Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Day- for all you Valentines Questions and Comments

Options
  • 07-01-2008 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I know it's well early, but it's at the back of many peoples heads at the moment.
    What do yee girlies expect from yer fella at Valentines?
    Do you expect flowers and meal as standard? What if he forgot flowers?
    Would you definately expect more if it was your first Valentines together?
    Are other presents acceptable?

I know lots of yee will say 'oh, I don't care for it... as long as we know we love each other blah blah'... well b*llix to that, as I know you'd love to get flowers or feel really left out as everyone else gets them...
    It's gonna be my first with my g/f this year (anniversery is shortly after), but I hate the idea of Valentines. It's like we all have to confirm and do the same thing. I've always liked to be different and original in my relationship with her, and would consider just bringing her out for a meal the night before to show this! I can't exactly not get her flowers either, no much how she'd agree...
    Meh, guess this has turned into a bit of a rant.

So, what's your expectations this Valentines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Cover all your bases: bring her out for a meal of chocolate-covered flowers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Nothing - no Valentine in sight for me. And compared to the Valentine's I had last year, I'll gladly take nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

tbh i love flowers and little tokens of affection.
    i dont know why they need to be limited to valentines, its just another day in the year. saying that i cant help but feel the need to give my bf something and tbh i'd feel sad if i got nothing on the day. plus if my bf goes out of his way to get silly fluffy things for the day it just feels like he loves me enough to let me be my stupid girly self.
    before anyone says it i do little things all year round for my bf so its not a one way street ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Since I read this thread I've been racking my brains to try and remember what me and the OH did for Valentine's day last year. I honestly can't remember. I have no recollection of cards or dinner or anything. We may have stayed in, I can't be sure! I think that this shows that it's not really important after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

The best present was.... when I was handed a bag of steak to cook for our romantic valentines dinner.
    He was a real keeper. I miss him.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I expect sweet FA :D I wouldn't hold my breath on getting anything! If I had a hot man I'd love nothing more than a romantic night in together with a dvd or something, I'm not into the whole gift and flowers giving, do that any other time of the year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

The last time I was going out with someone on Valentine's Day neither of us were into it at all; I gave him a UCD newsletter and he gave me a three-pack of sponges.
    With the current fella we'll probably do nothing, or celebrate it the way we celebrate everything else: eating everything in sight, getting langers and listening to High On Fire :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Roses and orgasms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Thank you for reminding me,,, Must book restaurant today...

We usually go out for a nice quiet meal, just the two of us. I get a lovely card and flowers as well. A ride at the end of the night usually puts the icing on the cake for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Just orgasms for me, preferably without battery aided assistance :D

I hope you're reading...lol

On a more serious note (because clearly I am overreaching with my expectations) I'd say something special, a little out of the ordinary. If you're always getting her flowers you'll need to up your game if you know what I mean. I have to say I'd like to stay in and eat rather than go out, and then...well.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,138 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Loved should be shown all year round not on one day for card companies to make money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'l be skiing in Itlay for Valentines day :(:(:( (I know, life's so hard isn't it?!)

So we'll just be celebrating before.

And after.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

This will be my first "real" Valentine's day...i.e. as part of a couple. I don't know how he feels about it, and I don't really know how I feel about it either. I can take or leave the flowers and chocolate or meal out...I'd like to get something sweet and thougtful; more a token than some big gift. However I have no clue what to get him in return. Ideas?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

I am sooo jealous of all you going for ur meals, orgasm and general affection you'll get this year - my other half has decided to join his folks on holidays this year. I'm all on my todd!!

On the pressie kind of stuff - we usually get practical stuff like vouchers for something we want etc. I don't go for the whole spending a fortune on flowers and chocolates when it can be done any other time of the year. I'd actually prefer flowers for my bday or anniversary, just not Valentines.

Papillon87 wrote: »
    This will be my first "real" Valentine's day...i.e. as part of a couple. I don't know how he feels about it, and I don't really know how I feel about it either. I can take or leave the flowers and chocolate or meal out...I'd like to get something sweet and thougtful; more a token than some big gift. However I have no clue what to get him in return. Ideas?!?!

