Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triton t90si.........and getting rid of hardened limescale from it?

• 25-01-2008 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

hi,

i got a Triton t90si shower and have been runnug it perfectly for the last 2 years.

Thing is there was hard water coming into the house for the last 2 years too..........but not anymore as i got a nice new water softener installed and its brilliant.

Nice soft water all the time. Thing is, the shower has lots of nastly hard limescale deposits coming out of it. My water softener installer (a plumber) said it will clear itself eventaully.
    He suggestred that i turn on the shower every now and again and run it on the hottest setting for 2 mins and then lash it back to the coldest setting (with the showerhead of the pipe) and shed loads of hardened limscale will come out. He right, i've been doing this for 2 weeks now, and the hard limescale just keeps on coming.

My Question is - is there any way to speed up the clearing of the shower from limescale?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I know its been said already by the installer but it should clear by itself with the soft water running through it. However i dont think that running it for a few minutes is enough to reach that goal. You havent mentioned it so you could take the shower head and tube off the shower and leave them to sock in a descaling solution (available in supermarkets). Alternatively you could go and buy a new shower head and tube.

If its coming from further back in the system, as in beyond the shower unit itself then I'm not sure you can do anything but wait. If its your main shower and its used every day or two it should clear in a few weeks. Similarly with radiators, washing machines etc... it will take a few weeks for the hard deposits to break down. If you consider that you would have a hard job removing years old limescale from something with a chisel then its reasonable that it would take a few weeks for the soft water to break it down.

Might be a silly question but have you kept your salt topped up in the softner? If its down and you are running hard water through the system again it wont help...

Hope thats a bit of use. Its great having softwater at last isnt it?

Ronan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Thanks for the reply Head..........ohhhhhhhhh, yeah soft water is a luxury and only recently did i find the spare cash to invest in one. Got it for €800 installed - but worth every cent.

I just thought there might be an easy fix like taking out the boiler in the shower or whatever (if it existed) to eradicate the hard deposits. Anyways, i will just keep on waiting, and waiting, and waiting...........LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

soaking the shower head in water with a calgon did the trick for me, white vinegar works too, but not as good and it smells, and its more expensive, so all in all dont use white vinegar :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

Thanks for the reply Head..........ohhhhhhhhh, yeah soft water is a luxury and only recently did i find the spare cash to invest in one. Got it for €800 installed - but worth every cent.

I just thought there might be an easy fix like taking out the boiler in the shower or whatever (if it existed) to eradicate the hard deposits. Anyways, i will just keep on waiting, and waiting, and waiting...........LOL

hi NIF,

im having hell in my house with blinking limescale, do u mind me asking where you got your softener? and what type is it?
    theres lots of different things on the market & its a wee bit confusing to say the least.
    glad to hear it works for you :D
    Thanks,
    Kiya

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭rusalka

I'd also be very interested in the details of your water softener.

We're also in a hard-water area, and although we consulted a company we thought might do the job, they only do softeners at the kitchen tap, and we'd love something systemic.

At the moment, I just clean my showerheads with Cillit Bang Lime & Grime - it's the shizzle on the aul' limescale, but the Calgon sounds the biz too - I must give that one a lash too some day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Hi guys, see the thread below for loads of water softening stuff...particularly the early parts of the thread...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055127669

Ronan

Advertisement