Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying pedigree puppy

• 25-01-2008 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a pedigree puppy and was looking on Donedeal.com seen one I would like to purchase but the seller has another litter that are cheaper,They are only vaccinated while the other litter are IKC reg microchipped etc. Should I be concerned that she has 2 litters of the same breed and same age? Or could it be that the cheaper ones aren't up to breed standard??Or could they be the one litter that are split up? She has 2 different ads for them.
    Any advice appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Be very careful buying from Donedeal,
    It is full of backyard breeders, there are some very ropey-looking puppies on it,

They have a "policy" about how they are dog lovers, and how they are against puppy farms etc, there were ads for puppies posted on that site every day from people saying "ideal Christmas gift", and "Can deliver for Christmas", I emailed Donedeal about it and nothing was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

LuckyStar wrote: »
    It is full of backyard breeders who have bred their dogs just to make money, there are some very ropey-looking puppies on it,

They have a "policy" about how they are dog lovers, and how they are against puppy farms etc, there were ads for puppies posted on that site every day from people saying "ideal Christmas gift", and "Can deliver for Christmas", I emailed Donedeal about it and nothing was done.

Thanks for the advice, puppy farms is what I want to avoid as I had a bad experience with one back in 1996. I contacted the buy and sell and they put a warning in their paper to warn people about this sort of thing.:)

The Buy & Sell wouldn't be a good place to look for a dog either. I have seen ads in it with 5 or 6 different breeds, with no landline number and the usual "can deliver". Now I am not saying anyone with a mobile or who will deliver a dog is a puppy farmer but you should be able to see the puppies in their home environment.

What breed are you looking for? The IKC should be able to put you in touch with a breeder. What happened with a puppy farm in 1996? Unfortunately there are lots of puppy farms in Ireland.

The Buy & Sell wouldn't be a good place to look for a dog either. I have seen ads in it with 5 or 6 different breeds, with no landline number and the usual "can deliver". Now I am not saying anyone with a mobile or who will deliver a dog is a puppy farmer but you should be able to see the puppies in their home environment.

What breed are you looking for? The IKC should be able to put you in touch with a breeder. What happened with a puppy farm in 1996? Unfortunately there are lots of puppy farms in Ireland.

Wont be looking in buy and sell at all,Long story about 1996:D though the case made page 3 of the independent I took the breeder to court over a dog I purchased that almost died when I got it home,she was a puppy farmer and the S.P.C.A helped me bring the case and gave me all the info about this breeder
    but unfortunately the warden told me what NOT to say on the day in court and because of this I lost my case. Lets just say he wasn't on my side.Too long of a story and I will probably get a backlash from people if I told it;)
    p.s I will contact the IKC.
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

One of the best ways is to avoid online sellers at all - some will be genuine but most will not! Contact the IKC & ask for a list of breeders for the dog you are interested in. Contact them all & ask lots of questions - read up on the breed you are interested in & find out all the potental problems i.e breathing problems in english bull dogs etc.

A good breeder will meet you in their home - will show you the female & sometimes the male as well. Anyone who says they will meet you elsewhere should be avoided at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

It is full of backyard breeders, there are some very ropey-looking puppies on it,

I agree with lucky star on this one.Buying a pup advertised on Donedeal can be tricky.

I bought a Gordon Setter I found on done deal.I was fully conciensious of the people who are just in it for the money-Backyard Breeders.
    But when I met the breeder I was convinced that he was breeding to increase the breeds numbers and out of general intersest in the breed.

I know have a healthy Gordon who's still kickin'.