If you go over to the mens forum I'm sure they'd suggest steak and blowjob day (sorry I'm too much of a lady to say that out loud :D:o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Ok, I know it's well early, but it's at the back of many peoples heads at the moment.
    What do yee girlies expect from yer fella at Valentines?
    Do you expect flowers and meal as standard? What if he forgot flowers?
    Would you definately expect more if it was your first Valentines together?
    Are other presents acceptable?

I know lots of yee will say 'oh, I don't care for it... as long as we know we love each other blah blah'... well b*llix to that, as I know you'd love to get flowers or feel really left out as everyone else gets them...
    It's gonna be my first with my g/f this year (anniversery is shortly after), but I hate the idea of Valentines. It's like we all have to confirm and do the same thing. I've always liked to be different and original in my relationship with her, and would consider just bringing her out for a meal the night before to show this! I can't exactly not get her flowers either, no much how she'd agree...
    Meh, guess this has turned into a bit of a rant.

So, what's your expectations this Valentines?

absolutely nothing, if you love someone why do you have to wait for a made up holiday to tell them???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,138 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This is while corny but couple of years ago for Valentines day I sent my then gf a rose each day from the 2nd of Feb so she would have a dozen roses on the 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

irishbird wrote: »
    absolutely nothing, if you love someone why do you have to wait for a made up holiday to tell them???

ah, that's all well and good in fluffy land...

Seriously though, I totally agree, and I know my OH agrees, but she's in a small office with nearly all girls (all others have b/fs) and do you honestly think she won't mind if she's the only one not getting flowers?

She'd probably tell me she wouldn't, but I secretly know she'd love them.
    Mind you, I do all this kind of stuff all through the year and love doing it(romantic men do exist!!) but it's just the whole 'I have to do it today, or else!!' thing I hate.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    ah, that's all well and good in fluffy land...

Seriously though, I totally agree, and I know my OH agrees, but she's in a small office with nearly all girls (all others have b/fs) and do you honestly think she won't mind if she's the only one not getting flowers?

She'd probably tell me she wouldn't, but I secretly know she'd love them.
    Mind you, I do all this kind of stuff all through the year and love doing it(romantic men do exist!!) but it's just the whole 'I have to do it today, or else!!' thing I hate.

Send a bunch a week or two before valentines day then! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

January 7th.................this is like Christmas decorations in September- does the extortion ever stop?

• Advertisement

Cathooo wrote: »
    If you go over to the mens forum I'm sure they'd suggest steak and blowjob day (sorry I'm too much of a lady to say that out loud :D:o

Oh dear..... :o

I'm much too innocent to go to that forum me thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Too early!!! Jeeez, maybe its my man's intuition (and yes I know this is the Ladies Lounge) but its not for another month! We just got over Christmas, and even talking of that a monthe beforehand is too much, have some sympathy!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

SetantaL wrote: »
    January 7th.................this is like Christmas decorations in September- does the extortion ever stop?

Hell no.
    You do realise some shops have Easter Eggs on sale already?

Jay P wrote: »
    Too early!!! Jeeez, maybe its my man's intuition (and yes I know this is the Ladies Lounge) but its not for another month! We just got over Christmas, and even talking of that a monthe beforehand is too much, have some sympathy!!!!

But the OP is male! Well I'm presuming so or else he'd be called Whiskeywoman!

Edit: mmm Easter Eggs!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Don't think I've ever celebrated Valentines day... This is mostly down to the fact that I've dated mostly women from countries that don't do it.

I have celebrated Dia dos Namorados many times though. It's much better than Valentines if you ask me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Bigger problem.... what do we get the guys???? its easy for them, flowers, chocolates, jewellery, perfume. but what do they expect back???

phi3 wrote: »
    Bigger problem.... what do we get the guys???? its easy for them, flowers, chocolates, jewellery, perfume. but what do they expect back???

Yes I also raised this query! Help me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

god no don't send to the office unless she drops the hints!

IMHO - i'd be mortified if he sent them to the office! But then again my place in here would just slag the life out of me and too much for me to try bring them home on the luas.

Send them before or well after Valentines.

phi3 wrote: »

Did you not see the steak and blow jobs comment?! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

OP - not a female opinion but my tactic of flowers the week before has always gone down well. I'm not the type to celebrate Valentines Day and I don't believe that flowers (or steak and blowjobs for that matter) should be reserved for one day a year!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement