Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think I'm getting worse ...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i guess it's true what they say about people from cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Mordeth wrote: »
    i guess it's true what they say about people from cork

Im not from cork. My username is a play on my surname. Seriously wtf is up with all this speculation, assumptions and jumping to conclusions. Interpreting perceived reality over actual reality. Facts, until your certain of something dont say anything at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that's rich coming from someone who assumes Hivemind isn't from cork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Mordeth wrote:
    that's rich coming from someone who assumes Hivemind isn't from cork

Oooh, nice one. I'm living in Cork if that counts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Atheism and Agnosticism. Yeah i saw it, Is that to say only non-believers in god can post here ? In the same way atheists shouldnt be allowed cross over to the christianity forum and make posts or the Islamic forum etc ? because thats news to me.
    This forum is open to anyone. That is all I have say here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Zamboni wrote: »
    I have been asked to attend a christening soon and I really don't want to go as I think they rank highest in vulgarity. The indocrination of an innocent child :mad:
    I had to go to a Christening last year and I was very uncomfortable about it, mainly because I was the Godfather. The only reason the child was being christened was because her grandmother is a staunch Catholic - nobody else in the family gives a toss one way or another and that pissed me off a bit. Why are we going through this when the vast majority of the family don't believe in any of it? Just to keep the one religious zealot happy?!? But, I went through with it because my brother had asked me to do it and I suppose that was the important thing. It may make life easier for the child in the future if she decides she’s going to be a Catholic, although that’s pretty unlikely given her parents’ position.

Godfather is a strange title anyway – as if I need God’s permission to look after my own niece?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

And being a keyboard warrior attacking someone making fair comment in a public forum isnt?

But isn't that what you are and are doing here? You're completely intollerent of religious people and are complaining about them being intollerent of you. Well, why should they be? And then when it was pointed out to you, you attacked the poster.

Dude, you need to get laid and work off some of that aggression. Ireland is due for a Columbine type scene, so don't let it be you! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Has anyone else found themselves getting more and more irritated by the confounded nonsense people are clinging to?
    No. If I may say, I think you should try to chill out a bit. You seem to have real difficulty in encoutering those who do not see things as you.
    Perhaps channel that passion into something else, something more constructive that would make you happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

It amazes me that when someone has something a little more difficult to swallow that hte mealy-mouthed, holier than thou pseudo-lefty bull the the same types always comoe out of the woodwork.

Firstly, there is little aggression in the post. I could have started making threats. I didnt.

Secondly, what I was getting at was the irritation that I felt when I listened to the gibberish that was spouted at a funeral.

So a few people got offended. Good. Maybe if people werent spending so much time trying to be "nice" and not "hurt each others feelings" the world wouldnt be in quite the mess it is now.

There are a lot of posters in this forum who feel exactly as I do but are too afraid that it might wound some over-sensitive weaklings feelings. Why? The self righteous, beatifically smiling bible-thumpers feel no qualms about barging into a forum that is clearly marked Atheists & Agnostics and demands wew respect the outmoded and archaic supersitious hand me downs that they cling to. They feel entirely justified in attacking the concept of atheism, to the point of getting deliberatly offensive and making out right threats (threats being "you will go to hell" or some such rubbish, while it might not be considered with much credence by the one on the receiving end, it is certainly meant with the full venom of its myth).

Why is it that if I say something that the religuious ilk find offensive I am a trouble maker or an agitator or in need of working off aggression (or "getting laid" hurr hurr - minicall?) yet when the fire-and-brimstone brigade start banging on about gay marriage, abortion, stoning women, child abuse and the evils perpetrated by atheism no one gets annoyed? Its only ever one of two things: Wicknight & Scofflaw use near faultless logical and reason to batter arguments but they rarely include the same passion in their retorts as the theists would, a number of others start whinging about "respecting others beliefs" while not agreeing with them (spineless). Every so often someon loses it and they are heckled by the holier-than-thou element from both sides liberal and conservative, atheist and theist alike. Sometimes its deserved, sometimes its not.

