Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cats by hp lovecraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Wow! Quite chilling. I assume the name of the story thats adapted from is ''cats'' then??? I haven't come across it in either of my Lovecraft anthologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Probably The Cats of Ulthar. I have to say, that narrator had one of the most preposterously bad accents I've ever heard.

Here's another (and in my opinion much better) visual/musical adaptation of Lovecraft by The Tiger Lillies and Alexander Hacke. The whole DVD is really great. Go to about 1:30 and listen to the fantastic song about rats in the walls :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Wow! The narration really sucked on both of those clips! I notice they didn't sing any of the The Rats in the Walls as Gaeilge.

If you double click on the first youtube clip it brings you to the actual youtube page and it's just a poem by Lovecraft. Didn't appear in the The Cats of Ulthar to the best of my memory and possibly didn't appear in any of his short stories either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Wow! The narration really sucked on both of those clips! I notice they didn't sing any of the The Rats in the Walls as Gaeilge.

Disagree with you about the second narrator, may not be the best but I wouldn't go so far as to say he sucks. It's meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek, should be obvious but obviously not.

As for the Tiger Lillies not singing in Irish, they're English (so I imagine they don't speak Irish) and that is one small piece at the end of the story. They weren't singing the stories, they were doing songs based on the stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Ah, yeah, I know, I was only joking about the singing in Irish bit. As for the narration, well, I guess if the second one was tongue in cheek then that works for what they're doing.

I googled The Cats by the way and it turns out to be a stand alone poem written by Lovecraft.

• Advertisement
Advertisement