Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are Motor factors technically dealing in bogus car parts?

Options
  • 25-01-2008 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I am just wondering are the parts you buy in a factors technically bogus parts? Ie if you buy a spurious brake cylinder or calliper for a Toyota Aventis in a factors from Toyota point of view are these considered bogus? Is there any standard that many of these aftermarket parts are made to?

I know some parts sold by factors are from the exact same manufacturers as what the main dealers would sell such as some brake pads, filters and timing belts just that the main dealers charge a huge mark up because their name is on the packet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

If parts are from a well known manufacturer (or brand) then many are OEM fitments on various car marques as standard. It is not unknown for the exact same parts to cost 2 to 3 times as much, when branded/boxed/marketed say as BMW or Mercedes genuine parts etc. as opposed to the actual manufacturer themselves. It is a bit of a rip off as the companies who manufacture OEM parts, tend to supply them to motor manufacturers at extremely low margins. Other generic/spurious parts would be clones so quality in many cases may not be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The word "bogus" implies that it is pretending to be something which it isn't !

Spurious parts are simply alternatives !

Nothing bogus about them !

As Tom Mc says a lot are actually made by the same folk as the OEM branded ones. There is however a huge difference between quality spurious parts and cheaply made ones. Decent motor factors want to keep they reputations. Buy where the trade buys and avoid "Motor Discount Store" type places that sell furry dices and air freshners !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

my local ford dealership has parts cheaper than the local motor factors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

This is an old chestnut...

A lot of it depends on what brands your local factor stocks. I tend to find that the multi outlet factors stock "spurious" parts, ie the cheapest, while the independent operators are more in tune with their mechanic customers and tend to sell OEM parts under the original manufacturers brand.

As an example, BMW/Merc/VW-Audi don't make suspension parts, they buy them (made to their spec) from reputable suppliers such as Febi/Bilstein. Febi/Bilstein parts should be available from your local factor. Same part, same production line, different box. Get the picture?

As Old Boy has stated, its always worth giving the Dealer a call, they can often be cheaper than factors. I drive a BMW, my experience is that in about 50% of instances they are cheaper for the same manufacturer part.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I am just wondering are the parts you buy in a factors technically bogus parts?

No. They are simply offering 'replica parts' that are not approved by the manufacturer. And that is not meant to imply that they are substandard. Sometimes the parts can be of equal if not superior standard to OEM parts. Alternatively, they can be substandard. Fit such parts while the manufacturers warranty is valid at your peril...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Oilrig wrote: »
    I tend to find that the multi outlet factors stock "spurious" parts, ie the cheapest, while the independent operators are more in tune with their mechanic customers
    This is quite true.. muck in Halfords vs good quality stuff in CPL in Maynooth. And CPL are usually cheaper. And no I don't work for CPL, just been getting stuff there for 8 years. The balls is they don't open on sundays.

Advertisement