What I'm getting at is that my original post was a reflection of my feelings during specific instances, assuming that I sit in a corner seething with some kind of anti-religious hatred (while a little amusing) shows more about the reactions of those who are offended by something they dont agree with than the person who wrote it.

All i wanted to know was:

Are there others out there who are losing their patience with the constant pandering to the nonsensical beliefs of others?

Are there others out there sick of having to "be nice" to others because "thats the done thing" (by which I mean respecting ridiculous personal beliefs and sanctimony without challenge for fear of hurting someones fragile little psyche)?

Does any atheist for one instant believe that when a fundamentalist christian, muslim or what have you hears you are an Atheist that they do not immediately judge you and start thinking of ways to convert you to their faith?

Is it possible that maybe we shouldnt be waffling about giving the credit for a mans life, for the sucess of his genes to some anthropomorphic personification of stone age mans inability to cope with things he doesnt understand?

Again, if I offend anyone, maybe thats a good thing. Maybe some of you need to be offended. It might just make you ask why you feel that way. More likely I fear, it will just draw more flak my way.

humanji wrote: »
    But isn't that what you are and are doing here? You're completely intollerent of religious people and are complaining about them being intollerent of you. Well, why should they be? And then when it was pointed out to you, you attacked the poster.

Dude, you need to get laid and work off some of that aggression. Ireland is due for a Columbine type scene, so don't let it be you! :eek:

Ignoring the "columbine" reference I want to pick on the rest of your post Humanji.

I am intolerant of blind, dogmatic, holier-than-thou, sanctimonious, pius, self-agrandizing, ego-by-proxy-of-implied-divinity, superstitious, antagnoistic, irrational, petty, violent and above all willfully ignorant rubbish.

While I might be a bit pithy, even downright outrageous sometimes, I am at least open to possibility and I am an equal opertunities keyboard warrior (something I never denied being).

I also didnt start by attacking the poster. He attacked me first. Childish I know, but i am comfortable with that.

Lastly, my point was clearly that I am indeed intolerant of religions, not of religious people (except the jerks ... and they come in every walk of life). I was trying to point out that we allow ourselves to go along with gibberish for fear of offending - why? Surely you offend and wound a child when they learn there is no santa clause, but in the long run it is better for them.

Basically, I dont see why we have to "be tolerant" of other peoples gibberish when they have no tolerance for us ... infact when their gibberish is anointed to the point of being morally and socially incorrect to question it ... for christ sake people we usd to be more than happy to shout "Oi Emperor! You're bollock naked man!"

• Advertisement

It amazes me that when someone has something a little more difficult to swallow that hte mealy-mouthed, holier than thou pseudo-lefty bull the the same types always comoe out of the woodwork.

Firstly, there is little aggression in the post. I could have started making threats. I didnt.

Secondly, what I was getting at was the irritation that I felt when I listened to the gibberish that was spouted at a funeral.

So a few people got offended. Good. Maybe if people werent spending so much time trying to be "nice" and not "hurt each others feelings" the world wouldnt be in quite the mess it is now.

There are a lot of posters in this forum who feel exactly as I do but are too afraid that it might wound some over-sensitive weaklings feelings. Why? The self righteous, beatifically smiling bible-thumpers feel no qualms about barging into a forum that is clearly marked Atheists & Agnostics and demands wew respect the outmoded and archaic supersitious hand me downs that they cling to. They feel entirely justified in attacking the concept of atheism, to the point of getting deliberatly offensive and making out right threats (threats being "you will go to hell" or some such rubbish, while it might not be considered with much credence by the one on the receiving end, it is certainly meant with the full venom of its myth).

Why is it that if I say something that the religuious ilk find offensive I am a trouble maker or an agitator or in need of working off aggression (or "getting laid" hurr hurr - minicall?) yet when the fire-and-brimstone brigade start banging on about gay marriage, abortion, stoning women, child abuse and the evils perpetrated by atheism no one gets annoyed? Its only ever one of two things: Wicknight & Scofflaw use near faultless logical and reason to batter arguments but they rarely include the same passion in their retorts as the theists would, a number of others start whinging about "respecting others beliefs" while not agreeing with them (spineless). Every so often someon loses it and they are heckled by the holier-than-thou element from both sides liberal and conservative, atheist and theist alike. Sometimes its deserved, sometimes its not.

