Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companies with no Download limits

Options
  • 25-01-2008 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Which Broadband companies do not have download limits? Or do not give out to you for downloading 100+ gig a month??
    I was trying to get IBB into my new place (Artane) but my section of the street is blocked.

Can anyone recommend anyone else? With no download limits that is

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You may want to consider founding your own ISP...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Which Broadband companies do not have download limits? Or do not give out to you for downloading 100+ gig a month??
    I was trying to get IBB into my new place (Artane) but my section of the street is blocked.

Can anyone recommend anyone else? With no download limits that is

Smart have no limits and really high speeds, 7mb = constant 825KB/s

Really impressive ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Aidan, and the problem with me asking for help is????

Plus the fact that I just moved to the area and know nothing about it or anyone in the area. I dont even know which companies operate in the are. Anyways I'm looking for a recommendation, providing my own recommendation for myself about companies in an area I dont koow seems a bit contra productive. But thats just me

WellyJ wrote: »
    Smart have no limits and really high speeds, 7mb = constant 825KB/s

Really impressive ISP.
    WellyJ, thanks. I'll look into them. That sound very good.

Any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

maybe some help here

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Both Smart Telecom and BT Business both give packages with no download limits (I can speak from experience in relation to BT Business).

However both are only provided on LLU enabled exchanges, if you can only get Bit-Stream based Broadband (eircoms wholesale offering) then your not going to have any luck unless you pay alot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

Cabaal wrote: »
    Both Smart Telecom and BT Business both give packages with no download limits (I can speak from experience in relation to BT Business).

However both are only provided on LLU enabled exchanges, if you can only get Bit-Stream based Broadband (eircoms wholesale offering) then your not going to have any luck unless you pay alot of money.

If someone likes to take chances, Eircom seems not to enforce the cap.....but I am with Smart :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Smart all the way!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Aidan, and the problem with me asking for help is????

Plus the fact that I just moved to the area and know nothing about it or anyone in the area. I dont even know which companies operate in the are. Anyways I'm looking for a recommendation, providing my own recommendation for myself about companies in an area I dont koow seems a bit contra productive. But thats just me
    I think Aidan was just making the point that no ISP really offers unlimited downloads. Even Smart has a fair usage policy but I haven't heard of them warning or cutting anyone off (yet). I probably download close to a 100 gigs a month. So +1 for Smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Yes, Smart is the business for broadband, if you can get it. You can download day and night if you like. I always get the speed I've paid for too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Smart broadband is about the only provider that gives real broadband speed with no limits for a very resonable price.

Everyone else follows eircom and charges you more for less speed and download caps.

You are in artane so you are in luck as it has a smart enabled exchange.

I just wish smart were everywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

digitaldr wrote: »
    Smart all the way!
    Oracle wrote: »
    Yes, Smart is the business for broadband, if you can get it. You can download day and night if you like. I always get the speed I've paid for too.

Smart + 1.

Can't fault them, bar that one major outtage two years ago....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I never have to worry about a cap. I've got UTV 2Mb unlimited for €27pm. I was told by CS that they will only slow down your speeds if you go over 150Gb in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

I have to use UTV at the moment as smart isn't in my areas :(

But smarts offer is so far ahead of UTV, as they are far faster and don't limit you at all.

I used to have smart and they really make such a difference.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

UTV with the "unlimited" option seems to be the best offer going if your exchange isn't LLU for BT business or smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

IBB do DSL and not just wireless you know? http://www.irishbroadband.ie/product_summaries.php?cid=3

UTV's fair usage policy only says that they will give you 3 warnings if you use P2P traffic heavily between 6pm and 11pm which suits me as i browse and stream etc around that time and dont want my connection maxed out. Outside these hours its free game.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Don't IBB use traffic-shaping though, meaning p2p is a no-go? Or maybe that's just with their wireless products.

byte wrote: »
    Don't IBB use traffic-shaping though, meaning p2p is a no-go? Or maybe that's just with their wireless products.
    Up until my place I was a IBB customer. I've used P2P on a regular basis and had no problems.

I've contacted Smart telecom. Guys, thanks for all the recommendations. Smart seems to be the way to go. I'm going to go for their 7 mg package me thinks. Only thing I dont like is the time it takes to get connected. As my landlord has to cancell his account (as they will not let me take over the account) which takes about 10 working days from the time the letter arrives. Then I contact Eircom and create an account (god knows how long that will take) and then once I contact them its about 20 working days. lol Could be 2 months.... But as I have 3 months left on my IBB contract they are sending me a ripe-wave connection to tie me over :(

Ah well

Thanks again for all the help peeps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm going to go for their 7 mg package me thinks.
    Yeah, that's the biz.
    Only thing I dont like is the time it takes to get connected. As my landlord has to cancell his account (as they will not let me take over the account) which takes about 10 working days from the time the letter arrives. Then I contact Eircom and create an account (god knows how long that will take) and then once I contact them its about 20 working days.

The last time I canceled an eircom line I didn't need to put it in writing, I did it over the phone and it was canceled the following morning. Got a final bill sent to my new address and everything. Also, after this is done it only takes a phonecall for eircom to re-connect in your name. This will be done in 24 hours too and may cost about 25 euro for re-connection fee.

Your only alternative is to order a new line at the house, this will cost 127 euro and take up to 28 days (though mine only took 5 days to get in). Then with a brand new line you can go ahead and order Smart. All in all, it only took me 16 days from ordering the line to Smart going active on it.

Whatever you do, it'll be worth a couple of weeks wait, believe me. So much better than re-sold eircom.

Advertisement