Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Day- for all you Valentines Questions and Comments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Iago wrote: »
    Your best bet is to do nothing...honestly.

yeah, but you're a bloke (aren't you?).
    And being Iago, I'm sure you'll understand the green eyed monster that'll roar when she's the only one of her workmates and friends who's b/f didn't get her flowers / chocs...

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

i cant remember what i got last year, if i even did get something. this year its on a thursday so my partner will be working 'til 10pm so no big deal will be made. the first couple of years we kinda did stuff for it but now we're at four years in a couple of weeks it loses its charm and he does such nice things for me anyway and is so supportive when im at college and broke and stuff (a cup of tea after college does wonders..) that i cant accept any gifts off him! its just not fair! ill make him dinner or something this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

This year i hope not to be by my self that evening...
    But my ideal gift(s) would be flowers, wine, home cooked meal and just TLC(Tender Love & Care) what more can i ask for:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

whiskeyman wrote: »
    yeah, but you're a bloke (aren't you?).
    And being Iago, I'm sure you'll understand the green eyed monster that'll roar when she's the only one of her workmates and friends who's b/f didn't get her flowers / chocs...

Yes I'm a bloke but that really shouldn't matter.

I send my wife flowers at least once a month without fail, not because I have to but because I know how much she likes them and when shes happy, I'm happy.

She also knows that at no point will she ever get flowers on Valentines day, because if you have to need a given day to do it then what's the point?

Valentines day is nothing but an excuse for hallmark and all the rest to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ok. basically, i have three potential things i could get him for his birthday.

that covers birthday, anniversary, valentines.

sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

You should expect nothing more than a kiss on the cheek. The fact that you expect something or else you will be in a huff with your fella is a terrible way to go about things. If you need a holiday created by hallmark to be told 'i love you' or 'your special to me' theres something wrong with your relationship.

Steak and blowjob day - now thats a real event.

[editing here]
    Iago wrote: »
    Yes I'm a bloke but that really shouldn't matter.

I send my wife flowers at least once a month without fail, not because I have to but because I know how much she likes them and when shes happy, I'm happy.

She also knows that at no point will she ever get flowers on Valentines day, because if you have to need a given day to do it then what's the point?

Valentines day is nothing but an excuse for hallmark and all the rest to make money.

[/editing here]

I saw this after i posted. Good man, exactly my point!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I think there is nothing wrong with having one day a year where you go a step further to show it though. As such I've already enquired with one restaurant about their price/menu for valentines... (Its extortionate, but she's worth it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I think there is nothing wrong with having one day a year where you go a step further to show it though. As such I've already enquired with one restaurant about their price/menu for valentines... (Its extortionate, but she's worth it.)

Well you have her birthday, your anniversary & Christmas

I just think that forced (and by definition you're only going for dinner, buying flowers because it's Valentines day) romance is a wasted effort.

I don't feel it as being forced, I just see it as another day set aside in which to go that little bit further for a partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I just wanna be loved :(:(

:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Fremen wrote: »
    Cover all your bases: bring her out for a meal of chocolate-covered flowers

ROFL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

Last Valentines day I was in hospital having an MRI scan. He took the day off work and that was all that I needed - to know he was there.
    We also went to Mama Mia in the point which was really good.

Valentines is just a Hallmark holiday that should really be ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

First Valentine's together, I got him a bottle of cologne, something chocolatey and cute and a little 'Me to You' teddy bear holding a rose or something. He got me nothing. I didn't mind, one bit. A few weeks earlier he bought me a silver chain for no reason and placed it on my pillow when I went to the bathroom one morning for me to find when I returned.

Last Valentine's I didn't get him anything...he got me a silver chain, a single white rose and card.

I don't think he minded one bit that I hadn't gotten him anything. Neither of us were into the whole commercial Valentine's thing. We used to pick up bits and pieces whenever if we thought the other would like it. We didn't need a date to show we cared.

