Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One legged crow

• 25-01-2008 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine saw a one legged* crow in a car park the other day. That unusual?

*Or whatever the corrrect term is

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Not being a smart arse, but it is about as unusual as a one legged or one armed person.

You will see Jackdaws, carrion crows, rooks etc with bits missing off of them. Be it a leg, a portion of beak, tail feathers etc. They are a very hardy bird, and amazing survivors.

They often take damage from a predator when young or from another bird. Some die from the injuries but many adapt and live pretty normal lives afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Kess73 wrote: »
    Some die from the injuries but many adapt and live pretty normal lives afterwards.
    He seemed well able to manage hopping along on one leg when he had landed. Wish I had the camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Just curious as to other species 'survivability'. I rarely see any other type of bird surviving serious injury, they seem to die very soon after. Is it just crows/carrion feeders that live on.

On a side note, just wondering has anyone ever seen a dead Heron?

Roen wrote: »
    Just curious as to other species 'survivability'. I rarely see any other type of bird surviving serious injury, they seem to die very soon after. Is it just crows/carrion feeders that live on.

On a side note, just wondering has anyone ever seen a dead Heron?

Yep I have seen a dead heron before. Why do you ask?

Other species of Irish bird can survive injury too, but not as often or as well as the rooks/crows/jackdaws/magpies etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

It's just I had a conversation with some guy I met whilst walking on the backstrand one day and he made the comment that he had never once seen a dead heron.
    It struck me as strange that I had never seen one either. I have seen one since mind.
    I guess they either die up high in their nests or in a river or coastal area and are never normally seen.

• Advertisement

Roen wrote: »
    It's just I had a conversation with some guy I met whilst walking on the backstrand one day and he made the comment that he had never once seen a dead heron.
    It struck me as strange that I had never seen one either. I have seen one since mind.
    I guess they either die up high in their nests or in a river or coastal area and are never normally seen.

Have come across a few down the years, but I fish and boat a lot, so would be in areas with herons quite a bit.

Have seen a few that died due to carelessness too, where they got caught in nets and the like.

Advertisement