Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Council Strike On Monday

• 25-01-2008 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

next week starting at 00.00hrs on monday morning all outdoor staff in the city council ard downing tools e.t.c for all out strike... so no bins, no water dept, no traffic wardens, no litter wardens.... and pickets on all city council buildings excluding the fire station and the cemetary..for obvious reasons.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ah great, so I can park where I want on Monday and get away with it :p

What are they on strike for? I assume there not getting paid enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

there is a number of issues on the table cant really post here but it could be a long one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

so will my bin be still picked up monday morning at 9am?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ah happy days so, a free for all with regards to parking through out the city centre.

south wrote: »
    so will my bin be still picked up monday morning at 9am?

no it wont as ALL outdoor staff are on strike and unless there is a last minute intervention which looks unlikely it wont be collected all week or the week after .. get my drift.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

When people go on strikes dont they usualy tell the public WHY they are going on strike? Its hardly a secret, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The strike has been called off due to the death of a city council worker so don't go nuts with the parking lads. :D No date set for the strike to be on yet.

Yeah, WLRfm reported this on the Six o Clock news last night, but I though that portlairge knew something else, when he posted this thread after half seven yesterday evening.

RIP to the worker that died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

portlairge wrote: »
    no it wont as ALL outdoor staff are on strike and unless there is a last minute intervention which looks unlikely it wont be collected all week or the week after .. get my drift.

sorry i should of read the post properly "00.00"

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Yeah, WLRfm reported this on the Six o Clock news last night, but I though that portlairge knew something else, when he posted this thread after half seven yesterday evening.

RIP to the worker that died.

Well thats where I got my info from too so maybe portlairge does know something. It doesn't sound like something they'd change their mind about though.

• Advertisement

the strike has been posponed as a mark of respect to jim sheeran. jim worked as a probably one of the most regonisable council workers he was responsible for keeping our streets clean in the city center. may he rest in peace.

Indeed. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

portlairge wrote: »
    the strike has been posponed as a mark of respect to jim sheeran. jim worked as a probably one of the most regonisable council workers he was responsible for keeping our streets clean in the city center. may he rest in peace.

Was he the guy with glasses, fairly thick dark rimmed ones IIRC?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote: »
    Ah great, so I can park where I want on Monday and get away with it :p

I'd imagine the Gardai will be out to make up for this kinda stuff :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd imagine the Gardai will be out to make up for this kinda stuff :)

Afaik, they dont have the authority to do so, unless you are parked in an illegal way, ie.. loading bay or double or single yellow lines, which has always been the case anyway.

Aquos is pretty accurate. Afaik its the traffic wardens job to man the car parks!

no ye are all wrong there.. the city council write and impose the traffic bye laws for the city and yes the traffic wardens do carry out these parking bye laws but the gardai are also enpowered to carry out the same offences as stated in the bye laws.. they can give a ticket for non display of a valid parking disc but they dont do it on a daily basis because that is what the wardens are there for. but when the wardens are not around guess what the gardai issue the fines.

personally coming from a man on the know.. well ex now

Interesting to note! Thanks for that!

We cant even get the Gardai patrolling out streets properly, I cant see them having any interest in handing out parking tickets to cover traffic wardens who are on strike. That would therefore suit the Corpo down to the ground. While their traffic wardens are on strike, they are still making money from parking fines

Abit like management doing the work of workers who are out on strike. Gardai I guess would be scabs then. Cant see it happening to be honest.

any monies from fines issued by the waterford/kilkenny gardai goes back into the waterford/kilkenny garda division... and not to the city council...

• Advertisement

So are the Council workers actually on Strike today?

Advertisement