Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspiron 1501 Windows Vista

Options
  • 25-01-2008 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭

I am looking to upgrade my Ram, i currently have 1GB. I was on the website www.crucial.com and see you can buy 2 x 1GB cards, but i was wondering if it was possbile to buy one 2GB so i would have at least 2.512MB installed or has anyone any suggestions. I did some research and my spec is only cable of upgrading to 3.5GB maximum.

PS: I hope this was the right from Mod's, thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

That laptop supports DDR2 memory i think so you should get 2 matching ram sticks to enable dual channel mode, also its likely your gig of ram is made up of 2x512mb modules so a upgrade to 2x1gig modules of the same would possibly be better choice

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

yoyo wrote: »
    also its likely your gig of ram is made up of 2x512mb modules so a upgrade to 2x1gig modules of the same would possibly be better choice Nick

I opened it up and it does have 2 x 512MB, maybe i will get the 2 x 1GB, it looks fairly easy to take the current one's out and install the new memory.

Can you recommend any websites that sell memory?

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I opened it up and it does have 2 x 512MB, maybe i will get the 2 x 1GB, it looks fairly easy to take the current one's out and install the new memory.

Can you recommend any websites that sell memory?
    Yeah its a very straightforward operation :) . Try the usual E-Tailers Dabs, Komplett, Overclockers etc... But make sure you buy the type reccomended to you by the Crucial scanner, they will be identified something like PC XXXX , you should only buy the version crucial scanner tells ya :), you'll prob get 2 gig ram for that laptop for a little over €50 if you shop around :), also just to point out, make sure you buy laptop memory and not desktop ones! The laptop ones are bigger horizontally and less long...

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

yoyo wrote: »
    Yeah its a very straightforward operation :) . Try the usual E-Tailers Dabs, Komplett, Overclockers etc... But make sure you buy the type reccomended to you by the Crucial scanner, they will be identified something like PC XXXX , you should only buy the version crucial scanner tells ya :), you'll prob get 2 gig ram for that laptop for a little over €50 if you shop around :), also just to point out, make sure you buy laptop memory and not desktop ones! The laptop ones are bigger horizontally and less long...

Nick

I was looking on Crucial website and it comes at a nice €100.01, i think i'll go shop at komplett :)

thanks yoyo.

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I was looking on Crucial website and it comes at a nice €100.01, i think i'll go shop at komplett :)

thanks yoyo.
    If your laptop takes PC5300 RAM, this should do ya: edit. It costs under 50, but addon postage (13 euro from komplett) it will only cost a bit over 50 euro

Nick

Edit: My bad, thats only one 2 gig module I think according to komplett, you could buy two of these 1 gig modules http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=317342 instead should be ok :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement