Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Day- for all you Valentines Questions and Comments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

watna wrote: »
    Did you not see the steak and blow jobs comment?! ;)

I'm not a huge fan of either of those things...

Although that crayon drawing of the zoo mentioned in another thread has me intrigued...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm not a huge fan of either of those things...

Although that crayon drawing of the zoo mentioned in another thread has me intrigued...

I saw that too, it was quite sweet. But presumably for you it would have to have a lot of monkeys in it?!

Well little creative things like that are much nicer than stuff that is just bought, cooked or sucked...

Well little creative things like that are much nicer than stuff that is just bought, cooked or sucked...

True, maybe I'll get my artistic skills out this year.

Tee hee: sucked! For some reason that made me laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

phi3 wrote: »
    Bigger problem.... what do we get the guys???? its easy for them, flowers, chocolates, jewellery, perfume. but what do they expect back???

Men don't like Valentines Day, seriously it's a lot of stress for them worrying about what to get, how much to spend, how much did you spend (Because he doesn't want to look cheap handing you a CD when you've gotten him an iPod) and they feel like planks looking for all that lovey-dovey cr*p while the shop assistants look at him with pity as he sweats trying to decide what to get you so just buy him something small (Book,CD etc) cook him his favorite meal, Have a few beers chilling and get some new underwear and shag his brains out at the end of the night. With minimum effort and no stress on your part you'll have given him all his favorite things, he'll be relieve that he didn't look like a cheapskate I swear to God he'll love you for it. Trust me I know how men think :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

whiskeyman wrote: »
    ah, that's all well and good in fluffy land...

Seriously though, I totally agree, and I know my OH agrees, but she's in a small office with nearly all girls (all others have b/fs) and do you honestly think she won't mind if she's the only one not getting flowers?

She'd probably tell me she wouldn't, but I secretly know she'd love them.
    Mind you, I do all this kind of stuff all through the year and love doing it(romantic men do exist!!) but it's just the whole 'I have to do it today, or else!!' thing I hate.

My, how clever you are! I reckon you're dead right.This is exactly the kind of thing most girls (including myself) would say... but secretly we'd be disappointed if we got nothing. Reason we don't say we want something is cos you're supposed to "want" to do it.
    If you don't wanna send the usual flowers, why not send balloons instead or if you wanna be really flash... get one of those groups that will go into her office and sing her a song or somethin!

Stress? Putting thought into getting a present for someone you like is a lot of fun...

Maybe I'm just a freak...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

I think the expectation of receiving something needs to be eliminated. Valentine's or not. If you love someone then you should feel free to do something loving for them with no strings attached. Granted, it's hard to avoid feelings of disappointment if you get nothing, but it's important to remember that those feelings are ultimately immature and have no place in a relationship. Guys forget specific dates, so what? Think about all the other wonderful things they do for you every single day. :)

I still need to figure out what to do for my OH this year, as it's our first, eek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Cheiftan

LAYDEEZZZZZ , Its the 7th of Jan. Good things come to those who wait. Calm down till the end of Jan, good girls;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

yes, puttign thought into prsesent for loved one is fun and all...

but ive got anniversary, birthday and valentines day in the space of a week!

dammit, wehn we were 13,000 miles away, all we had to do was send ****ing e-cards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

In Asia they have the right idea:
    Feb 14th girls give chocolates to the boys
    March 14th boys give chocolates to the girls (white day)
    April 14th all the singletons go for dinner and eat noodles with black bean sauce (Black day)

valentines is a commercial event dreamed up by hallmark. you don't need a special day to know that someone loves you, it's the little things they do on their own rather than the expectation of receiving something that I love.

i was single last year and this year for 'it' doesn't bother me in the slightest, i went for dinner with my friends and had a laugh. i know of people who send themselves flowers, lunacy.

At the last boards beers I was asked to look into organising an anti-valentines boards.ie event.

I must look into that further...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

At the last boards beers I was asked to look into organising an anti-valentines boards.ie event.

Please do.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Please do.

Only if there can be monkeys... and I get to dress up as a boosh character...

