Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places in dublin for DJ sets/decent electro?

Options
  • 25-01-2008 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi I've been a lover of good techno and decent sets but what are good places for it?

I've mostly been relying on the net for it but I'd love to find a good place I can go to club/listen. Most of the places I've been while sometimes decent have been mainly focused on getting pissed and dancing like a dumbass and less about the music.

So what would peoples suggestions be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

If you like techno Jeff Mills is playing in the Tripod in a few weeks.
    Or radiocity is meant to be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Mslug wrote: »
    Hi I've been a lover of good techno and decent sets but what are good places for it?

I've mostly been relying on the net for it but I'd love to find a good place I can go to club/listen. Most of the places I've been while sometimes decent have been mainly focused on getting pissed and dancing like a dumbass and less about the music.

few and far between thesedays im afraid, maybe check out some of the smaller nites like Bodytonic or the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tommylizard

tripod on a friday is probably the best place to go in my opinion. always decent music and a good mix of people. the closest 'nightclub' type place i've found to the old raves where it's more about the music than what you are wearing, have'nt ever had a problem in there with any arseholes.

an interesting thought behind this might be that most people who are doing *ahem* stuff are'nt doing cha but the little things. perhaps people are seeing that up-tight, paranoid ****e for what it is ie not inducive to a good night out mixing with other people...

just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

Chemistry in wax on wednesdays. (south william street)

It's midweek i know, but there are loads of drinks for 3 euro and the music is great. Really great! :D

They also have guest djs every so often. France's Teenage Bad Girl (Citizen records) are playing on the 13th of feb for instance.

Get in there...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Mslug wrote: »

Electric City every Thursday night is yer best bet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Actually Tripod is the best of a bad bunch, was there last nite and it's not bad at all, also Acii Disco @ Traffic on Saturdays is supposed to be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Audiocrkt

Id say for the best skill and good electro/tech house music would be pod on thursdays old backlash or now MR Jones the lads there run a tight ship there with DJs. But its always good music there i feel.

Other Nights would include:

Chemistry(Wednesdays @ Wax)
    Mis-Shapes(Fridays @ The Hub)
    Hospital(Fridays @ Wax)

For the likes of Chemistry on wednesdays which would be full on electro
    were the lads would whip out mainly stuff like boys noize or the likes of teenage bad girl.Good crowd all in all. Not my cup of tea really get tired of really full on electro and the lads seem to use a laptop.

Also Hospital is a good night on a friday i havent been down there myself in while since i do my own night in the hub. But its Techno and electro down that way. Crowd down there are fairly sound aswell like most electro crowds.

As for my Night which is Mis-Shapes we do an indie & Electro club house night
    Which would consist of music from Css / Blur / Switch / Justice / Daft punk etc. Our crowd would be more indie heads since we have bands on before our night. Check us out if you get a chance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 prof_darkins

Thurs, Fri and Sat in The Pod (downstairs and to the right of Tripod entrance) are the best techno nights in dublin in my opinion. Bodytonic ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭BillyoftheBeast

Audiocrkt wrote: »
    Id say for the best skill and good electro/tech house music would be pod on thursdays old backlash or now MR Jones the lads there run a tight ship there with DJs. But its always good music there i feel.

Other Nights would include:

Chemistry(Wednesdays @ Wax)
    Mis-Shapes(Fridays @ The Hub)
    Hospital(Fridays @ Wax)

For the likes of Chemistry on wednesdays which would be full on electro
    were the lads would whip out mainly stuff like boys noize or the likes of teenage bad girl.Good crowd all in all. Not my cup of tea really get tired of really full on electro and the lads seem to use a laptop.

Also Hospital is a good night on a friday i havent been down there myself in while since i do my own night in the hub. But its Techno and electro down that way. Crowd down there are fairly sound aswell like most electro crowds.

As for my Night which is Mis-Shapes we do an indie & Electro club house night
    Which would consist of music from Css / Blur / Switch / Justice / Daft punk etc. Our crowd would be more indie heads since we have bands on before our night. Check us out if you get a chance :D

None of those nights are electro.

The advent is playing a set in a few weeks which will be electro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Thurs, Fri and Sat in The Pod (downstairs and to the right of Tripod entrance) are the best techno nights in dublin in my opinion. Bodytonic ftw.

Backlash has gotten a bit of a make-over and is now called Mr. Jones. The take-it-or-leave-its tend to just bang around the smoking area and the middle bar while there's some good stuff in the main room. Especially good if your gang includes some people that wouldn't be 100% into electro/techno.

Hospital and Electric City are both very decent too.

Hospital is darker and more minimal, with a different mix of regulars and randomers every week but always good banter.

Have heard the Chimstry DJs but not at the Chemistry night itself. Bouncy, happy, bumpity-bump stuff. I'd say it'd be a larf.

In my experience it's great to go somewhere regularly but the trick is not to go to the same place religously, week in week out.

• Advertisement

ffs

yeah, they're "nu-house"

-no they're not! they're "discoklash"

--like, omfg discoklash is so over. i'm really into "italosynth" now

shoot me

What are you on about you moron?

wtf u ****en on about did u even go down to any of them??? ive played at them.
    you obviously dont know what u talkin about

You've played at them and you still don't know what you play. Boyz Noise are not electro. If you sent me into a **** gig likke that after asking for electro I'd hunt you down.

