Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf Mark IV Steering Re-alignment

Options
  • 25-01-2008 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

For a number of months now the alignment has been out on my golf. Quite noticeably in fact and i've decided i'm going to get it sorted as its not very safe (if I remove my hands from the wheel it noticeably starts to drag left)!

Popped into a nearby garage (Advance Pitstop, Ennis Road, Limerick) and they said that i'd need to leave it in with them for an hour or two. He said the golfs have an issue if alignment becomes a problem. Something about the lumbar?? That if this (the lumbar) is an issue, its a slighly longer job as opposed to just simply realigning the wheel.

How much would a typical realignment cost??
    I asked and he said it would be either 45 or 75 (if it was the lumbar)!?

Any ideas/info/suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Are you sure he said lumbar...if he did he is having you on :rolleyes:
    Lumbar is the lower part of your back.

Could it have been camber he mentioned not lumbar?

Tracking and 4 wheel alignment should sort out your problem provided there are no suspension/steering parts damaged. Is the steering wheel straight when driving in a straight line?

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Neilw wrote: »
    Are you sure he said lumbar...if he did he is having you on :rolleyes:
    Lumbar is the lower part of your back.

Could it have been camber he mentioned not lumbar?

Tracking and 4 wheel alignment should sort out your problem provided there are no suspension/steering parts damaged. Is the steering wheel straight when driving in a straight line?

Neil.

Now that you mention it he could very well have said camber :rolleyes:.

The steering wheel is far from being straight when i'm going in a straight line. Its tilted considerably to the left!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Fizman wrote: »
    Now that you mention it he could very well have said camber :rolleyes:.

The steering wheel is far from being straight when i'm going in a straight line. Its tilted considerably to the left!

There could be some suspension or steering parts damaged if the wheel is way off, all you can do is leave the car with them for the full tracking and laser alignment, this will show up any damaged parts.

Neil.

Advertisement