Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drivers Indicating a Gardai Speedcheck

Options
  • 25-01-2008 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Anyone know if it is illegal to flash your lights at oncoming drivers to indicate that there is a Gardai doing speed checks up the road ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Probably is, we do it anyway though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭skaterdude

yes it is as i got caught doing it and had to pay a huuuge fine over it it was an undercover garda car coming my way :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Yeah, I vaguely remember reading in the newspaper about a lady in England or Ireland who flashed an unmarked cop car who was driving towards the check point. She was definitely fined for doing it, but I can't recall if she was given points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

skaterdude wrote: »
    yes it is as i got caught doing it and had to pay a huuuge fine over it it was an undercover garda car coming my way :(:(:(

We're all friends here. What was the fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

I saw a woman doing this a few days back.. only she was doing it way after the speed trap and i was like WTF are you flashing me for..??

Then about a km down the road i saw the cops sitting there..

I wouldn't bother flashing people this myself tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pascal14

Who can prove what you flashed at? You wont have anything dine unless you admit to it, in which case you deserve to have the book thrown at you for stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

id say its illegal all right unfortunately so you have to be careful if you do it ;).

anything that the tax collectors see as a potential threat to their revenue is :rolleyes:.

another reason to put speedtraps on big open dual carriageways. not only are they guaranteed to catch a huge number of people "speeding" but you cant really warn people in the opposite side either.

D_murph wrote: »
    id say its illegal all right unfortunately so you have to be careful if you do it ;).

anything that the tax collectors see as a potential threat to their revenue is :rolleyes:.

another reason to put speedtraps on big open dual carriageways. not only are they guaranteed to catch a huge number of people "speeding" but you cant really warn people in the opposite side either.

Good to see someone knows this con.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I can't see them enforcing any penalty on someone flashing their lights.

Its not illegal to flash your lights and who's to say you did it on purpose.

Pascal14 wrote: »
    Good to see someone knows this con.

and in the name of safety as well ..sigh... :rolleyes:.

uncle Gaybos dept of the nanny state is doing well on the propaganda front but im glad that some people have a mind of their own because they do know better :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Anyone know if it is illegal to flash your lights at oncoming drivers to indicate that there is a Gardai doing speed checks up the road ?

I was saved from getting caught in Canada by nice motorist that flashed lights.
    Of course there you could have excuse you were telling motorists about oncoming bears. Boom boom :D

AFAIK aren't you done for interfeering with the duties of the Garda or some such mullarkey.
    Even if there was no law by the time they had finished examingin your car you would be done for a bald steering wheel.

Surely it is traffic calming of sorts and aiding adherence to the speed limit.
    Afterall isn't all about cutting speed and saving lives or is it really about revenue gathering :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"impeding a garda in the course of his duties" I believe the official offence is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I specifically recall a chap in kildare being brought up in court for this. He tried to claim he'd gone over a bump in the road, and they'd misinterpreted this for a flash.

uncle Gaybos dept of the nanny state is doing well on the propaganda front but im glad that some people have a mind of their own because they do know better :D

Exactly. Finally someone who has not bought into the stories.

Speed traps are a con.

uberwolf wrote: »
    I specifically recall a chap in kildare being brought up in court for this. He tried to claim he'd gone over a bump in the road, and they'd misinterpreted this for a flash.

I bet he got off as well. His word against theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

MYOB wrote: »
    "impeding a garda in the course of his duties" I believe the official offence is.

I can't see why.

It would be the same as telling an ordinary person entering a bank that they better not rob it as they saw Gardai in there.

If anything it would be aiding and abetting crime, but it can't be really as you don't know if the other person is indeed speeding as he's coming past you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Niall1234 wrote: »
    It would be the same as telling an ordinary person entering a bank that they better not rob it as they saw Gardai in there.

No, it'd be the same as telling someone wearing a black and white stripey top and carrying a bag with "swag" on it not to rob the bank... surely its pointless flashing people that don't appear to be over the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

My Dad was caught flashing (his lights ;)) a few years ago between Horse & Jockey and Cashel.

An unmarked Camry was coming the other way. He had to go to court and was fined £700 for "impeding a garda in the course of his duties".

....He hasn't flashed since :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

No, it'd be the same as telling someone wearing a black and white stripey top and carrying a bag with "swag" on it not to rob the bank... surely its pointless flashing people that don't appear to be over the limit?

In general, anyone who is flashing will gnerally flash at everyone, just to make sure.

actually it does do one thing at times depending on the road. the cars doing the limit slow down even more and this causes a tailback of very slow cars.

im sure weve all seen it before. all of a sudden you come to a traffic jam and what is causing it?

one very redundant tax collector :D. no victims today sorry mate :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I flash my lights at everyone, speedtrap or not. I'm doing my bit for road safety.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sweeper4

jamieh wrote: »
    My Dad was caught flashing (his lights ;)) a few years ago between Horse & Jockey and Cashel.

An unmarked Camry was coming the other way. He had to go to court and was fined £700 for "impeding a garda in the course of his duties".

....He hasn't flashed since :D

As we all know the Gardai are only interested in road safety in performing these checks and are really disappointed when they catch anyone exceeding the speed limit - I think your Father should have argued he was actually "aiding a garda in the course of his duties" as surely the point of these checks is to ensure people are driving within the speed limit? Was this an official admission that the policy is to catch rather than to deter?
    This has come as a great shock to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

jamieh wrote: »
    Could he not say he thought the car was a friend and he was flashing 'hello' as some folk do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

jmayo wrote: »
    Surely it is traffic calming of sorts and aiding adherence to the speed limit.
    Afterall isn't all about cutting speed and saving lives or is it really about revenue gathering :rolleyes:

I've said it before and I will say it again. It's all a hoax. I know some roads are longer, straighter, and wider than others, but seriously...? I posted in another thread: German Autobahn (no limit), American Interstate (70mph), Irish Motorway (60mph). They are all made of the same stuff, and the same cars drive on them. The speed limit depends on a politician's thoughts.

During the oil crisis in the US, the speed limits all went down from 65 to 55mph. It took until just a few years ago (almost 20 years) for a mandate to set all speed limits to at least 65mph on the Interstates. Point is: it was not due to safety, or even the government making money, it was to "get back" at the newly formed OPEC nations.

Those that do not want to raise the speed limit now use safety to scare everyone into keeping is slow. Cars have only become safer over the years starting with simple seat belts moving all the way up to front, side, and curtain airbags with softer interiors and headrests that prevent whiplash, among many other features. If you are basing speed limits on safety, we should be going A LOT faster than we did 50 years ago, but the truth is: we aren't, and it's a crying shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Pascal14 wrote: »
    I bet he got off as well. His word against theirs.

he got done.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In all fairness, they were around before Gaybo was appointed Chairman of the NSC. The plans to privatise the speed camera network were also being made before his time.
    Secondly as chairman he has sweet FA to do in terms of coming up with policy!
    Thirdly, IIRC, he has been using the term "inappropriate speed" all along!
    MCMLXXXIII wrote: »
    I've said it before and I will say it again. It's all a hoax. I know some roads are longer, straighter, and wider than others, but seriously...? I posted in another thread: German Autobahn (no limit), American Interstate (70mph), Irish Motorway (60mph). They are all made of the same stuff, and the same cars drive on them. The speed limit depends on a politician's thoughts.
    People here (on the whole) can't drive though! They have not received proper training also!
    During the oil crisis in the US, the speed limits all went down from 65 to 55mph. It took until just a few years ago (almost 20 years) for a mandate to set all speed limits to at least 65mph on the Interstates. Point is: it was not due to safety, or even the government making money, it was to "get back" at the newly formed OPEC nations.
    Where is this rule that they must be set out based solely on max achievable speed? Many of the 60km/h urban speed limits are set to allow the maximum number of cars pass a point as quickly as possible.
    As for your claim about OPEC, no government can 'get back' at OPEC purely because they don't give a feck what people think!
    Those that do not want to raise the speed limit now use safety to scare everyone into keeping is slow.
    Like who? Many of our roads had their speed limits increased three or four years ago when we went metric!
    Cars have only become safer over the years starting with simple seat belts moving all the way up to front, side, and curtain airbags with softer interiors and headrests that prevent whiplash, among many other features. If you are basing speed limits on safety, we should be going A LOT faster than we did 50 years ago, but the truth is: we aren't, and it's a crying shame.
    The main problem with the fact that our tyres are better, more airbags, ABS, TC, etc. is that people become more and more confident and end up having bigger impacts!

Don't get me wrong. I love to drive fast and (touchwood) so far have no points. However, people in this country couldn't cope with speed limits like Germany!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

, but seriously...? I posted in another thread: German Autobahn (no limit), American Interstate (70mph), Irish Motorway (60mph). They are all made of the same stuff, and the same cars drive on them. The speed limit depends on a politician's thoughts.

....and after all that you don't know the correct Irish Motorway speed limit

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

I personally do not think its a big deal. I would prefer to have an oncoming car flash to let me know there is a check point so i can be extra vigilent in case the car in front jams on the brakes ahead.
    Its funny, even in 80k zones, when people notice a garda check point you will see people drop their speed radically to 50kph as soon as they see the garda, regardless of the fact that they were never going over the limit in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you are basing speed limits on safety, we should be going A LOT faster than we did 50 years ago, but the truth is: we aren't, and it's a crying shame.
    You seem to be forgetting that there was a lot less vehicles on the roads 50 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Cars have only become safer over the years starting with simple seat belts moving all the way up to front, side, and curtain airbags with softer interiors and headrests that prevent whiplash, among many other features. If you are basing speed limits on safety, we should be going A LOT faster than we did 50 years ago, but the truth is: we aren't, and it's a crying shame.

You also seem to forget that our bodies remain the same as 50 years ago. Most serious injuries from high speed impacts are internal injuries. Technology in cars has not advanced enough to ensure we are immune to internal injuries if 2 cars collide at 100kph each. The technology only reduces the injuries to us.

Advertisement