Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places in dublin for DJ sets/decent electro?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tommylizard

well if one good thing came out of this thread it's that i 've found new tunage in Boyz Noise, that Shine Shine is very good. nice one lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hans gruber

"electro" didn't all start with alter ego - rocker???

You're totally clueless Helix.

It was all started by alter ego, electro house IS electro, and Kraftwerk are predominantly disco.
    Legowelt is techno
    Orgue Electronique is synth-pop
    And Disco Raut is not one of the best tunes ever made.

On an interesting note - never knew rachmad had a tune called "Tir Na Nog" back in the day...where the hell did that come from???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Audiocrkt

"electro" didn't all start with alter ego - rocker???

You're totally clueless Helix.

It was all started by alter ego, electro house IS electro, and Kraftwerk are predominantly disco.
    Legowelt is techno
    Orgue Electronique is synth-pop
    And Disco Raut is not one of the best tunes ever made.

On an interesting note - never knew rachmad had a tune called "Tir Na Nog" back in the day...where the hell did that come from???

in all fair ness i agree with similar things like this

I feel these days music genres have integrted so much that its hard to say which artist is one specific genre.

so i end up putting them into more general cataorgies

i would consider electro house to be in the electro catagory if you get me.
    but everyone has there own apinion

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KevIRL wrote: »
    Billythebeast and Jonathanpbk banned for 1 week for personal abuse

Guys, I dont like having to ban people, its done very rarely. Respect each others opinions please. If you dont agree with a post, attack the post, not the poster.
    Cheers

Kev.

Hans Gruber also banned for one week for personal abuse.

Lads, I dont wanna lock this thread, please can we keep it civil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

lol hans gruber was taking the mickey there man, i know him and it wasnt personal abuse, it was him agreeing with everything ive said in the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Just to drag this slightly off topic again. I always thought Electro was Afrika Bambaataa, Man Parrish, Egyptian Lover, Mantronix etc. Am I wrong or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

no youre right

• Registered Users Posts: 15 spooney

Ok, to get back on the topic what are people's top 3 clubs in Dublin and why...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Audiocrkt wrote: »
    here billy give us a few artist there on who u think are electro artists just to see what u think is electro and what i think is

Billy's right in that you have no idea what you're talking about. Don't take my word for it though. Check out wikipedia for a clear and concise definition of what electro really is.

Boysnoise most definitely could not be classified as Electro :rolleyes:
    This article is about the genre known as simply electro, not to be confused with electro house, electroclash, electropop or electro-industrial, which are also often referred to as "electro" for short. See Electro for other meanings of the term "electro".

Electro, short for electro funk (also known as robot hip hop and Electro hop) is an electronic style of hip hop directly influenced by Kraftwerk and funk records (unlike earlier rap records which were closer to disco). Records in the genre typically have electronic sounds and some vocals are delivered in a deadpan, mechanical manner often through a vocoder or other electronic distortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

God I'm glad I dont genre-lize what I play.. it keeps things interesting !!!

Is decent electronic music not good enough for ya all ? we get little enough of it being played around these days in the current club climate :rolleyes:

For the record I like good non-commercial dance music in all its wordings... I appreciate the posters clarifying what "electro" and "electro-house" are .. although if all things go the way they go in the music industry, in 2 years tracks that were called electro-house now will of course have some crazy invented name tagged on, wiki's I'm sure will be updated to reflect that in the way only wiki's can.

Wikipedia has been known to be wrong at times too though.

[rant]
    I'm all for classifying genres, i also feel much of the sub-genre culture has been invented to make online selling / mail-ordering easier, but equally feel that in doing so, the punters the ones who pay our wages, don't ever manage to get exposure to the variety of music they would if there were less of the sub-genres present in the current dance music industry.

creating sub-genres also IMHO makes life very difficult for the smaller artist trying to get some recognition if he is pushed into one of the smaller sub class genres on the likes of beatport or similar sites.

We all have heard crossover tracks..the ones we cant class that would work equally in lets say a progressive night or elecro-house night ... what genre do we put these into ? ... or do we keep "inventing" new genres and split the industry and whatever clubscene we have even more ?

Bring back the "oh yeah you might hear a bit of that later on" to the irish dance scene.

Sorry for the rant but the Genre war / Classification "Grinds my Gears!" and will soon be the reason why if things keep going this way if will be almost impossible to go to a club night that isn't .. simply boring.
    electro house, electroclash, electropop or electro-industrial

Don't let us forget electro-punk ... but this thing has really really gone nuts:cool:

[/rant]

Mods feel free to delete / move if you feel it appropriate .. technically i guess this is re-thread-hi-jacking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭spyro_2001ie

Good electro in Dublin, yer after!

Some of the smaller independent promoters bring over some class acts.

http://www.myspace.com/deadbeatdublin
    This is a new club night just set up... Which plays electro in the traditional and dark sense. They just had over Boris Divider and plan a gig for the legendary Aux88 in the Tivoli sometime next month i believe.

http://www.myspace.com/funnightoutdublin
    Another new clubnight, just had Ed Chamberlain over(if you like your electro, you should know Ed Chamberlain) and they also plan on having a few other class acts over in the coming months,(so keep an eye on em')

http://www.myspace.com/kaboogiemusic
    Kaboogie have been going for a while now, they're mostly focused on DUB based music, but also have a varying array of acts over on a regular basis, (so watch em too)

http://www.myspace.com/mantraplabel
    A new Irish label launched recently, concentrating on Irish artists producing electro and techno. Also they throw the odd gig.
    Irish artists that are involved, Ed Devane & Magnetize

Also look at www.skkatter.net and checkout the audio section, to download some class electro mixes.

and my personal favorite electro/electronic acts would be

Subjex
    Monster X
    Ed Chamberlain
    DMX Krew
    Ceephax Acid Krew
    Debasser
    Si Begg
    Tipper
    Neil landstrum
    Autechure
    The Tuss
    Mike Dredd

as stressed before none of these acts produce electro exclusively, but branch into other genres too. But they all sound great!

Alot of the music presented here, is rather forward pushing, and not strictly club friendly music. So if your looking to go out and have a bit of a laugh, without being too serious about the music, Id recommend the previously mentioned, Bodytonic, Pogo and Pod nights that are on regularly in the city.
    But the small club nights mention above these throw some seriously fun & heavy nights out.

Oh yeah, and if your leaning towards the housey-er end of things, check out these 2 promotors, Human Music and Hospital

Goodluck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭skkatter

Makaveli wrote: »
    Just to drag this slightly off topic again. I always thought Electro was Afrika Bambaataa, Man Parrish, Egyptian Lover, Mantronix etc. Am I wrong or what?
    Old school electro, the best kind! I was lucky enough to fulfil a lifetime's dream of mine and play support for Egyptian Lover when he played here in June 2007. Anybody interested in finding out what real electro sounds like should download his set from that night: Egyptian Lover live at The Underground, my set from that night was also recorded and includes a mix of older and newer electro with a sprinkling of disco and a dab of techno here and there: me at The Underground.

Personally if I had to pick my favourite electro release ever it'd be Dopplereffekt's Gesamtkunstwerk , my holy grail of electro which was re-released by Clone Records (a great Dutch label that release a lot of amazing electro!) recently and is in my opinion an essential record for anybody who has ever uttered the word "electro".

Whoever said The Advent was just a techno act should go and do some research, he's released a large amount of electro and released an album for Drexciya and his own label Kombination Research.

Hospital, Backlash (when it was running) and Acii Disco aren't places you'd normally hear electro, they're good clubs but tend more towards the house/acid and electrohouse end of things (at least they did when I DJed at each one of them). Electrohouse is a bit of a silly name really as it bears little similarity to electro.

Lunar Disco is another great Dublin club that I don't believe has been mentioned yet, they book a lot of electro acts (they brought over Egyptian Lover in conjunction with Electric City) and just had Luke Eargoggle over for a live set last Saturday, I would have been up the front but I recently moved to Berlin (oh well!).

Advertisement