Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planet Dad

Options
  • 25-01-2008 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Well, at this stage we have three under 5. Not that the numbers really matter. Love them all. From the kids I've got an appreciation of Spongebob, how to be excrutiatingly patient, how to keep a lid on it under pressure, guilt-free viewing of all the hottie presenters on kids TV, a ring-side seat on how kids learn to interact, fit in, lie, are brutally honest, absorb all around and love to play and mess around and an appreciation of my own folks.
    I try my best to give em time and love.
    What have your kids given you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

ulcers, empty bank account and a grumpy wife:p, couldn't live without them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

pml :D

Patience. I'm a much calmer person since I had my children. When I announced I was pregnant with my first 13 years ago my family thought poor child :rolleyes:

I now work as a childminder and can be a big child to my hearts content. Being the eldest of 9 I didn't have a childhood so I can now make playdough, do arts and crafts, storytime, go to the park/playground.

On the other hand no matter how much housework I do my house gets messy and I spend my time picking things up, loads of laundry and am chief cook and bottle washer.

As I'm the only female in my home it's like how Danial Day Lewis recently described how his wife has to live with him and their 3 sons which means farts, smelly underwear and male smells.
    It's like a badge of honour with the males in my life :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

LMAO. I know there are not many replies yet, but this is one of the best threads I have seen.

For me, as a daddy to a beautiful 5 month old girl, I have to say it has been an overwhelming experience. Never in my wildest dreams could I have believed how rewarding parenthood is.

Since I became a mum I've a better understanding of the offside rule especially when the shopping queue version was given as an example :rolleyes:

Now that my children play soccer, rugby and hurling I know the basics of these sports and actually enjoy watching them. Before I had the boys I never had any interest in these sports apart from watching the All-Ireland Hurling final if my county was playing. I even go to matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

spot on:D

Also appreciate so much more the hell we all gave our parents:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 R&R

spot on:D

Also appreciate so much more the hell we all gave our parents:o

And how... no dishwasher, only a top loader washing machine & mangle, no 2nd car, no disposable nappies, and on & on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

R&R wrote: »

A grey happy trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

patience, a grumpy husband ;) a body beyond repair:( and so far more than 3 wonderful years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

I thought I had experienced life before my first daughter.
    Since the 2 year old was born, losing a second and another child on the way, I can honestly say that at various times, I've never been:
    A. Happier
    B. As sad
    C. As scared
    Sometimes all in 5 minutes.
    I wouldn't trade those times for the world though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Every day I come home from work and become a transformer. This week I am Barricade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I know what a napkin feels like now.
    Every time I pick up my 12mo old dd she uses me as a mobile handwipe, and then swings off my collar.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

R&R wrote: »
    Pink things. Yeah, lots of pink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 R&R

Thanks to the kids I now know what busy means. Used to think I was busy with work and all that other stuff but now I'm a cross between a project manager/logistics controller/counselor/transport manager and of course a little bit of good cop/bad cop.
    Basically the crew have undoubtedly helped me cut thru the bull and focus on what's important. It's all good... well most of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

That incredible feeling when one of them throws their arms around my neck and buries their head in my shoulder (at a time when they are not looking for me to buy something).

How they think you're the best mum or dad and look up to you and are proud of you until they're about 10 ish then start to think that you're an embarrassing fool who doesn't know what you're talking about :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ExpectantMum

So far... just big healthy kicks to the bladder and ribs!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

A reason to live!

Not that I felt morbidly without purpose before, but when you have kids, it really gives added meaning to your life. All of a sudden, you are one of the most important people in the lives of some very precious little individuals. What a wonderful privelege it is.

I notice this most when sitting on an airplane ready to take off. Before I had kids, I hadn't a care in the world. I was never afraid of anything happening me. Now when I'm ready to take off, I'm thinking of my two beautiful girls and terrified of something happening me - not for what would happen me, but because my kids would be left without me and no-one can love them like I can (apart from their mum of course!).

Advertisement