Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mavic Spokes

Options
  • 25-01-2008 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭

Brokea sproke on my rear (drive side) Mavic Aksium 2008 wheel this morning. Any idea where I would get one?
    Also, while I'm here, any guides on truing it, it's a mixture on radial and 2 crossed spokes. Straight pull.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

cyclogical, it will cost you about 50c, and id let them fix it unless you are totally sure of how to true a wheel;)
    that €12 will save you alot of time and getting pissed off:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Funnily enough, given all the love they've been getting here recently, a broken spoke is the reason I stopped using Cyclelogical. Used to use them because they were the only bike shop in this city who seemed to know what they were talking about and always had a good selection of parts and tools in stock.

Anyway, broke a rear spoke back in September and rang them the next morning, told them the model of wheel and asked if they'd do it. No problem, says the guy, bring it in. I couldn't get into town that week so asked the wife to drop the wheel in. When she gets there she's rudely told that they only work on stuff that's been bought there and they denied even getting a call. Never been treated like that there before, so it looks like it's true that theý've one way of dealing with people who know their bikes and another for those who don't.

I fix my own wheels now.

sounds a bit odd:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

How many miles did you have on them? I just got these wheels and I thought they were pretty sturdy.

i wouldnt worry, these wheels are good.
    diiferent spokes may be used in the op's set.
    A spokes strength is in tension, any other force, is going to damage it with less force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I only got them at christmas or so. I think about 400k on them. Was going for the train this morning, and it just snapped going up a hill outside my house. Shocked me how much it threw the wheels out from it going.
    They were a factory pair from CRC.

Good news and bad news. Looked at in the light today. Spokes are fine, stronger than I gave them credit for.
    Bad news, the bloody hub broke. Unbelievable. The part that catches the spoke broke. I'd understand if I'd hit a pot hole, but I was just leaving my house going up a hill in the lowest gear.
    What to do now? Source a hub myself, or do you think it'd be possible to return?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Source a hub myself, or do you think it'd be possible to return?

that's what i'd be trying for. a spoke breaking is no biggie, but sourcing that hub could be a bitch (dunno) and for wheels that have less than 500km on them i'd say this counts as faulty/unfit for purpose, therefore a replacement should be had.

I think I'll pursue that route I'll right. I do a bit of business with CRC and they've always been good to deal with. I'll drop them a mail.
    Cheers guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stephenclem

My hub cracked in exactly same spot. Took back to ribble cycles preston lancs england replaced immediatly. Told me that they had lots back but Mavic won't accept that there is a design problem with 2008 akasium wheels. Hoping for a recall when enough people have complained.

• Advertisement

My hub cracked in exactly same spot. Took back to ribble cycles preston lancs england replaced immediatly. Told me that they had lots back but Mavic won't accept that there is a design problem with 2008 akasium wheels. Hoping for a recall when enough people have complained.

That is interesting alright. CRC have got back to me, but I'm just trying to verify with them that I can just send the one wheel back.

How did you get on with your new one anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I'd send them both back and get a bloody refund! Cracking hubs, no thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stephenclem

Just cycled 35 miles on them so far so good. The front one is a totally different design with regard to the spokes fixing to the hub so there should be no problems with the front. I will keep you posted on how I get on. If it goes again then i will demand a different type. It is very diconcerting as when it went it went with a bang and the wheel went out of true dramatically, luckly i was just setting off. I don't know what would have happened on a busy road if it had just gone. Had to get the wife to pick me up.

Yeah, same situation with me. The wheel wouldn't even move when I opened the brakes up. Luckily I'd left early that morning for my train and had a chance to annoy my dad for a lift. Now I'm stuck cycling my better bike to the train, which I'm not mad about doing.

Maybe going off topic, but how would one send a wheel by post. Will an post take a parcel that size?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I had to return a frame to CRC and An Post took the frame in a big box (the box it came from CRC in). 10 euros to post the frame in standard post, will be cheaper for a wheel as it is by weight, though you might want to use registered which will just be a few euro extra again.

Max Parcel Dimensions:
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/What+Are+You+Sending+Details.htm#packet

Standard Post Rates:
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/PostalRates/Standard+Post.htm

Cheers rob. All I need now is a box...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

I bought anew set of Campag Sciroccos 18 months ago and promptly won a race two weeks later and thought they were part of the reason I won, a few weeks later my spoke broke at the same track going uphill, no real pressure at the time. I had at that point never bumped into anything even resembling a pothole. Chamberlains of Camden Town sent the wheel back to Italy and they just pulverise the wheel and send a new one. About 4 weeks later the same problem occured and they decided to fix the wheel in Camden, this involved buying a rear wheel spoke set. When they returned the wheel they tried to charge me 24 or 27 quid, mostly for the spoke pack but I refused point blank. Its been fine since and I have managed to get a rear Eurus wheel which is brilliant . When the spokes went the bang was quite shocking, so much so that you worry about the frame, that is after youve realised youve not been shot. Im 14 stone but I believe these wheels should be able to handle that. I do occasionally fix a spoke on my old wheels but always get my friendly mech to do it properly after.

well spokes are under huge tension so it not suprising they go bang:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Cheers rob. All I need now is a box...

lateral thinking:
    does anyone deliver 28 inch pizzas?

Advertisement