What I'm getting at is that my original post was a reflection of my feelings during specific instances, assuming that I sit in a corner seething with some kind of anti-religious hatred (while a little amusing) shows more about the reactions of those who are offended by something they dont agree with than the person who wrote it.

All i wanted to know was:

Are there others out there who are losing their patience with the constant pandering to the nonsensical beliefs of others?

Are there others out there sick of having to "be nice" to others because "thats the done thing" (by which I mean respecting ridiculous personal beliefs and sanctimony without challenge for fear of hurting someones fragile little psyche)?

Does any atheist for one instant believe that when a fundamentalist christian, muslim or what have you hears you are an Atheist that they do not immediately judge you and start thinking of ways to convert you to their faith?

Is it possible that maybe we shouldnt be waffling about giving the credit for a mans life, for the sucess of his genes to some anthropomorphic personification of stone age mans inability to cope with things he doesnt understand?

Again, if I offend anyone, maybe thats a good thing. Maybe some of you need to be offended. It might just make you ask why you feel that way. More likely I fear, it will just draw more flak my way.

Why don't you submit some of your writings to a few newspapers? I could see it now, the angry atheist column - telling it like it is and refusing to take any liberal lefty nonsense or wacky jacko nutty religion.

Why don't you submit some of your writings to a few newspapers? I could see it now, the angry atheist column - telling it like it is and refusing to take any liberal lefty nonsense or wacky jacko nutty religion.

Any paper in particular?

I'd prefer if it were not the Metro or the Herald AM.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What about The Brief?

That's the best way to reach the silver-haired brigade hiding behind their tweed caps and flat shoes.

Any paper in particular?

I'd prefer if it were not the Metro or the Herald AM.
    I think you could do either. But, maybe you get angry about them as well and tie them into the story. Have a conspiracy that they are all tied to the Catholic Church.

Dades wrote: »
    What about The Brief?

That's the best way to reach the silver-haired brigade hiding behind their tweed caps and flat shoes.

Havent heard of the brief. I'm asuming its not a joke ;)

I'd prefer not to cause people to have strokes or rapid heart beats. You know how the blue-rinse brigade can be.

Its cute when Palahniuk gets people to pass out when reading guts. In Ireland I could be done for murder if some little old lady winds up face down in her chicken soup after reading the rantings of a dispeptic youth.

I'll leave the conspiracy thories to the Christians thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

The piece could be entitled "The Militant Atheist". You could insert an imagine of yourself in camoflague at the top of the page. Theres endless possibilities really. Maybe a slot on balls of steel in conjunction with the militant black guy.

Nobody likes extremists.

I couldn't give a flying **** what anybody thinks about me to be perfectly honest, but anyone who's going to try and convert me to any religion better have their 72 virgins lined up where I can see 'em...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

c0rk3r wrote: »
    The piece could be entitled "The Militant Atheist". You could insert an imagine of yourself in camoflague at the top of the page. Theres endless possibilities really. Maybe a slot on balls of steel in conjunction with the militant black guy.

Nobody likes extremists.

Well its a little hard to be an extremist Atheist I would imagine considering you're either an Atheist or your're not. I understand where Hivemind is coming from, I know certainly alot of my extended family and immediate family have very shallow faith yet they'll berrate you for not going to mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Have you been reading the Creationism thread?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Have you been reading the Creationism thread?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Q. First rule of the Guidestones?
    A. DON'T TALK about the Guidestones!!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

2Scoops wrote: »
    Q. First rule of the Guidestones?
    A. DON'T TALK about the Guidestones!!
    :D

Exactly.

aude, vide, tace,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I know certainly alot of my extended family and immediate family have very shallow faith yet they'll berrate you for not going to mass.