If you have any doubts about the breeder,walk away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Personally if i was looking for a pedigree puppy i wouldnt go near anything that was advertised in papers or online. As someone already mentioned contact the IKC for the relevent breed secretary and they will put you in contact with breeders that might have puppies coming up. At least you know you will be getting a well cared for pup that has all the relevent health checks and injections. It might mean waiting a little longer and paying a little bit more but it is worth it. :)

I was in the vet's once with one of my cats, woman beside me had a "Labrador" puppy with her, 4 months old. A Labrador it wasn't- reddish coat (not the yellow or cream it's supposed to be), huge ears and eyes too close together. She bought it from the Buy & Sell, she met the seller in a car park and paid €400 for this "pedigree" puppy. The seller told her he'd send the IKC papers on, she never received them. In 2 months of having the puppy this was her 2nd time bringing it to the vet, it had an eye infection and had been sickly in general pretty much since she got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭bustershark

Always go to the breeders home to view the facilities there. If the breeder is unwilling to allow this, walk away. Any decent breeder will be proud to show you their facilities.
    At the very minimum, get to see the mother of the pup , but preferably get to see both parents.
    Some breeds have specific problems and reputable breeders will have health screened their breeding dogs for these problems and will have certs to prove it.
    Each breed have specific things to look out for, so get educated on what you need to look out for.
    Unfortunately, you get what you pay for and buying cheap will most likely mean a dog that will develop health problems down the road, meaning years of heartache for you and years of pain and suffering for the dog.

And whatever you do, never EVER buy a puppy because you feel sorry for it. If you buy a puppy because you have a feeling his home is a dive and you want to "save" him, all you are doing is funding his "breeder" to breed more dogs. Someone like that won't care that you paid money because you felt sorry for the dog, the fact that you paid money will be good enough for them!

It's a huge problem in America becuase over there you can just walk into a petshop and buy a puppy like you'd buy a loaf of bread. People walk into crap petshops, see the poor puppies living in cramped conditions and buy them out of pity, which makes the crap petshop a crap rich petshop, so they can buy even more puppies and treat them the same.

• Advertisement

Here is an abstract from the ad
    it seems to be genuine enough.But as I said she has another 5 puppies of the same breed but they don't have papers and I am confused as to why they don't:confused:
    Could it be because of health problems or because they don't meet the breed standard??
    I have rang the IKC and she gave my phone no: to some breeders who may have puppies soon.

I.K.C. Reg,Microchipped,Parvo Vacc,and Regularly Wormed.

Both Parents can be seen.

Care Sheets on Grooming and House Training given and 3 Generation Pedigree Paper.

I doubt not being of breed standard would bother most breeders (well the ones that use the papers/internet anyway)

I've seen some awful dogs as "IKC reg", sure some of these designer hybrids e.g. Malti-poos are down as IKC reg, when they are not even a recognised breed!

If you are not sure then dont part with your money, what breed is it?

Also don't mind too much puppies advertised as "show quality", it's very hard to tell when they're that small which one will turn out best, most of what you can go on when they're that small is their markings. Unless their parents are show quality, i.e., have actually won shows themselves, they're not just from these "champion bloodlines" that are in every ad! It seems every dog in the country has a grandfather who won Crufts...

Bettyboop,
    I just had a look at the ads now, I was able to figure out which ones you are looking at,
    That price difference is crazy, it only costs €13 to register a puppy out of a litter with the IKC and only €20 for each parent (from what I can gather from the IKC website),

The more expensive ones also seem to have 2 runts in the litter, unless the photo is misleading.

There is another very similar ad for the same breed, with the same phone number as the woman from the original ad, except the contact is a man this time. In the two ads you were looking at the woman gave 2 different mobile numbers?

That's THREE litters they have advertised. The third are at a different price again.

Bettyboop,
    I just had a look at the ads now, I was able to figure out which ones you are looking at,
    That price difference is crazy, it only costs €13 to register a puppy out of a litter with the IKC and only €20 for each parent (from what I can gather from the IKC website),

The more expensive ones also seem to have 2 runts in the litter, unless the photo is misleading.

There is another very similar ad for the same breed, with the same phone number as the woman from the original ad, except the contact is a man this time. In the two ads you were looking at the woman gave 2 different mobile numbers?

That's THREE litters they have advertised. The third are at a different price again.
    Thanks Luckystar I did notice the number of ads she had on a lot of different websites I never copped on to the ad with the man selling the same puppies
    you were right in what you said about runts in the litters I noticed that too.
    Will stay well clear;)

Advertisement