Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Day- for all you Valentines Questions and Comments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

I'd be happy with some form of acknowledgment, a card, flowers....anything doesnt need to be expenesive. as long as its something personal thats all i'd like.

I know its a commercial holiday. but still what girl wouldnt like to be made a fuss over. me and my boyfriend agreed no presents this year that we'd just go out for a meal in the local bar, and go halves on the meal. and then get a drink in the fancy hotel up the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

A dog! We usually end up getting each other stuff we don't need just for the sake of it so this year we agreed to spend the money on a dog instead. We got little Junior yesterday, he's gorgeous :p Me and my boyfriend are like proud parents, especially my boyfriend, he started sending everyone pictures of him as soon as we got him home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Baudelaire wrote: »
    Well he sounds like a keeper...lucky you! :D

ah i think he was only joking, he said something along the lines of " will you stop going on about it and leave me sort out what i am going to do myself"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

What do guys expect from this day? I'm only going out with my boyfriend 4 months but he booked a hotel for the weekend after (the 15th) as a suprise (he ended up telling me though) We've gone away several times already so it's not a huge thing. I hadn't a clue what to get him as we're just back from NY so he has all the gadgets and clothes he could ever want. Decided to book Westbury in Dublin and get tickets to a play we both want to see, plus a meal somewhere on the night. That's not till late March though. On the day itself we're doing nothing (i hope), hate going out for dinner that night. Hopefully we'll just stay in with a dvd and have an early night with a bottle of cheap champagne. How many people just agree amongst themselves to have a card, nice bottle of wine and a meal at home. Don't understand this mania of buying presents and expensive meals in cramped restaurants. I think the guys are afraid of getting nothing which means the girls then have to get an equally lavish present for the fella as well. It's like a vicious circle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 angelicious

I said I wouldn't do it because I couldn't afford to splurge as we're saving for holidays but feck it, as it's our first valentines day together I'm treating my hunni to a pair of tickets to see Eric Clapton at the Marquee in Cork. I was lucky to get them because the gig sold out in less than half an hour!

He know I have them, (had to tell him because he was trying to get tickets as well), but he thinks they'll be an early birthday pressie. Little does he know, hehehe.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Nothing - no Valentine in sight for me. And compared to the Valentine's I had last year, I'll gladly take nothing.

I've had a couple of them. The worst Valentine's I've ever had were those that were in relationships. At least when you're on your own you've no expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

bring her to sam becketts in lexlip it's fab. was there last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Every year on Valentine's day I get a home-made card. The first wished me Happy British Beef Day. Then there was Happy Perspex Day (got a piece of perspex too). Then there was "Happy Battery Day" and I reckon you can guess what I got. "Happy Insect Day" was good - he covered my room in plastic insects. :) And so on...

We both hate Valentine's Day - it makes couples feel under pressure and makes single people feel lonely. Every Valentine's night we organise an anti-Valentine's evening with about 20 friends. We project a movie onto the wall and eat really greasy food. We wear jog-pants and similarly unsexy clothes. All kissing and hand-holding is banned for any couples who come. It's great fun. This year it's the Bourne Supremacy! Can't wait. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Fire is lovely - their steak is only gorgeous.

As a lassie, i'd be delighted with Fire. The dining room is AMAZING!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

In the past I've gotten single roses, home made cards and mixed CDs. So something along those lines... I think it was last year he had the room filled with candles. How cute is that?? :o

I booked for us to go to the Fire restaurant at the Mansion House. Looking forward to that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

We both hate Valentine's Day - it makes couples feel under pressure and makes single people feel lonely. Every Valentine's night we organise an anti-Valentine's evening with about 20 friends. We project a movie onto the wall and eat really greasy food. We wear jog-pants and similarly unsexy clothes. All kissing and hand-holding is banned for any couples who come. It's great fun. This year it's the Bourne Supremacy! Can't wait. :)

thats such a good idea! & its so true, crappy for single people, & not that great for couples either!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Hey Ladies.
    Quick question,as we all know valentines is nearly upon us.Me and the gf recently moved into a new apartment,very close to a women's only gym.She mentioned it in passing that she was thinking of joining.Ive been thinking of buying her the membership for valentines day.
    Is this a good or bad idea?
    Is it something totally unromantic and shud i just stick to the old reliable flowers,chocolates,teddies and dinner.
    Would any of you be offended if ur bloke bought u a gym membership?
    Interested in opinions, good,bad or indifferent.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you know she wont take it the wrong way, its a great idea. Teddies and chocolates are a bit dull and boring, doing something different is a much better idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

If she's mentioned it in passing then I would go for it.
    It shows you do listen to her she'll be impressed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I get back from holidays with the gf on Valentines day. I'll have given her the card that morning, and the flowers will be at her homeplace (to keep her happy)

After that it's chinese takeaway and down to the pub with the lads from the trip! Woo!!

sar84 wrote: »
    thats such a good idea! & its so true, crappy for single people, & not that great for couples either!