Yeah, my brother considers himself Catholic and goes to mass every Sunday but doesn't at all believe in life after death. He wouldn't consider himself anything like an atheist. My dad believes so little of it he is pretty much a deist but won't admit it, I mean he thinks Jesus was a fraud but he is still Christian. Even when I was at my peak of Catholic belief I could never bring myself to believe in things like transubstantiation or papal infallibilty. I can only conclude that alot of people stick with their faith just for the communal aspect. Either that or my family has some messed up views on belief :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Hivemind your talking crap, and trust me I know what I'm talking about, I've done a fair bit amount of that in my time.

Seriously, in your daily life how the hell does someone believing in the toothfairy lets say affect you? Now obviously nobody worships the toothfairy so that example is void.

So how about we choose the example of someone worshipping a diety of some description? How does this damage your life on a daily basis? Do you find the traffic a bit hectic because of mass punters making their way for another dose of catholicism?

I acted like a ****ing retard when I first came on the Atheist forum, but I stand by comments I made in relation to Anti-Theists like yourself.

I think your probably too grounded to turn your fabricated hatred into violence, but as Humanji said the sort of attitude like 'respect the person, not their beliefs' is a pre-cursor to events like Columbine.

Oh and someones beliefs is very much part of the person. So in essence you do hate the person.

Hivemind your talking crap, and trust me I know what I'm talking about, I've done a fair bit amount of that in my time.

Seriously, in your daily life how the hell does someone believing in the toothfairy lets say affect you? Now obviously nobody worships the toothfairy so that example is void.

So how about we choose the example of someone worshipping a diety of some description? How does this damage your life on a daily basis? Do you find the traffic a bit hectic because of mass punters making their way for another dose of catholicism?

I acted like a ****ing retard when I first came on the Atheist forum, but I stand by comments I made in relation to Anti-Theists like yourself.

I think your probably too grounded to turn your fabricated hatred into violence, but as Humanji said the sort of attitude like 'respect the person, not their beliefs' is a pre-cursor to events like Columbine.

Oh and someones beliefs is very much part of the person. So in essence you do hate the person.

You sir, are perjudiced and your opinion counts for nought with me.

See, I can do it too.

List of things that theists inflict on others every ****ing day.

1) Religion in schools.
    2) The sodding angelus on RTE.
    3) Church bells, Mosque recordings etc
    4) Scientologists in general.
    5) Jehovas witnesses and others knocking on your door peddling faith.
    6) Interference in politics.
    7) Influencing criminal law with needless moralising.
    8) Religiously motivated/condoned genocide.
    9) Religiously motivated/condoned persecution.
    10) The whole contraception issue.

Whether you like it or not, if you look for even an instant you can see places where theistic, ignorant, dogmatic beliefs are making other people suffer for no justifiable reason (other than god-said-so).

If you think that beliefs are "a part of th person" you are doubly confused. What of priests and clerics who lose their faith and become atheists? Do they lose a leg? An arm? Which part of them is it that their faith resides in? Do tell me so maybe we can start having it removed.

Psychologically a persons faith is only as much a part of them as a bad habit or an ignorant idea. They have just invested too much into it and it now appears as something else. You do not have to respect another persons faith, or their ideas (lets face it Est you dont respect our atheistic position so surely you of all people should be able to comprehend this startling simple precept). A human being is a separate entity from their ideology, you can have awesome respect for the individual while still thinking their theories and beliefs to be complete bunk. Bono is a prime example, I think most of the stuff he says is hippy-gibberish but you have to respect the man for managing to get as much done as he has. See what I did there? I did not respect the ideology or the gibberings of that Ballymun midget but I did respect him as a sucessful individual.

Its quite easy Esteban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

You sir, are perjudiced and your opinion counts for nought with me.

See, I can do it too.

List of things that theists inflict on others every ****ing day.

