Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny more popular than Ahern

Options
  • 25-01-2008 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Despite dropping a percentage point in his approval rating Enda Kenny has moved ahead of Bertie Ahern who dropped three percentage points. I believe this is the first time a Fine Gael leader has had a higher approval rating than Ahern.

Also of note is that respondents were divided on whether Ahern should resign with 44 percent saying he should and 46 percent saying he shouldn't. Cowen has a much higher approval rating than Ahern, albeit as Minister for Finance rather than leader.

Personally I would find Cowen a lot more palatable as Taoiseach than Ahern. He has played a good game in sitting on the fence with regard to the Taoiseach's financial affairs but I think he will have to declare his hand sooner rather than later.

Poll results at: www.ireland.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was also noticeable that that most familiar of FF ministers John Gormley was also on hand to lend support. It does give FG some comfort but I am not sure what else it does apart from give them a bit more license to plug away on the "appropriateness" of what Bertie was doing.

I'd suggest that the loss for Labour has been more due to their preoccupation with themselves . Excluding Eamon Gilmore's attacks of late they have been fairly anonymous since they elected him.

It would have been interesting to see what effects, if any, the Hain resignation might have had on our perception of Bertie.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Watching this on the news last night, a comment struck me: "when the figures are adjusted to account for the overstatement of support for Fianna Fáil that always features in these polls..." (or words to that effect - I don't remember precisely). Equally, the ireland.com report says "The adjusted figures for party support..."

What are they adjusting, and why? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I think it's because historically the polls have always overstated FF support. SO they had to use some kind of algorithm to discount this. They used it for the last election and it was more accurate.

I guess the question then becomes: why do opinion polls overstate FF support?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Have you a hypotheses to profer?

• Advertisement

Nope, genuinely puzzled.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

If I'm not mistaken the given reason is that Fine Gael supporters are on average more likely to vote than Fianna Fáil supporters.

So where support may be 60:40 in favour of FF, for example, only 75% of FF's supporters actually get out and register that at the polls, where on the other hand 90% of FG's do so.

(all of those figures are pulled freshly from the air and just used as an example).

So in order to make the poll as indicative of the actual electoral result they re-work figures to factor this trend in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

is_that_so wrote: »
    It was also noticeable that that most familiar of FF ministers John Gormley was also on hand to lend support. It does give FG some comfort but I am not sure what else it does apart from give them a bit more license to plug away on the "appropriateness" of what Bertie was doing.

I'd suggest that the loss for Labour has been more due to their preoccupation with themselves . Excluding Eamon Gilmore's attacks of late they have been fairly anonymous since they elected him.

It would have been interesting to see what effects, if any, the Hain resignation might have had on our perception of Bertie.

what possible effect could hain,s resignation have

this is ireland and politicians dont resign here unless someone accidently discovers a body in the trunk of there car

irish people by and large dont mind a bit of corruption and by and large like there politicians a little bit dirty
    were more like the italians in that way
    apparently a politician in sweeden a few yrs back had to resign because it became public that he was paying his house keeper in cash

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    what possible effect could hain,s resignation have

this is ireland and politicians dont resign here unless someone accidently discovers a body in the trunk of there car

irish people by and large dont mind a bit of corruption and by and large like there politicians a little bit dirty
    were more like the italians in that way
    apparently a politician in sweeden a few yrs back had to resign because it became public that he was paying his house keeper in cash
    Well personally I've had enough of the italian political life model and fancy a bit of nordic conservatism. Would you prefer the economy of Sweden or Italy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

This didn't occur in the last election, but it was a consistant, identifiable trend in the previous ones. They should probably stop doing that, since it no longer applies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

murphaph wrote: »
    Well personally I've had enough of the italian political life model and fancy a bit of nordic conservatism. Would you prefer the economy of Sweden or Italy?

Italian poltics exist to make Irish polticis look good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

If Kenny is more popular than Ahern it says more about Ahern than it says about Kenny.

If Kenny is more popular than Ahern it says more about Ahern than it says about Kenny.
    He's only more popular if you fiddle with the figures to match a trend that doesn't apply any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would love to know if those who take part in such polls are infact registered to vote and if they did they bother in the last election ?

Those who don't bother to vote should not be allowed to whinge about who things went.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

He's only more popular if you fiddle with the figures to match a trend that doesn't apply any more.
    Sour grapes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

These polls measure satisfaction as far I know, not popularity. I still think that there is a minority in the country that doesn't even know who Enda Kenny is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

so what, leukaemia is more popular than bertie by this stage

ballooba wrote: »
    Sour grapes?
    No, fact.
    The superior result for Kenny is only achieved by altering the figures based on a trend that was bucked in the last election. The unadulterated figures should therefore be used, which still put Ahern ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

No, fact.
    The superior result for Kenny is only achieved by altering the figures based on a trend that was bucked in the last election. The unadulterated figures should therefore be used, which still put Ahern ahead.

I can't work it out. Can you give us the unadulterated figures? It would be interesting to compare them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

The superior result for Kenny is only achieved by altering the figures based on a trend that was bucked in the last election.
    The figures were more accurate last time round, because they came up with a mechanism to allow for previously overstated FF support
    The unadulterated figures should therefore be used, which still put Ahern ahead.

Thereby repeating the mistakes of previous polls which consistently overstated FF support. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I think the simple answer is to do with the people who don't know who they support. Most of them are deciding between opposition parties, particularly between FG and LAB, rather than between FF and an opposition party. The polling companies give a greater portion of the 'don't knows' to FG and LAB to allow for this.

The figures were more accurate last time round, because they came up with a mechanism to allow for previously overstated FF support

Thereby repeating the mistakes of previous polls which consistently overstated FF support. :rolleyes:
    They were more accurate -when the polls overestimated FF support.
    This did not happen the last election, the polls underestimated FF support, so this ajustment should not be made.
    Adjusting the figures like this does not make sense when the rationale for the adjustment is gone.

Advertisement