Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

peoples opinions on "girls" cars

Options
  • 25-01-2008 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Can someone explain to me what a girls car is ?

Can anyone explain why they wouldn't be seen in one?

Is it in case someone thinks they are a girl?

Do those people have long hair and cry alot is that why they need a mans car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I have to say i think this girl car thing is a load of rubbish....the only car i would classify as girly in the sense that i defo would not drive it is a pink one.....girl llives down the road from me got one or got paint job done.....if that car was in another colour i'd drive it no probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Be advised that a "girl's car" can also be referred to as a "hairdresser's car"
    regardless of the gender of the hairdresser ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I think they mean a car in which a girl (late teens or early twenties) would be the typical owner. Micra's, 206's, etc or dare I say Mini's for the late twenties, thirtysomethings or the Peugeot CC's and the like which only seem to be driven by girlie types who are old enough (late 30's, early 40's to know better). You cannot compensate if you are frumpy or past your prime. Some drive the new Beetles.

I guess it is someones self-image (in the case of males), which stops them buying one of these types of cars, so as not to be perceived as a nancy. At least for those who are in the market for just a shopping trolley (A to B car) as if they could appreciate a proper drivers car, I doubt many superminis would feature anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

This one is certainly a girls car, or else the campest hairdresser you could ever imagine :D

media-1.jpg

Id love one in a way, but only if i had another car that i could drive when i wasn't feeling very girly and pink and fluffy :P

media1-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

'Girls cars' are cars which a substantial proportion of the male population is too insecure to drive. It's that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what a girls car is ?

A car that makes a man look like a fag when he is driving it. i.e. Mirca, punto, polo etc..
    Can anyone explain why they wouldn't be seen in one?

So as to avoid looking like a fag.
    Is it in case someone thinks they are a girl?

No, a fag.
    Do those people have long hair and cry alot is that why they need a mans car?

No they just dont want to look like a fag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

It's a very subjective thing. My take on it (and not that I subscribe to it)is that it is felt that there is a certain type of car that:

(a) women tend to buy and drive.

(b) is designed to appeal to women - whether or not they buy it en
    masse is another thing.

Both seem to be regarded as 'girly' in some way.

Examples of the former (maybe): Hyundai coupé, Megane coupé, Mini,
    Beetle...

The latter (possibly): Micra, Yaris, 206...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

Anan1 wrote: »
    'Girls cars' are cars which a substantial proportion of the male population is too insecure to drive. It's that simple.

Good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Orange69 wrote: »
    A car that makes a man look like a fag when he is driving it. i.e. Mirca, punto, polo etc..

So as to avoid looking like a fag.

No, a fag.

No they just dont want to look like a fag.
    Are you intimidated by all minorities, or just gays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I was told that my mini was very chiche when i got it, i asked why and i was told that it was a real 'daddys little girl' car :) Im not daddys little girl and i was never a mini fan until i decided to buy my first car. (Still wouldn't even call myself exclusively a mini 'fan' now having owned one, its a good little car and it suits me for what i want with a car right now)

Iv always had company jeeps and thats pretty much all iv driven since i was 17 and younger (Off Road) so i guess i wanted something completely different to what i was used to. Also there wasn't much choice in my price range that was a little bit different to the normal Focus, golf or Astra.

My brother sold a 320d m sport to buy a Cooper S back in the day when they were first introdced and he endured a lot of ridicule over selling the beemer to buy a girls car, but he didn't care, he loved the car, in fact it was his favourite car he ever owned until he got his S3.

• Advertisement

No just the gays and the communists.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Also superminis today are packaged more & more towards female buyers. They have got bloated and heavier, more gizmos, more anodyne, less engineering and dynamic finesse. Even the hot-hatch ones compared with the ones of yesteryear lack soul - like the 205gti had and will always be the very antithesis of girlie. No 206 will ever be as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Ka convertible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

ah this old gem

has a week gone by already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

It's easy for him to be intimidated when he has the mind of a six year old. I have yet to see him post anything constructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I drive an azure blue Fiat Panda, I'm a bloke...

edit: and I do about 24,000 miles a year in it too.

f22 wrote: »
    It's easy for him to be intimidated when he has the mind of a six year old. I have yet to see him post anything actually worth reading.

Ah my old mate f22... How are you getting on with your very expensive bmw?

Mods c'mon.. how many times does this guy have to resort to personal abuse before the ban hounds are released?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The overwhelming majority (but not all- must keep the committee happy) of boring 'girls' cars like the poverty spec 206s and Fiestas have no business on our roads. Most are being used beyond there 'city car' brief. Most are bought for the missus as her 10k a year 'runaround'. Mainly bought out a perceived saving of money rather than a suitability- Women; you must revolt! You're not second class citizens so don't accept second class cars.

I'm so sick of this car for a girl- OOHH!!! Fiesta- best car for a girl. It's bloody nonsense. Budget and usage are the first and foremost factors when chosing a car IMO, not sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Mods c'mon.. how many times does this guy have to resort to personal abuse before the ban hounds are released?? :confused:

How are ya today pal? Just thought I'd check up on you to see how you were.

No malice intended, just a bit of idle fun to help pass the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Where are the mods. Orange69 gave a definitive and conclusive answer - why's this thread still going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

If I'm buying - for example - a bag then I'll look at how strong it is, what it will hold and it's price. is it "fit for purpose"; will it hold enough stuff for a weekend away or all my gym kit?

A woman will look at the colour, the number of buckles, who made it, does Posh Spice have one, does that tart Tracey down the salon have one, will it match her nails...

Because of this some bags will appeal to women that won't appeal to me, even though - on the surface - they suit my requirements. A canvas hold all for €20 will always be better for me than the same size bag from Gucci in faux fur and priced at €200 (or whatever).

Is it so hard to see that this logic also applies to cars? It has nothing to do with sexuality or insecurity per se. It has everything to do with the fact that modern cars are much of a muchness and so are sold on intangibles like brand image and style. Some are aimed more at women, some are aimed more at men. It's not rocket science!

And if you like a car drive it, just like if you really want a faux fur Gucci hold all you should buy that to!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Where are the mods. Orange69 gave a definitive and conclusive answer - why's this thread still going?

:D:D:D:D:D it was pretty funny too

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm sitting here wondering if I should ban you given your homophobic outbursts!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement