Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pushing Daisies to get primetime slot on ITV1

• 25-01-2008 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭

ITV1 is to screen its new American series Pushing Daisies in either a 9pm or 10pm slot - the first time an imported drama has aired on the network in peaktime since 1996.

The broadcaster has thrown its weight behind the series, which stars Anna Friel as a woman brought back from the dead, with the ITV director of acquisitions, Jay Kandola, describing it as "one of the most dazzling shows" she had ever seen.

Pushing Daisies, which airs on ABC in the US, has been one of the most popular new dramas this season in America, with the show, along with Friel and her co-star Lee Pace, nominated for Golden Globe awards.

It was originally thought that the series would air in ITV1's new late-night American drama slot on Fridays at 11.40pm.

But it has now been earmarked for a more high-profile 9pm weekday or Friday or weekend 10pm slot when it launches at the end of March.

The last time an American drama screened on ITV's main network in peak time - which it defines as 7pm to 10.30pm - was in 1996 with Millennium, Chris Carter's ill-fated follow up to The X Files.

Kandola told MediaGuardian.co.uk: "Pushing Daisies is earmarked for one of two primetime slots, depending on what the competition is like.

"They are proper primetime slots - 9pm or 10pm. At the moment it is not at 10.30pm."

Kandola said she put a bid in for the Warner Bros drama within an hour of seeing it with the director of programmes, Simon Shaps.

She added: "I said to Simon, 'This is the best show we will see this year - and why can't ITV have the best show?' He said, 'If you want it, lets go for it'. He was totally behind it."

Filming on the final episodes of the first series is currently suspended because of the US writers' strike.

Speaking at a press launch for the show today, its creator Bryan Fuller said he did not think the rest of the series would be completed.

Instead, Fuller predicted the show would go straight into a second run when the strike ends.

"We stopped production in late November," he said. "We have had lots of talks about strategy - do we come back and do more episodes and complete a season?

"We were aware of the strike coming and so the last episode that aired in the states was a cliffhanger.

"The most likely scenario is return and just start a second season, so we will have a short first season and then we will come back in full force with a complete second season. I think it will work out well for everybody."

Fuller said Friel, who made her name in the Channel 4 soap Brookside, was only cast late on in the process.

"We looked at a lot of actresses," he added. "We found out very late in the casting process that Anna Friel was coming to the states. She was so light and funny and she enthused the character with heart."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Great news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

tbh i found it to be too knowing and sickingly sweet to be watchable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Although I watched all the episodes that have aired in the States, I started to get very sick of it by the end. Every episode is the same. Don't think I'll continue with it after the strike. I much prefer shows with an ongoing plot as opposed to shows with 22 self contained storylines in a season, a la CSI, House, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

Oh I'm thrilled to see its getting a prime spot, it well deserves it :D
    RuggieBear wrote: »

I think one of the reasons I enjoy it so much is BECAUSE its so sickly sweet! Theres already a million other real world, gritty and downright depressing shows on TV. Its nice to turn on a show and feel all fuzzy and warm inside afterwards.
    Although I watched all the episodes that have aired in the States, I started to get very sick of it by the end. Every episode is the same. Don't think I'll continue with it after the strike. I much prefer shows with an ongoing plot as opposed to shows with 22 self contained storylines in a season, a la CSI, House, etc.

Well since only 9 eps have been made so far, theres nothing to say that in the future they wont incorporate SOME kind of running storyline. Theres always that possibility. Ok, so the nature of the show is kinda formulaic (solving a death each episode), but the production, direction and writing make it that little bit more unique!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

RuggieBear wrote: »

I recently finished watching it all and I am not so sure about it either. Overall I found it patchy and some of the quirkiness was just for the sake of it.
    Some of the episodes were also fairly pointless.That said people will enjoy it for its "difference" but it's not a patch on Dead Like Me IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

must say i really hated this show, watched the pilot, was ok, quirky, but gets old fast ! Reminded me of ugly betty, too many pastel colours. :D

Cant see it getting a second season tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

fairly sure its aleady been given a 2nd season obviously after the strike but it did extremley well in the sates inc ratings wise and IMO it was the best new show recently.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

oleras wrote: »
    Cant see it getting a second season tbh.
    Then you can't see rightly :) It's done very well in the US and is on for a second season.
    It's a nice heart-warming show and it's a good change of pace from the bleaker side of life portrayed in many TV shows devoted to nastiest ways to bump people off (and I watch plenty of those shows too). Not for everyone, sure, but a little bit of sugar helps the week go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

ixoy wrote: »
    but a little bit of sugar helps the week go by.

It tastes more like canderel ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SingingCherry

Aw, I adore this show, but have only seen two episodes while I was in the US visiting family. It's a huge hit over there and is definitely picked up for a second season. I'm happy I'll get to see all of it over here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Fecking ITV had to mess it up somehow I suppose:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7347911.stm?lsm

I don't understand them blaming the writers' strike, surely more episodes would be even harder to accommodate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

"Episode two was the only show we could drop without spoiling the storyline," an ITV spokesman said.
    What?!

The second episode is one of the best of the series! :eek:

Advertisement