Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Car For Me?

Options
  • 25-01-2008 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

So I made a deal with the auld lad.

Heading into my last year of college, 25 year old lad, have had a provisional forever but no driving experience as (A) always go away for the summer and (B) no point in getting insured on the car at home as I'm never home. So I've got a month coming up where I'll be home so might as well drive a bit. The auld fella said he'd pay for insurance as a named driver on a car if I buy it.

I'll have 2,000 to spend. What would you go for at this price? It can't be more than a 1.4 to keep the insurance down. I'd also like to get something semi-masculine. Not too keen on the auld Polo/Punto/Sequento look to be honest!

So my question is, if you were spending this money for your first car tomorrow, what'd ya buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Have you had a good look on carzone? - here's a search for cars under 2K and 1.4 litre.

There is a Mitsubishi Lancer 1.3 saloon I think, and 1.4 Golfs. Personally I'd prefer a nippier small hatchback than an underpowered saloon or larger hatch, but to each their own. There should be a few Honda Civics in your price range, but your insurance could be loaded for one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ucd_guy

Yea I've been through carzone alright. I'm just looking for the opinions of the experts, i.e. the lads here :D

Do ya think a 1.4L Golf is a good buy for 2-2.5K, for example?

ucd_guy wrote: »
    Yea I've been through carzone alright. I'm just looking for the opinions of the experts, i.e. the lads here :D

Do ya think a 1.4L Golf is a good buy for 2-2.5K, for example?

What year would you get for that money? You could be looking at manual windows and no power steering. Personally I think they are overpriced cars. I had a Mark IV one, and it wasn't great at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Gonna throw in a nissan micra into the running as they are great little runners, easy for learners.

Also on the list
    • Toyota Starlet 1.3
    • VW Polo
    • Renault Clio

chris85 wrote: »
    Gonna throw in a nissan micra into the running as they are great little runners, easy for learners.

Also on the list
    • Toyota Starlet 1.3
    • VW Polo
    • Renault Clio

I'd second the Clio, my wife had one and it was a great little car. A polo will probably have no power steering, so heavy enough steering when driving, and very heavy when parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On this budget I would be looking at the buy n sell, autotrader, etc and looking at a private sale. Garages selling cars around this price will be trying to shift rubbish and probably sell it as "sold as seen" meaning no warranty. You will get better value from a private sale in this price range. Just make sure you have someone with good mechanical know how look at the car before parting with your cash.

As to what type of car to buy well that probably depends on what you like really. Best thing to do is narrow down a list of cars you might like and test drive a few of them before deciding. Make sure to get insurance quotes on them before buying too so that you can afford to put it on the road.

Mid to late 1990s Nissan Almera, Toyota Corolla, Mazda 323, etc are all good value and tend to give very little trouble which is very important imo when on a restricted budget.

I have my eye set on a nice Golf, circa 2000 - I'd be willing to pay up to €2,500 for one. Are they reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Not as cool as the Golf but will less likely to give trouble:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=864914

Bit pipe-and-slippers for a 25 yr old lad perhaps but not girly, ultra reliable and there's something not widely known about the Almera MkI - fantastic handling...

A hatch version might be a bit sportier but this one looks a minter...

VW reliability overrated, at this money Japs are best for reliability and this generation of Almera is the best all rounder for your budget IMO...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 King of Faces

You could get a 1988 BMW, then at least you can say you drive a BMW, and other drivers will give you legit rezpekt on da streetz!!!1

I have my eye set on a nice Golf, circa 2000 - I'd be willing to pay up to €2,500 for one. Are they reliable?

You'd get a 2000 one for that money? I had one, and found it thoroughly overrated and overpriced. It was very sluggish, and they are poorly specced as standard. The interior plastics (cup holders etc) were flimsy, and the throttle cable (I think) got stuck occasionally. That said, the mark iv is a nice looking car, and appeals to a broad range of people.

• Advertisement

I'm actually quite keen on those Almera's. The Primera cousin of that is a nice car too... Looking around town today I've decided I'm quite keen on those, the Civics, the circa 1999 Opel Astras, and the circa 1999 Peugot 306's...

Would the insurance be roughly the same on all of these?

I'm actually quite keen on those Almera's. The Primera cousin of that is a nice car too... Looking around town today I've decided I'm quite keen on those, the Civics, the circa 1999 Opel Astras, and the circa 1999 Peugot 306's...

I think the 306 is a great car. The civic is probably a pretty nippy car, but apparently very easy to steal. Your insurance could be loaded a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Andy800

You Should Defo Go For A Honda Civic Or Sumtin In That Area. Small And Cheap.the Only Problem Is The Insurance!
    I Know A Guy Who Has Insurance For 4000e On A Civic. But If You Would Evr Decided To Get A Civic. 1992 Or 1993 Are Class

Andy800 :d

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Smallest engine in the Primera is 1.6 though. Check out the insurance on one first.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

god no man get onto quinn and get a quote from them for the different cars,
    civi's will most of the time be more expensive, easier to break into, popular with boy racers which also has an effect

here mate have a look at these, they also give the cars insurance group, but dont always go by this, if you really want a car you can get a quote on it just bargain with them and shop around:cool:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm

http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motoring/car-specifications/

have a look at a mazda 323fastback, the one styled by porsche designers

Looking around, the Mazda 323F isn't a bad looking car. Opinions?

Advertisement