Sounds great cept for the kissing and holding hands , I love cuddling during movies:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I think couples who kiss and cuddle constantly in front of their friends are inconsiderate and self-obsessed. We keep our affections for when we're on our own.

PS I like that band in your sig. Are you in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

To me it majorly screams of insecurity.

Yeah, people need to actually stop and think about why they blindly follow the Valentine's Day "rules". A good start would be to watch The Simpsons episode Trash of the Titans and the bit about "Love Day" :)

I think couples who kiss and cuddle constantly in front of their friends are inconsiderate and self-obsessed. We keep our affections for when we're on our own.

PS I like that band in your sig. Are you in it?
    No Its three guys from swords
    One of them is a ex's cousin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

It's plain rude. Have two friends that do it literally mid conversation and I think it's incredibly inconsiderate. I don't do that with my boyfriend in her company so I expect her to show me the same respect.

Myself and himself don't bother with Valentine's Day. It's a load of rubbish. Plus, if I kicked up a fuss about Valentine's Day you can be guaranteed he'd do the same for Steak and Blowjob Day :p

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    To me it majorly screams of insecurity.
    Chinafoot wrote: »
    It's plain rude. Have two friends that do it literally mid conversation and I think it's incredibly inconsiderate. I don't do that with my boyfriend in her company so I expect her to show me the same respect.

I just can't help myself :)

If its done in an insecure manner it must be subconscious mostly its because as I'm busy most the time I see him maybe twice , three times a week and I miss him
    were together 7 months

It's cool that you're so in love, however seeing him two or three times a week is quite frequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Dudess wrote: »
    It's cool that you're so in love, however seeing him two or three times a week is quite frequent.

Agreed. Anyway, started a new thread on the subject here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I don't really have any expectations for Valentine's Day and I agree that it is a totally manufactured holiday that only florists and Mr. Hallmark like.
    I've been with my OH for almost 9 years now and generally one of us cooks dinner and we sit in with a nice bottle of wine and a dvd. 2 years ago he was away with work for a week or so around the time of Valentine's and he sent me a bunch of roses to work just to say hi and let me know he was thinking of me. It was a total surprise and rather unlike him. In the early stages of our relationship we used to make a big deal of it but now we're older and wiser and make our own celebration.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

I kind of have a romantic version of valentines day in my head
    its not the fluffy hearts version that hallmark sell, but more
    the perfect evening. No cheesey lines, the romantic mood. a nice dinner and dessert, and finally a very steamy session in the bedroom :D

Only thing is I told my BF I think valentines is a crock of S*&£, and I meant as in ridiculous gift giving ( I don't mind small gifts, but spending 300 quid on valentines is ridiculous) and hallmark type cheese. Now he thinks I hate valentines and now I've probably ruined it:(

Ah, but why not arrange a night like that any time? :)
    Tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Reneging on my earlier anti-Valentine's Day sentiments, I am actually going to be sending the boy a black metal CD next week, but only because I won't see him for a few weeks and I really want him to hear it. It just happens to coincide with Valentine's Day.
    And sure I might as well send him some vegan chocolates while I'm at it, because he's great.

A black metal CD? Now THAT is romantic! :)

And I actually mean that because it's something he'd like, rather than something useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Borderline impossible to get a table at a decent restaurant.

One thing you could always do is visit the Carmelite church on Aungier street where, believe it or not, lie the relics of St Valentine (donated by Rome in the 1800s). Probably not very romantic though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Ah now i dont think there's anything wrong with a bit of romance. Me and my boyfriend always been very close. He's in wicklow and I'm in cork. we dont see each other that much, so we thought we'd make the effor for valintines day. Don't think thats a crime.

We're going out to dinner and i've heard he's also gotten me some flowers & wine to chill out after dinner with a movie....shrek 3....oh that boy knows how to get me going.

doesnt need to be OTT in your face to be romantic. just needs to be thoughtful.

I got him a new mug from the supermarket. just a plaine one....no cheesy worlds best boyfriend stuff... got him a nice bag of expresso coffee for his new coffee machine.
    and a small gillette fusion shaving set which was on special offer in the pharmacy :P cos he's always complaining about how he has to shave (his own choice i dont force him)
    Bit maybe it'll make shaving quicker and easier on his sexy face....

Anytime my boyfriend get together for a few days we always try at least to get one night just the two of us to go out on like a date. dinner and a movie, or something like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement