Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Upgrading Modems?

Options
  • 25-01-2008 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Got a call from NTL saying they were changing/upgrading modems, anyone else get a similar call? They're in my area (Dublin 11) next week and are arranging times to call.

Just thought I'd check before I let someone into my house!!! :o

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

Apologies - I was trying all afternoon to get through to NTL and finally got through after I posted.

It is genuine, I must be getting paranoid about bogus callers in my old age!!!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Quick question for the NTL experts.
    My sister moving into apartment with NTL. On UPC website, they say they have wireless router for €50. Is the NTL cable modem wireless? or do they give you a seperate wireless router.
    I have a spare Netgear WGR614 I can give her instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

the modem is not wireless i have a d link so there is a ethernet cable going from the modem to the dlink wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

They're giving out netgear WGR614 wireless routers seperately if you pay for it (I think it's free on the top package if you ask for it). There's a separate motorola surfboard cable modem for provisioning the actual connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Thanks for the confirmation guys.
    I'll let her know not the pay the extra €50 and use my spare WGR614.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

datk wrote: »
    Got a call from NTL saying they were changing/upgrading modems, anyone else get a similar call? They're in my area (Dublin 11) next week and are arranging times to call.

D

I'm using Scientific Atlanta EPC 2203 Voip cable modem, is this the latest?

TIA

stanley1 wrote: »

TIA

I'll let you know next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MiloFoxburr

I'll let you know next week!

What modem are you currently using?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

any reason as to why they are upgrading the modems ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Maybe it will fix the dire speeds I've been getting on and off the last couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

BostonB wrote: »
    Maybe it will fix the dire speeds I've been getting on and off the last couple of weeks.

I reckon they're looking for an excuse to get inside homes to see how many
    dodgy-boxes they can spot once inside ;)

If anyone gets one of the new modems do post up the make/model :) It could be a docsis 3.0 deployment..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Yeah, maybe they'll do like Virgin in the UK and offer 50meg lines by the end of the year over DOCSIS 3.... probably a big maybe:)
    It would be sensible to switch the modems to version 3 if they are doing a changeover at all I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

TIA

This is the current modem in use for all installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

D

Do you have the old model that was silver (I thinl) or the newer model Dark Blue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Got one today

Its a Scientific Atlanta modem

Apparently it offers VOIP and that would appear to be the only change

kenco wrote: »
    Apparently it offers VOIP and that would appear to be the only change

Cheers ... is it locked to NTL in some way ?

forbairt wrote: »
    Cheers ... is it locked or NTL in some way ?

Not sure, heavy cold at the moment so not going to try to do much

The guy doing the install seemed to have a lot of hassle with whatever authentication he was setting up on it and needed to use the ntlworld email that was set up and never used.

have had bad cold last few days take it easy .. and if you do go mucking about with settings write it all down (my short term memory has been shot due to it ... what was I saying) :D

I had my connection details on my old machine so I've no idea what they are now :) its been a year + and thankfully I've not needed them yet :D

Still no notice about them upgrading here but then I'm in galway so might be sometime before it rolls out here

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Cable based VOIP is has QOS management. It usually only works with the cable company gateway and SIP systems, however this means it can't be v-spammed, evesdropped or suffer dropouts when you downloading or torrants.

UPC and Digiweb both have their own phone gateway / voice infrastructure to give better security and quality than 3rd party VOIP just on your normal ethernet-to-internet-connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Are they upgrading everyone to that modem or only people that want to get the phone service?

Regards

Nava

It appears to be everyone as I am still holding off on the VOIP offering. I got a letter from UPC last week saying that they were upgrading to offer 'new features'. Maybe its an upgrade to make all the modems VOIP enabled or maybe they are just changing out the old gear....

TIA

That's the one - just got it installed.

nava wrote: »
    Are they upgrading everyone to that modem or only people that want to get the phone service?

Regards

I haven't shown any interest in their phone service despite that numerous letters and phone calls so I imagine it's just a general upgrade. I had the small silver one before.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

NTL installed a new modem for me over the weekend, and appear to be upgrading everyone in the area. Anyone know why this is exactly?

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Search function is often handy at times. ;)

Recent thread here

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

They are a laugh.

I'm still waiting for a techician that was supposed to come three weeks ago to sort out a problem (which thankfully fixed itself in the meantime).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MiloFoxburr

They are a laugh.

I'm still waiting for a technician that was supposed to come three weeks ago to sort out a problem (which thankfully fixed itself in the meantime).

I must of got your technician, someone was supposed to come out and install a DVR today instead I got a phone call from a repair technician. He said they'd ring but I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I prefer the old modem :(

This yoke looks like a dial-up modem from the late nineties.

Advertisement