Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiked Prices!!

Options
  • 25-01-2008 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi all,

My boyfriend lives in the UK, and so we fly a lot with Ryanair from Dublin to Bristol. The last few months they have been mostly 1cent flights each way, about 28euro in total, never paying more than 70 at most.

But looking at 2008 prices, it has JUMPED! I mean, some of the flights are totalling 170 euro... which is bad news for my relationship!

Any idea why this would happen? I refuse to pay that money for crap service to be honest... I could get to most European cities on the price they are charging for a 25 minute flight...

Thanks for any ideas on this

Grace

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Munster playing Gloucester shortly???

Do people not understand supply and demand anymore??

Companies cannot make money on 1c fares... cmon..bit of realism here.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Girrrrseach

Errrm.... Okay.

Realism? I am going on what I have been paying for the last 4 months, and yes, they were 1 cent flights (before T&Cs obviously)

Just can't see how they can jump so ridiculously high in the space of a week.

Was just a wondering.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Your other options are Flybe to Exeter and a train or train to Belfast and then Easyjet to Bristol. Neither are particularly cheap options.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Your other options are Flybe to Exeter and a train or train to Belfast and then Easyjet to Bristol. Neither are particularly cheap options.

Yeah - He actually lives in Swindon. Flying to Bournemouth is another option, which may be slightly cheaper than Bristol...

That or get the bus to London :P

Honestly, it IS a worry - And it tends to be a lot more expensive when he is flying over here, even for the exact same dates that I try it from Dublin. It has worked for a good few months, but we will just have to see.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Yeah - He actually lives in Swindon. Flying to Bournemouth is another option, which may be slightly cheaper than Bristol...

Southampton with Flybe would also be an option. The train connections might be better. I'd choose that over Bournemouth but I think that's because I'm allergic to anything to do with Michael O'Leary. :D
    Honestly, it IS a worry - And it tends to be a lot more expensive when he is flying over here, even for the exact same dates that I try it from Dublin. It has worked for a good few months, but we will just have to see.

A colleague of mine lasted 3 years in a Dublin <-> California relationship. :eek: Stick it out if it's working.

• Advertisement

IRLConor wrote: »
    A colleague of mine lasted 3 years in a Dublin <-> California relationship. :eek: Stick it out if it's working.

Yup - Will have a look at those options - Could also try Cardiff at a long shot... You've helped a lot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Errrm.... Okay.

Realism? I am going on what I have been paying for the last 4 months, and yes, they were 1 cent flights (before T&Cs obviously)

Just can't see how they can jump so ridiculously high in the space of a week.

Was just a wondering.

Realism!!!... do you seriously think airlines can survive on 1c fares???

Ridiculously is relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

This should really be over on the Ryanair rant thread in the travel forum, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

You have discovered the myth of low fares. It all depends on demand. Book a flight for tomorrow to return the following day and it will cost you more than if you book a month in advance. Book a flight on a day that everyone wants to travel and you pay more. There are only so many 1 cent fares available on each aircraft.

The 1 cent fares are loss leaders to attract you to fly with them. In practice most people pay bigger fares even with Ryanair. It doesn't just apply to Ryanair though. They are all at it.

The trick is to book early and or pick days when fewer people want to travel.

Advertisement