Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico -Broadband down in 041 area - Jan 23rd and Jan 24th

Options
  • 25-01-2008 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Perlico Broadband seems to be out in the 041- area, DSL connection seems to be up, there seems to be activity on the line, but no address is being allocated from the WAN so DNS is obviously out as well...

Rang perlico yesterday evening and got a very wooly answer saying it was an eirocm service issue with no time-to-fix estimates or updates...

Has anyone else been experiencing problems or has any news or updates??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,137 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It is the main problem of going with resellers. Eircom seem to thrive in not giving them information, although Perlico should have more to answer for than it's an eircom problem and it's out of our hands, your contract is with Perlico not Eircom.

I can't imagine it being down for long thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Eircom don't say a word when it comes to issues like this, they just fob the resellers off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Username! wrote: »
    Eircom don't say a word when it comes to issues like this, they just fob the resellers off.

You have to ring Eircom Wholesale, there "meant" to be two completely different and isolated company's but that not going to happen under Hell freezes over....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wholesale shouldn't be normally speaking to an end user as its wholesale and only should be dealing with your ISP.

Outages happen, it can suck when they do and its annoying when they won't give you a ETR but thats life

Keep querying with Perlico, its there job to chase up there network provider (eircom wholesale)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Bad service from Perlico. The fact that they are technically correct is irrelevant. The point of being a reseller is that you pay another company to provide a service and then you combine that service with your own service and provide the whole package to the customer. You don't point fingers with one hand while taking the customers money with the other, not unless you don't want to keep your customers.

With eircoms frequent DNS outages, it surprises me that all resellers don't set up their own DNS servers.

• Advertisement

Onikage wrote: »

With eircoms frequent DNS outages, it surprises me that all resellers don't set up their own DNS servers.

I thought they had? Don't get me started on the irony that is eircoms Broadband support site.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭scanner

its not just the 041 area I have had no broadband either in the dublin 843 area since wednesday and i have got fobbed off the same as you - can i leave perlico withn the 12 month contract period as they are not providing me with a service

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

I doubt eircom allow other resellers to use their dns service. Do you know this for sure?

Its not acceptable for Perlico to fob off their customers. You should make a formal complaint and then complain to Comreg.

They don't explicitly forbid the use of them. Let's just say it's in Eircoms interest to have resellers use their DNS servers without Eircoms "blessing".

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

They don't explicitly forbid the use of them. Let's just say it's in Eircoms interest to have resellers use their DNS servers without Eircoms "blessing".

Why is it in their interest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aidojc

Alrighty folks - I've called Perlico every day since Friday and here's the story:

Friday PM - Technicians were in, managed to fix the problem but another issue arose while they were there. Technicians are to return to site on Saturday and hope to have everything fixed by Saturday Afternoon.

Saturday PM - Technicians are on site now, the issue should be resolved on Sunday Morning. At least theres an pre-recorded message on their tech support line stating there is an issue.

Sunday AM - Technicians are due to be on site in the next hour or so, and hope to have the issue resolved by Sunday evening. If the issue is not resolved by then, it will most likely be Monday morning before service is restored.

I'm in work at the moment, so I don't know if the issue has been sorted out or not - any updates? Either way I'm expecting it to be mid-week before anything happens. Also, it wouldn't kill Perlico to put an update on their website somewhere would it...

In fairness to them, this is the only trouble I've have from Perlico in the time I've been with them - have always found their service to be good and their charges more than reasonable, and furthermore, this issue is most likely down to the absolute incompetence and blantant piracy of Eircom

Perlico's Broadband still out in the 041 area - have any customers in the 01 area had their service restored?

java wrote: »
    Why is it in their interest?

Serving DNS requests is cheap.
    Being able to make your competitor look incompetent at the flip of a switch is priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I'm one of the 041 people affected and also know 2 others who are in the 01 843 areas. None of the call centre staff in Perlico seem to know what's happening apart from chanting the mantra "We hope to have it restored in 24 hours...".

Irrespective of whoever is to blame for this outage, the contract for the supply of telephony & broadband service is between the customer and Perlico. The fact the fault may be with Eircom is of no consequence. The total lack of clear information is a real concern. The fact that this outage has gone on now for nearly a week is outrageous. This to me suggests that there is either (a) no service level agreement in place between Perlico and their wholesale service provider for fault rectification or (b) any such service level agreement is either open-ended, applies loosely, or is not being adhered to at all.

Put it this way: if this was an electricity outage rather than a broadband one, it would be on the front pages of the newspapers by now.

Long term solution: consider looking elsewhere for your broadband. The current debacle is unforgiveable and utterly shambolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭annemarie13

**** perlico your way better off with eircom.im with perlico too but i found eircom was just as good

The saga continues...

Just got off the phone with Perlico Tech support again, and the update is "its still out and we don't have a time to fix, so we can't say when it will be back up."

There you have it... 6 days out and counting!! Surely a compentent crew would have repaired and/or replaced whatever is causing the issue... but perhaps I have answered my own question!!

Not good enough....

aidojc wrote: »
    The saga continues...

Just got off the phone with Perlico Tech support again, and the update is "its still out and we don't have a time to fix, so we can't say when it will be back up."

There you have it... 6 days out and counting!! Surely a compentent crew would have repaired and/or replaced whatever is causing the issue... but perhaps I have answered my own question!!

Not good enough....

Is there anything in the t&c's about outage? I suspect they have themselves well covered. Is it just perlico customers that are out in this area or are eircom bb customers gone aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Eircom fine in the 041 area. I have a friend on Perlico and he is still down. He was told one of their servers was down. Asumed it was a DNS or some type of authentication server?

Problem is that the router isn't getting assigned a WAN address - there is DSL connectivity and I can see that there is activity on the line both upstream and downstream - I'm thinking their DHCP service for the affected exchange(s) got toasted and they don't have a hotswap (obviously) or a streamlined backup policy to enact.

Has the hallmarks of rip/replace or manual reload in my view. :eek:

aidojc wrote: »
    Just got off the phone with Perlico Tech support again, and the update is "its still out and we don't have a time to fix, so we can't say when it will be back up.

So they were just lying about it being an eircom problem? Well that's much better. Poor lads, I almost feel sorry for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've seen service outages happen for upto about a week in the UK but its very rare when it does happen for that long, generally its caused by flooding or lightning strike, most service outages are a few hours.

Keep following this up with Perlico, might be no harm having a chat with a supervisor to see if he/she can shed more light on weather its a eircom wholesale issue or Perlico issue, even if it is Eircoms issue its still affectively Perlicos because your agreement is with Perlico and its in there interest to get this issue resolved.

I rang Perlico earlier today and still they have definite timescale for the restoration of service. We are now one full week without broadband and still waiting.....:eek:

Given this farce, I've now decided to change provider. My existing contract with Perlico has been running for 18 months. If I quit can they hit me for disconnection charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Quarrybaby

After being on the phone to them practially every day for the past week, I have just been told that it will be back at 2am!!!!!!!! Im not holding my breath however...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭scanner

i have just got off the phone (again) to perlico got promised another deadline of 2am tomorrow (why 2am?) this time and told this is an absolute guarantee ,
    oh I was also guaranteed it would be back at 2pm earlier today I also told their accounts department I wont be paying for the use of dial up during this period and they have agreed - I am curious to see if they honour this
    needless to say I am totally p*****d off at this stage

if not back by tomorrow i am cancelling both phone and broadband regardless of whether I have a 12 month contract or not:mad:

scanner wrote: »
    if not back by tomorrow i am cancelling both phone and broadband regardless of whether I have a 12 month contract or not:mad:

I'd recommend against this if your in contract, you'll properly find in there terms & conditions they cover themselfs for service outages, yes I agree a week is a long time but it can happen.

I would maybe expect them to credit you for the time you were off line, lets say you pay 20e a month for Broadband look for the time off-line to be given as a credit, for example 5e or whatever, thats a pretty fair request...

I don't know whether it happened at 2am or not, but service has been restored to the 041 area - I've been back online since 7:30 this morning.

I haven't managed to test my broadband yet although one of my buddies out in the 01 843 area tells me that his isn't back yet, despite receiving a call from Perlico to say that his broadband is supposedly back in business.

Watch this space

Good to hear it appears to be back, if there saying the outage is over and your service is still not working then it might be a fault at your exchange due to the outage.

As such perlico may need to troubleshoot do a line test and raise a fault to resolve it, keep us posted sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

lost ,y perlico broadband friday eveing at 5 o clock, 093 area,

this must be the 3rd time i have lost it over the past year,

ive had enough, all my neibhours with eircom are fine and dont have an issue,

so much for a free market! perlico tell me the fault wont be lodged till monday,

this country is more like 3rd world than first!:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement