Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TimeShares

Options
  • 25-01-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I fell for the sales pitch to go "view" a timeshare for the perks of a free show and gambling vouchers. It was stupid of me to buy on the spot but they were good sales people and I fell for it.
    Now looking back I dont want to pay the rest owing as I fell I wont benefit from the timeshare going away on the weeks I have.
    Also I know now that I was ripped of with the value of the weeks property and I know they charge alot for maintance and commission for selling the timeshare
    have anybody any opinions on this?
    Should I get rid of it or are there advantages to having timeshare

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Those timeshare guys are seriously good. They wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

I don't know that anyone here can help you, but I would advise seeking proper legal advice from someone who is knowledgeable in the area of property law and also familiar with the law of wherever your timeshare is.

Insofar as I can see there is no advantage to having timeshare. Whatever about the virtues and benefits of having property overseas, only having a portion of that property and the inflexibility of the arrangement is not very appealing.

I guess another option is to see if there are ways of swapping your timeshare slots with other timesharers in other properties. No doubt there are sites for timeshare swaps if you ask Uncle Google.

Sorry for your troubles. I hope you get some satisfactory resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

does anybody know what happens if we were to stop the payments on the mortgage on the timeshare.
    how would it affect us here in ireland. is there anything the people over in the states could do to seek action against us here??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moving this to Consumer Issues as I think it's more relevant there.

thanks for that,
    I just emailed the girls with the mortgage in the US and she said she didn know anything about how I would be affected here in Ireland regards paying back on the timeshare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

My parents were in Tenerife in November and signed up for some form of timeshare with what I would call the lowest form of life, scum, degenerate ********.

When they got back they realised they made a mistake and by jesus they had a nightmare with them.
    Firstly I got may parents to fax a cancellation form which had to be done within a cooling off period.
    I looked over the contacts and with a bit of research on the net realised that they had made my parents pay a deposit straight away which was illegal for them to do and therefore entitled to a refund through the credit card company(Though this may differ with all the different timeshares)

My Ma bought all the info down to the bank who said they would take care of it after issuing them new cc's.

The timeshare crowd rang them constantly after getting the cancellation fax and they got particularly nasty when I presume the credit card company got on to them. Ma rang me in bits after their calls. I can understand how they would talk some poor naive auld one out of all their money.

I got some good info from this site
    http://www.timeshare.org.uk/
    If you look up timeshare forums you will find more.It will differ depending on where the timeshare was purchased.

Luckily my parents got their deposit back through the cc company, though it all depends on the type of timeshare you do and you have to be quick in cancelling.

They are some scumbags tho. All the crap they went through for a supposed "200 fags and/or free holiday"

• Advertisement

where did u see that about not having to pay the deposit first,
    i know it says in my contract that the deposit had to be paid first but maybe that was illegal of them to do so or that things are done differently in the states

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

http://www.timeshare.org.uk/cancel.html

As I said above it varies on what you have signed for and differs from country to country.I think my parents go their money back due to EU directives.Timeshares are different to holiday clubs also.

The contract my parents signed was with RCI timeshares which are covered under the OTE,
    http://www.ote-info.com/
    This is for Timeshares in Europe but you may find some help there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

OP, commiserations on getting tangled up in that one. It happens easily.

Your best strategy is probably an exit strategy !

You need heavy duty advice from a good solicitor who knows their contract law and property law and, more importantly, who can get advice themselves from agents on the relevant laws of the place under whose laws the whole deal operates.

I read your posts to mean that the property is in the USA. The contract probably identifies the country whose laws govern the contract and that is likely to be the USA. As that place is half a world away in so many senses you need good technical legal advice to get a clear grasp of your legal obligations as well as your entitlements.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Those timeshare folks are scum indeed.

At the other hand, i do like it every now and then, to spend an afternoon with them, wasting their time when i have nothing better to do (i mean, with a sunburn i want to stay out of the sun anyway)

Where was this time share OP?
    Reason why i ask is afaik the Canary Islands have some special rules compared to the rest of Europe.

I really can not believe that anyone who ever fell for this timeshare scam is actually happy with it.

Advertisement