Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Polo Overheating

Options
  • 26-01-2008 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Hello Folks,
    I am looking for help here. I have a VW Polo which has developed a fault recently. It overheats after a couple of miles. Turning on the heater and fan to full seems to cool it down.

Could it be the thermostat ? If so are they difficult to fit.
    Somebody said it was probably the pump. The coolant level is fine and it is not leaking.
    Any advice?

danjo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Overheating is serious. Have it checked out before you damage the head gasket - or worse. It's not unusual for either the coolant pump or the thermostat to fail on a Polo. But as you have no coolant leak, I'd be inclined to suspect the thermostat. The simple (temporary) option is to remove the thermostat completely and see if the problem persists.

What year and model is the Polo?

EDIT : Polos are also known for faulty rad fan switches. So if your first couple of miles are in traffic then this could be your problem. Removing the stat in this instance will not really highlight the offending component.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Could be thermostat, radiator and a few other things, head gasket included.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Thanks folks,
    It's a 97 hatchback - the one that looks like a small van.

How difficult is it to remove the thermostat? Where is it ... on the radiator. Would it be worth buying the Haynes manual or is it a big job?

See the illustration below. Item no.13 is the stat which is housed in item no.10 located to the right of the cylinder head (as you look into the engine from the front of the car) - close to the distributor. If you remove it you will need to refill the coolant - water will do until you have identified the fault, at which point you should refill with G12.

121700ul4.png

Great information. Thanks crosstownk. Really appreciate your help. It never ceases to amaze me how helpful people are on the site. I'll give it a go.

Thanks again.
    danjo

• Advertisement

Remove the two hex head bolts (no. 14) watch out for the O ring, coolant will spill so do it with the engine cold. Remove the stat. Smear some vaseline on the O ring before reassembley.

To check the stat, dip it in a pot of boiling water and see if you can see it open.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question248.htm

I'll give it a go now that I know where to look and what to do.Hopefully it will solve the problem but at least I will know if it is the thermostat. Great work and thanks again.
    danjo

Advertisement