Stick this up your arse electrohousefags

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-exOhw79b0

moron.
    You clearly have no idea.

You're on my list Jonathon.

here billy give us a few artist there on who u think are electro artists just to see what u think is electro and what i think is

shut up and dance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

You've played at them and you still don't know what you play. Boyz Noise are not electro. If you sent me into a **** gig likke that after asking for electro I'd hunt you down.

I would class Boyz Noise as electro.

• Advertisement

You're on my list Jonathon.

Fair enough man, but at least spell my name right.
    It's right there on the left like...

also the advent are techno

Also another point being electric city is bringing them in there known for bringing in techno artists

heres some links there saying they are techno and even on there myspace they say there techno

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Advent%2C+The

Longtime advocates of sonic terrorism even before banding together as the Advent in 1993, Cisco Ferreira and Colin McBean's assault on conventional techno flourished in part because of abundant glimpses into related styles, from electro and hip-hop to techno.

http://www.myspace.com/ciscoadvent

"Cisco's career began more or less after leaving school (1986)..
    He studied Sound Enginnering for 3 years @ Paddington College and worked/intern as a sound engineer for ZOLOU STUDIOS/THE WALL.. Which is also where one of the 1st Uk>>>>>>>>>>> House/Techno<<<<<<<<<<<< Labels was based.."

Tusky wrote: »

as does most people who listen to boys noize to be honest billy your just wrong

Stick this up your arse electrohousefags

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-exOhw79b0

the video of stingray playing is ****en techno too
    and people even say it in the comments

d'ye recokn boards.ie staff come round to random boards every now and again with new usernames and post idiotic comments comments just to stir things up!? :lol:

Are you guys insane. Dj Stingray is the living half of electro legends Drexciya.
    Yes the Advent plays techno but if any of you had your ear to the ground you would know he is playing an electro set.

Audiocrkt if you thyink dj stingray is playing electro then you are so far off the mark. I hope you aren't actually a dj as you are completely clueless.

Electro:
    Silcon Scally, Anthony Rother etc.

Also another point being electric city is bringing them in there known for bringing in techno artists
    Electric City started out mainly as an electro club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

anthony rother is borderline techno with tunes like lucifer. although thats probably his "darkest" tune..

to get back on topic, tripod is the best place to go if you like proper dance music, although the lineup is lacking somehwta imo over the next few weeks, on a friday, regardless of who is playing, you will have a great night.

my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Billythebeast and Jonathanpbk banned for 1 week for personal abuse

Guys, I dont like having to ban people, its done very rarely. Respect each others opinions please. If you dont agree with a post, attack the post, not the poster.

Cheers

Kev.

Btw, Electric City for me stands out as Dublins premier techno/electro club. (Granted mainly techno).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

you have just made a show of yourself unfortunately. the stuff youre talking about (electro house) is not electro, or anywhere close to electro. its a stupid name for a genre
    moron.
    You clearly have no idea.

he does tho, hes right. smells like a music snob alrite, but that doesnt make him wrong
    Tusky wrote: »

hes really really really really really not electro. and im a massive fan of his
    also the advent are techno

nah, its always been a fairly even mix of electro and techno from the advent down through the years. now granted ive not seen him for about 3 years, but back when i was buying records you could always rely on some amazing techno and some even more amazing electro
    as does most people who listen to boys noize to be honest billy your just wrong

boyz noise is electro house, bottom line. he'll tell you that himself. for the most part, the people who would class him as electro have probably never heard electro, and think its a genre that started with alter ego - rocker. which isnt the case. the guy is right, he just put his point across pretty pathetically
    copeyhagen wrote: »
    anthony rother is borderline techno with tunes like lucifer

rother is similar to the advent in that hes perfectly adept at techno or electro, and is quite prolific in the output of both

example...

THIS http://www.emusic.com/artist/Decal-MP3-Download/11582552.html is electro

THIS http://www.myspace.com/boysnoizemusic is electro house

theres a massive massive difference im sure youll agree

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    you have just made a show of yourself unfortunately. the stuff youre talking about (electro house) is not electro, or anywhere close to electro. its a stupid name for a genre

he does tho, hes right. smells like a music snob alrite, but that doesnt make him wrong

hes really really really really really not electro. and im a massive fan of his

nah, its always been a fairly even mix of electro and techno from the advent down through the years. now granted ive not seen him for about 3 years, but back when i was buying records you could always rely on some amazing techno and some even more amazing electro

boyz noise is electro house, bottom line. he'll tell you that himself. for the most part, the people who would class him as electro have probably never heard electro, and think its a genre that started with alter ego - rocker. which isnt the case. the guy is right, he just put his point across pretty pathetically

rother is similar to the advent in that hes perfectly adept at techno or electro, and is quite prolific in the output of both

example...

THIS http://www.emusic.com/artist/Decal-MP3-Download/11582552.html is electro

THIS http://www.myspace.com/boysnoizemusic is electro house

theres a massive massive difference im sure youll agree

haha I love you :P

I was about to comment down that im sure that hes right on some points but i think hes over confinedent in others :P

Aw well **** happens

Advertisement