Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most qualified/educated lecturer?

Options
  • 26-01-2008 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Just wondering who's the smartest/nerdiest we've got in UCD :) Declan Downey I believe is qualified in law as well as history... not sure of the particulars though.

Joe Kiniry (Comp Sci) has quite a bit of knowledge floating about... According to his CV he has 2 'B.S.'s, which I guess are BScs...
    So he's got 2 BSc's (maths, and computer science) from Florida State, 2 Masters (computer science) from Uni Massachusetts and California IT, as well as a PhD from California IT.

eep! :eek:

So come on, help me find the most educated... You've gotta beat 5 degrees.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I think Prof Patrick Brennan is pretty amazing.

He only has the one PHD but man, the guy is a research genius - I've heard of so many people who've had him as supervisors or even with other supervisors to whom he's handed them papers when they started and they've no idea why the hell he's told them to read them.

A year or two later when they're finishing up the papers he's given them are the exact ones they need to have a complete paper.

He basically knows you're entire thesis in his head before you even know what you're doing.

Not to mention he's an amazing teacher to learn from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Ah, but don't make the mistake of talking about academic qualifications as if that's all that matters. When it comes to technical subjects such as Engineering, real-world experience is just as important as letters behind your name. You can't become a Chartered Engineer on academic qualifications alone, and I wouldn't trust career advice from a Professor who's been in academia his/her whole life. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

Have to agree with stepherunie. Patrick Brennan is the the best !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

stereoroid wrote: »
    Ah, but don't make the mistake of talking about academic qualifications as if that's all that matters. When it comes to technical subjects such as Engineering, real-world experience is just as important as letters behind your name. You can't become a Chartered Engineer on academic qualifications alone, and I wouldn't trust career advice from a Professor who's been in academia his/her whole life. :rolleyes:
    True enough, and I gotta big up Joe Kiniry on this as well! :D

Founder or co-founder of 5 companies since 1996
    Consultant and/or board member of several other firms (there's 6 listed)

And there's a bunch of other sh*t too........

I don't have Patrick Brennan for anything... sounds good though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

not a lecturer but... hugh brady anyone? according to his wiki:

Dr Hugh R. Brady MB BCh MD FRCPI PhD is President and Chief Officer of University College Dublin.

thats alota letters after his name!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭newbusiness

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Joe Kiniry (Comp Sci) has quite a bit of knowledge floating about... According to his CV he has 2 'B.S.'s, which I guess are BScs...
    So he's got 2 BSc's (maths, and computer science) from Florida State, 2 Masters (computer science) from Uni Massachusetts and California IT, as well as a PhD from California IT.

eep! :eek:

That man's a freak, in the best possible fashion!

Great lecturer, really easy going but encourages you to work hard by explaining material well and making it sound easy.

One to one I always got a sense that he disliked me. He got on really well with nearly everyone else tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

The qualifications don't really matter in a university- it's the quality and impact of the research that sets the various lecturers apart. For instance, Declan Downey hasn't written a single authored book or journal article in over ten years (according to the school website). Whereas Prof. Patrick Brennan has authored 50 articles since 1999, which is very impressive to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Joe seems like a great lecturer, even though I've only had him for 3 lectures. But he is absolutely crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

dhaddock wrote: »

Dr Hugh R. Brady MB BCh MD FRCPI PhD is President and Chief Officer of University College Dublin.

What modules does he even teach now? I don't think he's doing anything for second year history is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Sorry, but a lot of letters don't mean he isn't an ignoramus.

• Advertisement

Ernie Ball wrote: »
    Sorry, but a lot of letters don't mean he isn't an ignoramus.

Yeah but he is still a great lecturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

How would we know?

He hasn't taught in UCD since 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Many Lecturers have qualifications up their teeth, but that doesnt mean that they are good at teaching, i can think of a well known Lecturer in the politics department with vast knowledge but poor teaching skills.

From my time i can say that the best lecturers are Steve Loyal and Kieran Allen of the Sociology Department, and Richard Sinnot from the Department of Politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Being qualified in Law and History is quite common.

Downey has published feck all compared to most people. Dermot Keogh in UCC has a ton of publications and previously worked as a journalist. I'd agree with the other poster about not being totally into lecturers who have not stepped outside academia. Too many ivory towers in UCD.