Cheiftan wrote: »
    LAYDEEZZZZZ , Its the 7th of Jan. Good things come to those who wait. Calm down till the end of Jan, good girls;);)

And as I said earlier to another poster, think about it, the OP is male. He asked! We didn't bring it up!

edgar and chrissy will attend.

and we've all beenw aiting to meet old gregg.

narco wrote: »
    edgar and chrissy will attend.

and we've all beenw aiting to meet old gregg.

But just imagine me as the Crack Fox... it won't require any huge leap of imagination though..

ok. so long as you do old gregg in september.

i so much want to be naboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Last year I was recovering from major surgery on Valentines day so daddy and Shane both gave me roses in ICU (they allowed them for the day that was in it), I had a meal a few days before hand with my hubby and he got me a Swatch watch with roses on it (I was totally spoiled last year!) This year will be a more sedate affair - going to Portugal with my hubby but will probably still get roses and a romantic meal out on the day - I believe in love every day of the year, not just Valentines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'm expecting another single Valentines day again this year, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I dislike people's ferocity towards the day, especially people who condemn it as a Hallmark holiday. The way I see it is this: We should tell the people who matter to us most that we love them every day, but in reality we don't. February 14th is now recognised as a day for expressing your affection for someone - nobody ever said that had to cost much money. My friends and I used to make Valentines cards for eachother out of pieces of paper or card (they HAD to be handmade, no bought cards could be used) and exchanged them, whether in relationships or not, as a token of the affection we felt for eachother. The year before last, I cooked my single housemates a meal - just a stirfry. Valentines, like anything else, is what you make it. I see it as an excuse to remind the people who matter to you that, however much you might or might not say it throughout the year, they mean a lot to you, and you love them.

If I was with someone, I'd hate the whole roses and dinner thing, unless it was a quiet dinner at home. The idea of breaking the bank for a present annoys me too. Does giving a gift that has a price tag of thousands of euros mean you feel thousands of times the sentiment that an inexpensive present implies? I don't think so. Something thoughtful means more to me than something sparkly and impressive to the masses. Memories are priceless anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I told the fella that Valentines was a load of sh*te and a hallmark day and for smug annoying couples etc and I wasnt arsedd with it.

Guess what he got me?

Yep.

Served me right.

Got many many prezzies for Birthday after that particular "discussion" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

ye i got a pencil case (which i found out was reduced) and a bag of jellies once. wasnt impressed. ye he wasnt the romantic type. needless to say he's my ex :D

was it one of those pencil cases with a picture of a jazz musician on the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

no why did you give one of those to someone on valentines day? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

sex, but i expect that every day

personally i dont like getting things on valentines day. it smacks of 'i got you something cause i thought i'd be in the doghouse otherwise' on any other day of the year it would mean ten times more. i'm not really into the chocs / flowers / gifts ****. tho a meal is always good because i looooooooooooooooooooooooove food, nothing to do with romance at all, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

April 14th all the singletons go for dinner and eat noodles with black bean sauce (Black day)

thats my birthdate. great the titianic and now this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Well lets hope it is more succesful then my attempt
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055050323

I always look forward to valentines day.Being eternally single,I look forward to the annual card from my 'secret admirer' aka my mum but even though I know its from her I still have a little hope that maybe there is a secret sexy guy out there secretly pining for me :)

abrr1000 wrote: »
    no why did you give one of those to someone on valentines day? :D

to combine the twin disciplines of jazz and stationary management, i'd guess.

panda100 wrote: »
    Well lets hope it is more succesful then my attempt
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055050323

Yeah... well mine will have monkeys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

whiskeyman wrote: »
    What do yee girlies expect from yer fella at Valentines?
    Do you expect flowers and meal as standard? What if he forgot flowers?
    Would you definately expect more if it was your first Valentines together?
    Are other presents acceptable?

Your best bet is to do nothing...honestly.

Sending flowers is fine any other day of the year but that one. Going out for dinner is fine most days of the year but Valentines should be avoided like the plague.

If you really feel the need to do something then cook a meal yourself and have a chilled out night in insted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement