Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company holding information without consent

Options
  • 26-01-2008 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Just ordered a pizza from the local pizza chain. Have dealt with them several times but not recently.

They asked for my phone number and they obviously have my address stored as they found my address instantly.

Not I'm not here to complain as it actually makes the pizza order easier as I don't have to spell my address to a (usually) non-national.

But I never gave consent to them storing my addresss. I know when I dealt with Specsavers Opticans I had to sign a form to allow them to store my information under the Data Protection Act.
    I'm just interested from a legal perspestive, are Apache Pizza disregarding the Data Protection Act?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Specsavers probably asked you for consent to use your data for marketing purposes. I don't think companies are required to ask for consent for the storage of customer data for general business use, however if you're genuinely concerned about this you should ask the Data Protection Commissioner, who will be able to give you a definitive answer.

Regardless of how the data got into their systems, you have a right to know what information a company holds on you, a right to have that information corrected, and a right to have it deleted. Not that you'd wanted to do that if it's convenient for them to have it.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Incidentally, apache send pizzas to my girlfriend's house (whose name is jess), to Ms JASIKA. I wonder how many other people have similarly corrupted names in their systems :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭altered121

a company does not require Your permission to store details on customers, permission would be required if providing your details to other companies for marketing purposes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Or for automated decision-making, and a number of other purposes in-between.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Dominos very very rarley spell my second name correctly, OSullivan. Tis funny.

Can get confusing storing names, I asked them to remove one address and replace it with another and ordered my food. The food went to the old address. :/

• Advertisement
Advertisement