Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUI Maynooth - what's it like?

• 25-01-2008 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

My daughter has put NUI Maynooth down as her second choice on her CAO form. We live in Dublin. What's this college like? The courses? The tutors? The ambience? Size? Services? Efficiency? The type of people go to it? Is it true that it's haunted?

She wants to do Social Sciences. What's this subject like? She doesn't like very hard work.

And what's the town itself like?

Concerned mother.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I hear they warp the minds of people down there. Girls become sex slaves and guys turn gay.

Its scary stuff. I think its due to the ghosts. Its very scary at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

Behave Winters...

It's great. The college is mostly new and has the latest tech in most places. The courses vary greatly, even the modules within a subject can be very different in regards to difficulty and examination. Tutors are generally phD and masters students, and they are generally quite good. Maynooth is a student town, it's busy when the college is open and dead quiet otherwise, it's not often you'll see or hear about anything major happeneing. The college offers a host of services, from counselling, a free medical centre, a creche, a diasbility office, academice advisory office, careers office for guidance counselling and a hoard of clubs and societies for just about everyones tastes. The type of people - varied, from nerds to goths to sporty types, and everyone in between.

There are indeed rumours of haunting, but you can't believe everything you hear.

You would need to get in contact with specific departments re the subjects she wants to take, and the website has most of the info you need in that regard. But it won't be an easy ride, it does take some work. www.nuim.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

It is haunted, I've been in the room! The story is a priest saw the devil and slit his own throat, and to this day the blood still stains the floor, despite the floorboards being replaced...

Tutors are good, but they're only aides. It's college, it's all about independent learning not being spoon-fed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

It is a lovely place to college, I don't know one person that didn't enjoy their time there. It's very close knit which many people might not want from a college but I loved it.

Where is the room that's supposed to be haunted? Plus I didn't think anyone was able to get in there.

It's in Rhetoric House, you can see the window boarded up if you walk from the library. Then you go into Rhetoric, third floor (or 2nd, it's been awhile) and there's a little hollow with some filing cabinets and a statue of some saint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

It is haunted, I've been in the room! The story is a priest saw the devil and slit his own throat, and to this day the blood still stains the floor, despite the floorboards being replaced...

Tutors are good, but they're only aides. It's college, it's all about independent learning not being spoon-fed.

I didnt notice anything yesterday.....ah that must be why they moved the filing cabinet :) Its always fun to catch someone gazing in awe at the brown floorboards with visible grain (sorry bloodstains!!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Which one is Rhetoric House?

It's the building that is near Logic House. It's perpendicular to Logic if you approach it from the main gate of the South Campus.

I reckon some Cillit Bang would clear the blood up easy enough.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Bang and the blood is gone. Go Barry.

Ah Rhetoric house, named after the questions in 1805.

Erm, which one is Logic House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Logic House is the one that is at the end of the big playing field in the south campus.

Weird never knew about this at all, have to go into Rhetoric house sometimes, I'll check this out next time.

This helps http://www.nuim.ie/location/maps/south.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

She wants to do Social Sciences. What's this subject like? She doesn't like very hard work.

She's going to have to do a bit of work wherever she goes unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭BillyoftheBeast

About that ghost story, somebody raised a good point about it when I told them.

How did they know he saw the devil in the mirror if he had slit his throat?

sshhh you're not supposed to question it. Just accept it, there be ghosts and ghoulies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭63587614

I went to NUIMaynooth. Great college, tough courses well everything besides ARTS. Sorry ARTs students.

Great facilities, always expanding. New astro turf pitch, lighted fields gym, pool etc.

oh also has Top economics Dept.

Ah now come on, Arts isn't a walk in the park. There is some hard aspects of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭BillyoftheBeast

My only reservation as a Maynooth graduate is the college isn't ranked very high in the world. Bull**** I know but it has made it very hard for me to get jobs with banks in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Two of my subjects are "social sciences", they're not particularly hard.....lol

Because the second priest did the same, and the third had no razor, he wasn't shaving...but performing the exorcism of the room, he saw a dark figure in the mirror and suddenly felt himself bringing two fingers across his throat, had they been razor blades...he would have died. "ooooh, aaaaaaah" etc.

So apparently something forced him to jump out the window, he broke his back but lived to tell the tale.

The End.

Rozabeez wrote: »
    The End.

Or is it?

186.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

It is a great college in so many aspects.

I feel it's main downfall is its grading. Courses are marked far harder than the like of UL,UCD and NUIG from my experience.

You can be self righteous and say that a grade is a grade but when other students come out with better grades in other colleges and go for the same type of jobs it's not an even playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭catyb20

It is a super college! I just graduated this year, and loved the place so much that i'm staying on in maynooth. i know a few people who did the social science course, and they loved it! I came down here knowing only 1 person ! Most of my mates went to galway/UCD, I deferred for a year and was so tempted to apply to UCD instead, but i am so glad i didnt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

yeah Maynooth's a great college. Loads of fun. I attended for a couple of years. Theres a good atmosphere and the town itself is well equipped for student life. two 24 hour supermarkets. Safe enough for girls too. All the housing estates and thoroughfares are well lit. Its good craic.The courses are varied and its a great place to make friends and have a laugh. JUST DONT MESS WITH US LOCALS THOUGH!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Clarie

Ha! the locals aint that scary.

Oh yeah? What about the crazy man with the glasses and the limp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Oh yeah? What about the crazy man with the glasses and the limp?

Eh?I only wear my glasses when i'm reading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Ah now come on, Arts isn't a walk in the park. There is some hard aspects of it...
    what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

This may seem a good point but falls down on logic.

There is an assumption in this question that the priest slit his throat immediately on seeing the devil in the mirror. That seems unlikely as chances are he probably would not randomly find a knife lying around in a seminary/university room unless the scriptwriters of James Bond wrote the story. To give the question its due, the fact that others knew or claimed to know about it also suggests that the 'devil in the mirror' and the suicide did not take place at the same time.

There is nothing to suggest that he did not have the mirror incident, inform others later, and take his own life at some other stage with it being attributed to that incident by those others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Maynooth's great i'm a 1st year Bmus student and its made a great impression on me, i know he's a 1st year lame, but im really enjoying myself here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

2nd year bMus here. It's alright, kinda easy. In fact, it's way too easy. Wish i'd gone to trinners tbh. Just gonna get my degree and get the hell outta here.

Advertisement