1) Religion in schools.
    2) The sodding angelus on RTE.
    3) Church bells, Mosque recordings etc
    4) Scientologists in general.
    5) Jehovas witnesses and others knocking on your door peddling faith.
    6) Interference in politics.
    7) Influencing criminal law with needless moralising.
    8) Religiously motivated/condoned genocide.
    9) Religiously motivated/condoned persecution.
    10) The whole contraception issue.

right so then YOU go and build school
    seems more people want it than dont
    church bells, car horns ?
    scientologists are their own buisness
    JW are not 'peddling' a religion they are trying to convert people
    many religions have beliefs which their followers who are entitled to vote on and/or make decisions on.
    the law is based on morals incase you dont know. for a brief history of our legal system read the book of numbers
    generallly relgiions as a whole dont condemn genocides, individuals withing a religion may expliit others belifs to manipulate them
    contraception is available at your chemist so again a non issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I am intolerant of blind, dogmatic, holier-than-thou, sanctimonious, pius, self-agrandizing, ego-by-proxy-of-implied-divinity, superstitious, antagnoistic, irrational, petty, violent and above all willfully ignorant rubbish.

But you display most of those things in your opening post. Why should people treat you better than you're willing to treat them? It doesn't make sense.

Havent heard of the brief. I'm asuming its not a joke ;)

I'd prefer not to cause people to have strokes or rapid heart beats. You know how the blue-rinse brigade can be.

Its cute when Palahniuk gets people to pass out when reading guts. In Ireland I could be done for murder if some little old lady winds up face down in her chicken soup after reading the rantings of a dispeptic youth.

Do you have an angry face for your journo picture?

You should at least start a blog. Sarah Carey wrote a blog and got offered a journalist position in the Sunday Times from it. There could be thousands of angry atheists out there bottling it all in who would just love to read and empathise with your column.
    You could have political campaign and call it zero tolerance for theology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Hivemind - call your column The Aggressive Secularist. I can see John Waters face the moment he opens the page:D

Influencing criminal law with needless moralising
    Not sure what you mean by this - could you give an example?
    Bono is a prime example, I think most of the stuff he says is hippy-gibberish but you have to respect the man for managing to get as much done as he has.
    Fair point.
    Spyral wrote: »
    right so then YOU go and build school
    Seeing as how atheists pay just as much tax as theists, surely it should be the government's responsibility to see that everyone's needs are met?
    seems more people want it than dont
    It is supposed to be a secular broadcaster, is it not?
    JW are not 'peddling' a religion they are trying to convert people
    Let's not split hairs, they are still damn annoying.
    many religions have beliefs which their followers who are entitled to vote on and/or make decisions on.
    Doesn't matter - we are supposed to be a secular republic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I felt very much as you did when attending my Grandmothers funeral.
    Died at age 91, had 10 children, most of whom were married with kids, some with kids of their own already.
    She left a very large group of people behind her. None of us would have existed without her. That's what was the focus for me. So I went to the funeral and bit my tongue.
    There are a lot of posters in this forum who feel exactly as I do but are too afraid that it might wound some over-sensitive weaklings feelings. Why?

Why? Why bother?
    It won't change the fact that they believe in fairytales, is it worth the effort to try and change their minds?
    Why would you want to try?
    I believe if you are not asking the questions of yourself, it's because you don't want to and prefer to live in the bubble.
    The self righteous, beatifically smiling bible-thumpers feel no qualms about barging into a forum that is clearly marked Atheists & Agnostics and demands wew respect the outmoded and archaic supersitious hand me downs that they cling to.

I have said before that I don't respect their beliefs, but I do respect their right to have them.
    Why is it that if I say something that the religuious ilk find offensive I am a trouble maker or an agitator or in need of working off aggression

Because they do not understand the frustration of seeing an otherwise intelligent person believe in such silliness.

Not so much losing my patience, but it's more difficult to say nothing, though I try.
    Are there others out there sick of having to "be nice" to others because "thats the done thing" (by which I mean respecting ridiculous personal beliefs and sanctimony without challenge for fear of hurting someones fragile little psyche)

It's rare that someone brings up their beliefs, but if they do, I cut them off at the pass and tell them I'm an Atheist. End of that particular conversation.

On a daily basis, I don't exactly run into hordes of the above :)

Advertisement