , and i just wind on the clicks as needed for the different ranges. It's not a computer generated one either , It's specific to one cartridge Make and weight for my rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jaycee wrote: »
    It's a concept that makes a lot of sense if you think about it.
    One action ..one trigger to get used to , one cheek weld to establish .
    Just swap to whatever calibre suits your shooting best .
    It's such a good idea that you find that all the top ISSF 300m shooters are using the same stock and sights for both 50m .22lr shooting and 300m 6mm shooting - they just take out the .22 action and barrel and trigger as one unit and drop in the 6mm stuff and away they go.

Advertisement