How would we know?

He hasn't taught in UCD since 2004.

How the hell did I manage to confuse Brady for Gough? Serves me right for trying to multi-task in work..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

Many Lecturers have qualifications up their teeth, but that doesnt mean that they are good at teaching, i can think of a well known Lecturer in the politics department with vast knowledge but poor teaching skills.

From my time i can say that the best lecturers are Steve Loyal and Kieran Allen of the Sociology Department, and Richard Sinnot from the Department of Politics.

all time favourite lecturer, the man is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Brimmy wrote: »
    How the hell did I manage to confuse Brady for Gough? Serves me right for trying to multi-task in work..

Wonderful lecturer. His voice is just fantastic.

The American guy we had in History for 3rd was brilliant too. Mitch Lerner was his name. Not sure how many qualifications he had but he was fantastic.

Same for Elva Johnston and Howard Clarke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I know qualifications don't a good lecturer make, but I'm just interested in finding out who's the most educated... out of interest.

Hugh Gough is a fantastic lecturer though :) For one of our lectures about the French Revolution, he played Beethoven's 3rd Symphany in the background... was great! :D Very dramatic, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Ha! Not really...

All med students get MB BCh BAO when they graduate. The MD is basically just a year or two of reseacrh when you reach registrar level and the FRCPI is an exam you have to do to become a consultant. All consultants would have that. PhD amongst all that isn't bad though!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

As far as non-medical science goes, who would ye put in the pole position?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fluther

No english students here??
    In my honest opinion Prof. Alan fletcher is the best lecturer i've encountered in UCD. He's the professor of Medieval English and is easily the most entertaining and engaging lecturer i have. Really stands out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Dr Philip Cottrell.. fantastic, really interesting and engaging. Brings the characters of Art History to life. Hope to have him again.
    He's not afraid to be crude in the name of art history :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Brendan Purcell in philosophy is incredibly qualified, he's the priest you see on primetime and the news all the time. he must speak about 6 languages

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Paul Curran in the elec department is an absolute genius. Ditto for Annraoi de Paor who's retired a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

dunno who's the most qualified lecturer i've had but since the thread is leaning towards best lecturers i'd say Joe Brady and Gerald Mills from the Geography department are in the outstanding category. both of their lecturing styles make complicated and difficult topics that more easier to understand yet making them interesting. you just know the difference between great lecturers and good lecturers

of my limited exposure to other subjects i found Graeme Warren and Tadhg O'Keefe in Archaeology and Fintan Costello and Joe Carty from Comp Sci to be excellent lecturers aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Red Alert wrote: »
    Paul Curran in the elec department is an absolute genius. Ditto for Annraoi de Paor who's retired a few years ago.

"A genius is only born every second generation"

His poor kids...

Sometimes I think he is actually Euler and after discovering so many things he invented a way to keep himself alive so long and then changed his name. He's still not a professor.

Feehly's the best lecturer though in the whole eng department

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

All the qualifications and education in the world are meaningless qualities in a lecturer if they are a boring uninspiring bastard. Give me an entertaining person who can motivate and engage over someone with 5 degrees and 2 Phds anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Romantic S

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Brendan Purcell in philosophy is incredibly qualified, he's the priest you see on primetime and the news all the time. he must speak about 6 languages
    I've heard people curse his name to hell. I had him for a course on evolution. People who took that course that it was one of the most eye-opening courses they ever took, to others, it was as decipherable as Urdu chick-lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ucd_guy

If you're on about publications, the new Prof of Medicine in Vincents is ridiculously qualified...

Check out his bit. As well as all the letters after his name, he's had 14 journal articles and 3 book chapters published in the last year. :eek: Most people'd be lucky to get all that on the CV over a career... He's got 81 published articles on PubMed....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

ucd_guy wrote: »
    If you're on about publications, the new Prof of Medicine in Vincents is ridiculously qualified...

Check out his bit. As well as all the letters after his name, he's had 14 journal articles and 3 book chapters published in the last year. :eek: Most people'd be lucky to get all that on the CV over a career... He's got 81 published articles on PubMed....

I heard he is very good as research supervisor.

As for Patrick Brennan he has a great approach to publishing and getting his students to publish. He churns out lots of quality publications.

Advertisement