Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenue Attachment orders??

Options
  • 25-01-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Hi guys

Basically my sis in law and her partner bought a house 2 years ago. Prior to thier purchase I ran through the numbers roughly with them and included the standard rate of Stamp duty given the price they were gonna pay for the house. But the 2 of them insisted they didnt need to pay the amount I worked out since my sis in law was a first time buyer. I pointed out that that wasnt the case since her partner already owned a property.

Well they ignored my advice and payed the lower-first time buyers rate.

Today they recieved a demand from Revenue for €25,000...which Im sure includes interest and penalties.....and theyve come running to me to ask what happens.

Anyway i ran through what they normally do...but what I want to know is,does Revenue ever place attachment orders on personal bank accounts??

I know it can happen on business accounts,but Iv never heard of it happening to personal accounts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I haven't heard of attachments to personal accounts but they can certainly obtain a judgement and register it against their property. If they can't afford the payment they could approach the revenue commissioners to offer staggered or drip payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Clytus wrote: »
    Hi guys

Basically my sis in law and her partner bought a house 2 years ago. Prior to thier purchase I ran through the numbers roughly with them and included the standard rate of Stamp duty given the price they were gonna pay for the house. But the 2 of them insisted they didnt need to pay the amount I worked out since my sis in law was a first time buyer. I pointed out that that wasnt the case since her partner already owned a property.

Well they ignored my advice and payed the lower-first time buyers rate.

Today they recieved a demand from Revenue for €25,000...which Im sure includes interest and penalties.....and theyve come running to me to ask what happens.

Anyway i ran through what they normally do...but what I want to know is,does Revenue ever place attachment orders on personal bank accounts??

I know it can happen on business accounts,but Iv never heard of it happening to personal accounts.

Why didn't they put the house in her name? Would have saved a lot of hassle.

Attachment orders are bad news. The bank will sent off every penny in their bank accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

they did...but it makes no odds. Its whats on the mortgage that mattered.
    I spoke to them over the weekend and they havnt actually recieved the letter yet,they got the news through thier Solicitor. The 25K demand was only for the duty due at the date of purchase.
    I worked it out for them over the weekend...what they owe in fact is gonna be closer to €40,000 with interest and penalties.

But what i also found out is that properties that havnt been adequatly stamped have a question mark over the title of owership in legal proceedings.

basically they could have the house taken off them. But I still dont know if revenue can place attachments to personal accounts.

Advertisement