Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising handlebars

Options
  • 26-01-2008 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/2008/mountain_hardtail/6_series/6000e

Bought this bike yesterday, i'm 6ft and got largest frame size (21.5inch) but when got home and went cycling realised the handle bars are too low for me and im having to lean forward too far to grip handlebars. Can they be raised and what tools do i need, better to bring it back to retailer to raise the handlebars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Theres a couple of ways to do this...

1. you can get a pair of riser bars, I have 2" risers:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=202

2. you can change the stem, I have used a 40mm reach with 0 rise. 100mm reach makes you stretch more, and the rise obviously raises the position of the handlebar, there are lots of different combinations:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=685

You need to play with these to get the perfect setup, You might start with getting a riser bar & see how this works for you. However it looks like the stem on the bike is raised fairly high with spacers (from the photo).

Just be aware that by raising the bars etc, you effect the angles of the bike & can make it more difficult when climbing, however it will probably feel more comfortable pointing downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/2008/mountain_hardtail/6_series/6000e

Bought this bike yesterday, i'm 6ft and got largest frame size (21.5inch) but when got home and went cycling realised the handle bars are too low for me and im having to lean forward too far to grip handlebars. Can they be raised and what tools do i need, better to bring it back to retailer to raise the handlebars?

i really hate to say it but i think the bike might be to big for you. if you're uncomfortable it may well be that the handle bars are too far forward rather than too low down as it's horizontal distance that increases with frame size rather than the height of the saddle and handlebars relative to each other.

where'd you buy it? just out of interest? did they say it was deffo the right size for you?

you won't really be able to do much about the height of the bars without buying a new stem (the bit that connects the h-bars to the fork) i reckon, and if you're new to this you're better off letting someone who knows what they're at do it.

go back to the shop (i'm assuming you didn't buy it online here) and explain the prob, they should help if they're any good.

if you did buy it online and there's no one to go back to, then maybe buying something like this might help? i don't know if that will fit you particular bike though, you'd have to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

niceonetom wrote: »
    i really hate to say it but i think the bike might be to big for you.

ronbyrne2005
    , I wouldn't be too worried. Its amazing how you can change the feel of a bike just by changing a couple of simple parts.

I had my frame replaced recently from a medium to a large. The medium was too small & didn't let me extend my leg fully & I felt over stretched on the large, causing me fatigue in my lower back after a cycle. My first change was the bars, which I replaced with a 2" riser bar, this helped, but turned the bike into a wheely machine - literally when I began to climb, the front wheel would come off the ground. To fix this I got a shorter stem with no rise, this brought the handlebars closer to me. Now the bike climbs fine & feels much better on descents, the steering is also far more responsive due to the shorter stem.

Make your changes one at a time & you should get a good setup. + remember that the spacers can be removed or placed above or bellow the stem in order to change the set-up, this is what they are for, so don't feel bad about moving them about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

better to bring it back to retailer to raise the handlebars?
    Definitely bring it back to the retailer to get a proper fit for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I'm also 6ft and I'd say that frame'd be too big for me. My mtb's a 19, I think, my brother has the same one in a 21.5 but he's 6ft2 and it's just too big for me.

I'd definitely bring it back. Don't mess around trying to adjust parts, just get the bike that fits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

To make things worse I just noticed today that I have damaged the paintwork on the frame by wrapping a coil lock around the saddle when i went for my one and only cycle on the bike.The black paintwork is badly scratched and in places you can see the actual aluminium frame under the paint work. Will this affect them changing the bike for right frame size and if not how can such damage be repaired? I always used to lock a coil lock around my old cheaper trek MTB and it never scratched or damaged the paint work/frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 billyk

if the bike is for off road use do not get an adjustable stem, as the other lads are saying riser bars and a shorter stem is what you need

Advertisement