But anyhow, we broke up shortly afterwards in March :o

With someone else this year... I don't know how he feels about the whole Valentine's thing. Personally, I really wouldn't be into big, extravagant flowers or presents or whatever; it takes away the meaning of them if they're bought because they had to be bought. As long as he remembers with a cute text message to show that he's thinking of me, that's perfectly ok... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭langerdan79

i'm in sydney for the year with my girlfriend and i'm going to surprise her with a climb of the harbour bridge. usually we wouldn't do anything major for valentines but this year is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i dont expect anything major, but i do expect something to just acknowledge the day & the fact that were together. even just a card & im happy.

i dont see the point in spending money & i dont expect it. last yr i got him a card & framed a photo of us that i knew he liked :) (now ill wait for boys to tell me this is a crappy present!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

This my first year ever going out with someone for Valentines and I'm really torn on what I want for it. It's so over priced and, from what I've heard from others, going out for it can be an awful tacky experience.

My current thoughts are that I would love a nice card (cards are important to me especialy the wording) and a big bunch of flowers delievered to work (and eventhough I love roses, I feel that they are hugely over priced for Valentines and would prefer them for my birthday) The things is though that I'd love either of those any time of the year too haha :)

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

I think flowers are tacky and a waste of money - as others have said cook your gf dinner and spend the evening with her at home, I'd enjoy it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Stress? Putting thought into getting a present for someone you like is a lot of fun...

Maybe I'm just a freak...

Yep very true, I love buying presents for my boyfriend. He's very easy to buy for though, he gets very stressed out about stuff to buy me though so go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think it's a nice excuse to go out for a meal. Split the bill ofc.
    As for flowers, nice as well but I'd buy them for him as well. When I have a "him" anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

He often buys me flowers randomly but I would love a meal out and a teddy!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

bluewolf wrote: »
    As for flowers, nice as well but I'd buy them for him as well. When I have a "him" anyway.

Would many guys actually appreciate flowers though? I know I certainly wouldn't like getting them....

Even when I buy them, I always feel like a bit of a thick walking about with them before I can give them to the girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Would many guys actually appreciate flowers though? I know I certainly wouldn't like getting them....

Even when I buy them, I always feel like a bit of a thick walking about with them before I can give them to the girl.

Mine generally have been very appreciative of them, yeah
    I also feel silly walking around with them but *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

nothing! i hate ye loved up couples, damn ye and your happiness! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

well last year i got everything but the card. i need my cards people!! he is bringing me away for two days this year so i hope this year he remembers my card. he did remember to get me an xmas card this year so here's hoping. i love to be spoiled on this day as im such a romantic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

eh. liking being spoiled doesn't make you romantic, it makes you selfish.

no offence, but if you were such a romantic, wouldn't you be doing something nice for him and not expecting presents and cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

ser i got him things too. last year i got his fav cheese that he could not find for years, a nice bottle of wine, fresh donughts as he loves them, a lovely card and a funny boyfriend mug. and this year i got him a lovely shirt, and some f1 stuff and going to get him some nice chocies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Seraphina wrote: »
    eh. liking being spoiled doesn't make you romantic, it makes you selfish.

i love being spoiled. but that doesn't mean that i don't love spoiling my b/f too. doesn't make either of us selfish.

Changed my mind about where to go for Valentines after seeing their set menu... anywhere you ladies would reccommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

I demand to be proposed to. (I know he'll read this so - Honey? TAKE THE HINT!!)

Hahahaha! But seriously. To be brought out for a nice meal or something. Even a day with just him, and nothing else...

But if he wants to go with number one there, who am I to deny him? :p

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Changed my mind about where to go for Valentines after seeing their set menu... anywhere you ladies would reccommend?
    Don't have dinnner anywhere on the night, its a complete rip off!
    They will rush you in and out and whack up the prices.
    Do something else and have dinner out the weekend after.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement