Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW e46 Petrol Fumes in Car

Options
  • 25-01-2008 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

There seems to be petrol fumes within the car - which seem to get
    stronger when stopped in Traffic - has anybody else had this
    problem??? Or know what it may be??

Mine is a 2002 e46 316

Thanks,
    Keith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

petrol or petrol exhaust smells?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Petrol alright - lifted the bonnet and seems to be strong there
    Might be a leak in the fuel pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Yep it sounds like a fuel leak, possibly at the fuel rail (either the send or return pipes) Reason the smell is so stronger when stopped is because the engine is not using as much fuel so the pressure is stronger.

Id get it looked at if i was you, not just because you are wasting fuel but also because of the danger of fuel leaking in an engine compartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

more than likely your Lambada sensor or 02 sensor knackered, get it scanned at a garage with diagnostics gear about 30 euro

Had the O2 sensor changed about 5 months ago
    Engine light had gone on - No engine light this time - so hopefully not one of those

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i would get this check straight away... or open a window atleast ;)

Turns out the connection from the fuel pipe to the engine - was loose - not sure if there was a piece missing off it - anybody familiar with this????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Turns out the connection from the fuel pipe to the engine - was loose - not sure if there was a piece missing off it - anybody familiar with this????

Have you checked www.realoem.com to get a diagram of the connection? I presume its to the fuel rail....

if you enter in the last 7 digits of your VIN you'll be able to find the diagram there....

Excellent site - thanks for that!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AY32&mospid=47624&btnr=13_0947&hg=13&fg=15

Part number 10 - this is the pipe that got loose leaking petrol - seems to be ok now - no idea why it got loose though

Advertisement